1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Explain this scaling thing for me!

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs Forum' started by CLH, Jan 5, 2005.

Tags:
  1. CLH

CLH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    I'm using a Denon 1910 into a Sharp GA4.

I can select (using DVI) the normal res progressive as well as 720p and 1080i.

However, all my aspect ratios appear to be absolutely normal. The quality is clearly increased within the picture on 720p and the screen is telling me that 720 p is being received.

The reason I've asked is that some posts appear to suggest that the aspect ratios are zoomed a little (if that's my understanding) and others say that there is a border. On 1:85:1 the picture fills the screen in the same way. On 2:35:1 the normal borders are present.

Can someone please explain?

2. richjthorpe

richjthorpe
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As far as I'm aware, the number of lines is taken from 576 to 720 in upscaling. As the Sharps are 768, it's internal scaling makes up for the other 48 lines (24 top, 24 bottom) that are missing. With 1080, the tv downscales to 768.

IIRC, the Philips doesn't do this and there are black lines top and bottom so to get rid of them I suppose you could zoom.

Richie.

3. richjthorpe

richjthorpe
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    By the way, how good is the picture and do you get any problems with the Denon 1910 upscaling ? Apparently there can be some Macroblocking through Component, anything through DVI ?

Richie.

4. CLH

CLH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    None as far as I can see. The picture is excellent. Even watching Frasier Season 1 (PAL) which doesn't have the worlds best picture it's very good.

I do notice that I can't change the ratio on the screen for 4:3 material when using DVI which isn't such a great loss.

I don't use component but when I tested it it seemed fine.

5. CLH

CLH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Thanks BTW for the explanation!

6. sjb8080

sjb8080

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    'scuse me jumping in here, but I have a question.

So it's like this: the Denon reads 576 lines from the dvd, which it upscales to 720; the sharp then upscales again to 768 lines. Two lots of upscaling give two opportunities for digital artifacts to be added. Isn't it better to do it in one go : i.e. let the denon upscale directly to 768 (can it do this?) or leave it all to the sharp.

(I assume the denon does a better job of upscaling, am I right?)

7. richjthorpe

richjthorpe
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Denon only scales to 720 with the Faroudja chip (Award winning apparently) and the Sharp does the rest. I suppose it's a matter of seeing the difference by switching between Denon's upscaler and Sharps upscaler and seeing which is better.