1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Explain running native res to me please

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by MrDemon, Nov 4, 2004.

1. MrDemon

MrDemon
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK I want a HTPC to run my plasma screen which i have not got yet because its to frecking mind bending.

every thing will run through the pc so the screen must have 1024 res and have a dvi input.

Now what i do not understand is running it in native format ie pixel for pixel.

Can all screen which have hi res and a dvi imput do this or not ????

please explain this to me and why some screens cannot do do it

thanks

MrD

2. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Any digital display device, ie. LCD/DLP projector, plasma TV etc., has a fixed resolution because the display is a matrix of individual elements, ie. the pixels, that make up the image .. whereas a CRT device uses a moving stream of electrons to 'paint' the image and this can have a variable resolution.

Now, if a display has a resolution of say 1280 x 720 it will always want to display any signal sent to it at that size, which means if you have a PC with a desktop of say 1024x768 the display will re-size, aka. 'scale', the input signal to fit. To do this is uses a 'scaler'. Scalers in most low and mid-level displays are okay but not great and often produce an image which is 'soft', perhaps a bit 'muddy' and generally lacking in detail and not a good as it could be.

Of course, in this example the input signal has an aspect ratio of 4:3 and the display is 16:9 so the image will be distorted as well as resized.

PCs are better at scaling and with post-processors like FFDSHOW can be superb and out-perform dedicated scalers costing hundreds of pounds or more.

So, if you output a signal from the PC at the display's 'native resolution' you get what's called "1:1 mapping" where each pixel in the projector matches (or 'maps' to) each pixel in the source signal. When this happens the display disables its' internal scaler and displays the image unaltered.

This process is independent of connection type, ie. DVI, component etc.

Hope this is clear. :)

3. GrahamC

GrahamC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    Well done KraGorn, I dont think I have read a more straight forward explination to an AV topic for Joe public than that. Mr. amin you should cut and paste that into FAQs. :thumbsup: two thumbs fresh.

4. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Thank you. :)

5. MrDemon

MrDemon
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ok so thats that bit sorted thanks. :)

Now why am i being told that some consumer screens will not bypass the scaler and give 1 to 1 pixel mapping.

I dont want to go and spend 2.5k and find out I have one of these screens.

Atm i am looking at the Hitachi 42PD5200 but will I have a problem with the alvis pannel, and what about the 42PMA500e I know this screen allows it but it looks the same as the 5200 but costs £500 more.

Then there is panasonic none of these look any good to me but every one raves about them on this forum. I looked at the USA spec for 2005 and there far better than ours, full res dvi and 4000:1 contrast we dont seem to have that spec in the UK.

The pioneer business pannel looks the best out there but thats 4k even on internet pricing.

Any help on screens would be great thanks

D

6. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    The only experience I have with not being able to obtain 1:1 mapping was with a Panasonic AE300 projector. I never fully understood the reasons for this but it was something to do with the resolution and refresh rates that were selectable for the PC graphics card, for some reason the card couldn't be programmed so that it output a 100% identical signal .. one could get really very close and for video playback it was fine but the desktop exhibited a couple of narrow vertical bands.

I have no knowledge of LCD TVs or plasmas so really have no idea if there are areas where a mis-match occurs .. or maybe it's just a case that these screens always engage the scaler regardless of input signal.