Explanation of different Crossover Characteristics needed!!

Jase

Distinguished Member
If someone would like to explain the different characteristics of crossovers and what it all means, how it works etc as I´m sure I´m not the only one that is confused by it.

We have THX crossovers doing their thing, others doing something else. By explanation I mean the degree of roll off etc and what the octave, 3rd order etc bits actually mean!

Many thanks in advance.:)

R

rob_w

Octave/roll off info::)

an increase of 1 octave = doubling Hz

ie: 90Hz - 180Hz = 1 octave
1Khz - 2Khz = 1 octave

slope is severity of roll of (decrease in volume) above x-over point.(also, at x-over point it is down by the order already)

order = slope as such

1st order = 6 Db per octave
2nd order = 12 Db per octave
3rd order = 18 Db per octave

so if you have a 12 Db per octave x-over set to 100Hz, it will be -12DB @ 100Hz, [email protected] 200Hz, - [email protected] etc.etc..

This is very general, as there are different types of x-overs which deal with how the 2 drivers add up together - butterworth, linkwitz riley, bessel, chebychec - these all have slightly different curves....

hth

Rob

U

uncle eric

Originally posted by Jase
If someone would like to explain the different characteristics of crossovers and what it all means
Are you after Mike K's job :rolleyes:

Jase

Distinguished Member
Thanks Rob!:) Now it´s clearer.

Cheers for the link Ian.

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: We review Dune and ask which is the best decade for horror movies?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom