1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Explaination for 7.1/6.1 DTS Neo etc.

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by nictry, Jan 27, 2004.

1. nictry

nictry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +601
    I have looked around and can't seem to find a definitive description of the various sound options for the Amps now available? I have a Sony 445 which does DTS and DD 5.1 the time has come to look at a decent (although price constrained :rolleyes: ) new amp but I can't decide based upon current speaker set up etc.

So what do I want to know? Can someone explain how 6.1 works ie where speakers are positioned, same with 7.1? I understand that DPL2 somehow chnages stereo into 5.1 (not sure how succesfully though!) but really after some useful info that will allow me to make a more informed decision on what Amp to buy :clap:

Also currently have Missions for front and rears assuming I need some new speakers to benefit from 6.1 or 7.1 any suggestions?

Thanks for any help offered :smashin:

2. Malky1903

Malky1903

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    Position of 6.1 is front left, centre, front right. Rear left, rear centre and rear right. Sub anywhere in room.

Position of 7.1 is Front Left, Centre, Front Right. Surround left and surround right. Rear left, rear centre and rear right. Again, the sub just about anywhere in the room.

DPLII is as close as you'll get to DD5.1 without it being DD5.1. DPLII does a remarkable job at turning a stereo signal into simulated surround sound.

What model are your Missions? Try and get speakers from the same range if you can so that they'll match tonally with your existing speakers.

3. nelius

nelius

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Malabbey: I think there is no rear center speaker in a 7.1 setup. Just rear left, rear right.

4. Malky1903

Malky1903

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    Funny you should mention that as I realised that when I was lying in bed last night. :clown: :blush:

5. Galaxy

Galaxy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Otherwise a faultless explanation Maabbey! :laugh:

Best regards David

6. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    When I upgraded my 5.1 to 7.1 I presumed the best thing to do was get another pair of the same type as the existing rears .. not sure if it's the 'right' thing to do but it works well with my AE EVO1s as surrounds and rears .. not quite Mission class of course. ;)

7. nictry

nictry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +601
    OK, being cheeky now but any suggestions for a nice 7.1 amp (pref not costing the earth though!!) I must admit the Denon 3803 has really caught my eye but price wise it's a bit ouch!!

8. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +925
    The earlier Denon 3801 and 3802 are both 7 channel amps as well. The 3801 doesn't have Dolby PL2 or adjustable crossovers like the 3802. If you wait a little while then the new 3805 is due to be released soon and this will bring down the price of the 3803.:)

9. bobbypunk

bobbypunk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    or even drop to the 2803 retains most of the "features" saying that it will cost you more than a 3802 so i'd go for that option.