Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Explain this HDMI to DVI thingy to me please!

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs Forum' started by CLH, Nov 20, 2004.

Tags:
  1. CLH

CLH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    IF I get a Sharp 32" GA3/4/5 etc can I merely use a HDMI to DVI adapter (say from a Denon DVD player) and get audio through that method.

If I can't get audio that way is there any point having anything other than DVI on the player (despite the fact that for Denon you have to pay more to get DVI because HDMI is the preferred standard)

2. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    No. DVI is video only. If you use a HDMI to DVI-D lead, you will need to manually connect up audio. I believe that the Sharp models that you specify also have a digital feed in that can be associated with the DVI input. This will need to be on a seperate digital out on the DVD player.

-Ian

3. CLH

CLH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Thanks Ian

IS there an optical/coaxial in on the rear of the Sharp then or just normal stereo inputs???

4. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    I thought that there was a digital input but having just checked the Sharp manuals for both the GD1E and GA3E, I am mistaken. The DVI connector (AV5) has a 3.5mm analogue input associated with it. It will probably be good enough for the internal speakers. I ended up buying a Loewe Xelos which does have 2 coax connectors, but I don't use them since my DVD sound is via my surround sound system.

-Ian

5. CLH

CLH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    So effectively I'd need a two channel stereo audio lead terminating in a 3.5mm jack (ie like a headphone one).

I plan on using just the internal speakers. Would a 3.5mm jack be still perfectly acceptable?

6. PhilipH

PhilipH
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Leaving aside the physical connection for the moment (3.5mm jack socket v phono connectors) the simple fact is you're using the sets built in speakers. These are built-to-a-budget units connected to the main TV set via a bit of bell wire and a couple of spring clip terminals driven by a buil in amplifier that by no stretch of the imagination could be called hifi.

It really isn't worth worrying about whether the 3.5mm jack socket is up to the job of handling an audio signal (it is by the way) when - by the simple fact that you are using the sets built in speakers - indicates that audio quality is *NOT* your primary concern (whereas convenience is).

This is not putting down the Sharp LCD's in any way for their choice of connectivity (the Samsung LCD I had also had a 3.5mm stereo audio input for the PC port and I have a SHarp on order), it's not putting down the Sharp for its built in audio amps or speakers (they have to be built to an acceptable price / size otherwise we'd all complain about that) and it's not putting you down at all - just trying to give a realistic indication on how important it is that they use a 3.5mm jack for that input rather than phonos (which are IMO also a pretty poor connector in most bits of consumer kit).

Phil

7. CLH

CLH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    So a 3.5mm jack is just fine then ;)

Also, every review I've seen suggests that the sound from these speakers is amongst the best from a TV.

Are they wrong or just marking according to flat panel standards?

In other words how might it compare with my 8 watt Sony 28" not very flat Trinitron??

8. PhilipH

PhilipH
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    LOL - Yup - I was hoping you wouldn't take me as being a patronising b*st*rd from that last reply.

Just for the record I have no idea how it will sound compared to your Trinitron as I haven't used the internal speakers in a TV for - hmmmm - maybe 10 or 12 years and even my wife grumbles that she can't hear what's going on on a normal TV set round at her parents. :D

Phil

9. CLH

CLH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Thanks Phil,

I've regressed a step in that I sold all my audio surround kit as it took up too much space and money.

What I strive for is the best vision with acceptable sound, hence the choice of the Sharp.

My Sony TV is absolutely fine overall, not enough control (i.e one bar to loud, the other too quiet etc) but wondered just how good this Sharp digital 1 bit amp stuff really is.

10. Judders

Judders
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    CLH - I've recently changed my Philips flat CRT for the Sharp 32GA4E. The Philips did have excellent sound - 110w RMS, 6 speakers (including 2 x 5" subs) + 2 surrond (and it was the size of a small car!) so I was expecting to be really disappointed with the onboard Sharp speakers. However, I've been pleasantly surprised :) Perhaps that's beacuse I was expecting the worst though??? The virtual surround setting is also spookily effective - a first to my ears from any 'virtual' system. Anyway....bottom line, I'm quite happy living with the onboard set-up until I've saved enough pennies for a full-on Denon/MS Genie package :cool: It's certainly acceptable all things considered and my Mrs. would tell you there's no need for any additional audio equipment at all - but then again, don't they all? ;)

HTH

Jud