Explain recording modes please

P

Probus dick

I have Panasonic DMREZ25 & I am baffled by the manual. I need an explanation of whether & how I can choose different recording modes to suit the length of the program. I am using DVD+RW discs & wonder whether it is worth buying DVD-RAM discs. Is it possible to record, for example, a 2h.30min film without loss of picture quality ? Thanks:confused:

ROYOLD

I never use anything except DVD-R and DVD-RAM on my six Panasonics.

For a 2:30 recording just set the FR mode for that required time.

Use DVD-R for films you wish to keep.

Gavtech

Administrator
I have Panasonic DMREZ25 & I am baffled by the manual. I need an explanation of whether & how I can choose different recording modes to suit the length of the program. I am using DVD+RW discs & wonder whether it is worth buying DVD-RAM discs. Is it possible to record, for example, a 2h.30min film without loss of picture quality ? Thanks:confused:

All recording on DVD involves some degree of loss, due to MPEG encoding.

The amount of compression is variable so that one can sacrifice quality to gain storage length.

Generally the best compromise of quality v quantity is given by the default SP setting which you should aim not to fall below if you can avoid it.

SP gives 2 hours nominally per disk. [ In practice about 2 hours 8 minutes when high speed dubbing ]

Exceptionally, as you point out, you will want to record a program , say 2½ hours long, in which case using FR mode, as Royold says above, is the best compromise.

FR mode [ Flexible record] compresses optimally to get a recording to fit exactly on a disk [ actually 99% to leave room for overheads ]
This is a better option than choosing, say LP, because that would over compress unnecessarily.

So to answer your question - You cannot record a 2:30 film without losing some quality... but you can minimise the loss by using FR mode.

There is a general consensus that you can push a disk to near 3 hours maximum... but beyond that the losses become too intrusive.

earwax

To two elderly (70 y.os) how noticeable would the diffrecne in quality be between SP and the next lowe modes? We no longer have 20 20 vision and our specs do not get cleaned every 5 mins:D

sjw

Hope you don't mind the interruption...;)
FR is great for adjusting the bitrate to fill a 4.5GB disc.
Let's say I want to dub more than one disc worth at a time though and dub to disc later.. eg I have 3 x 2.5 hr programmes on Sky+ and wany to copy them to HDD (say, overnight) so I can high speed copy them to DVD. The mode I want is FR but FR would only be 2.5 hrs - not the 7.5 hrs I want but with a bitrate of an equivalent of 2.5 hrs (if you know what I mean..) Is there a simple way of doing this on a Panny? I know FR is good for recording in between preset recording levels but it will obviously only do that (at the right quality) for one 2.5 program. eg on another (Pioneer?) recorder I could set the recording level to 2.5 hr quality, transfer the 7.5 hours worth (real time obviously) and then split it into 3 and high speed copy to 3 DVD's..
(just had an idea - 3 separate timer events? anything simpler?)

Gavtech

Administrator
(just had an idea - 3 separate timer events? anything simpler?)

I think your last idea is probably the best... in terms of ultimate quality / time compromise... if you want to high speed dub.

The only alternative would be to real time dub from Sky+ to HDD [ in SP or even XP to keep loss low ] and then Real time FR each individual film to disk.

... But apart from taking longer... that is a double encoding.... not desirable.

Gavtech

Administrator
To two elderly (70 y.os) how noticeable would the diffrecne in quality be between SP and the next lowe modes? We no longer have 20 20 vision and our specs do not get cleaned every 5 mins:D

How long is a piece of string? ... :D

I can only say suck it and see.

Quality degradation may not happen in a way you expect . A static picture can be almost perfect even at low qualities... The real problems of compressed low quality digitally degraded video show up on movement.

P

Probus dick

Thanks for helpful suggestions,guys. What I am still baffled by is how to select FR (or any other mode) when selecting a program to record.

Gavtech

Administrator
Thanks for helpful suggestions,guys. What I am still baffled by is how to select FR (or any other mode) when selecting a program to record.

For manual recordings , preselect the mode by cycling through the option with the 'Rec Mode' mode button [ second bottom row of remote ]

For timer recordings , it is one of the parameters in the timer screen along with start stop times etc... and can be changed there by moving the focus onto it and using the North / South buttons to change.
{ see page 20 of the manual }

The machine needs to know the length of a recording to perform an FR recording in order to perform the necessary compression calculation. In timer mode it gets this automatically from the timing of the recording... and so FR is an option in the timer screen.

In manual recording you have to specify a length of recording time, so FR mode is not immediately accessible. You will find it in Functions / To others.

DGP999

Standard Member

I did some research recently for a partially blind person. It turns out that people in this situation think that because their eyesight is not so good that they dont need a better tv picture. You should start with the premise that your eyesight degrades a picture by a certain amount and that if you go for higher quality in the first place you will see a better picture than if you go for a low quality picture.
If you haven't tried it yet, go to a display room and look at HDReady TVs, see if you can find one with a DVD player connected with HDMI or RGB cable. I think you maybe surprised.

TobyW

This happens to all of us, eventually. By coincidence, last night I myself reached a threshold where I donned specs to watch my 42" plasma TV.

I inserted a 3.5 hr disk (Pioneer 530) and saw compression artefacts that I hadn't noticed before. My first reaction was "Oh bother, was I wrong to record all my disks in 3.5 hr mode?", but as soon as I sat back to a sensible viewing distance the artefacts became unnoticable.

I have noticed similar effects with some of the LCD TV's displayed in the shops.

So before you make any decisions, consider whether you might one day upgrade your specs and/or your TV!

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung QN95B 4K QLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom