1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Explain Progressive Scan ?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by William Pulles, Mar 29, 2001.

1. William Pulles

William Pulles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you are willing to spend some time reading, I would recommend you visit the following website for a really excellent (but very detailed) explanation on what progressive scan is all about. There is also a very revealing review of a number of progressive scan DVD players and their performance.

The website to go to is:
    www.hometheaterhifi.com

Look at their Feature Articles and their current issue contents.

Hope this helps you.

William

2. Ludae

Ludae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Also click the link at the top of this page to a work in progress on that very subject.

The reason progressive scan is not available for PAL territory DVD is due to the lack of a copy protection standard for 576 line progressive output. This matter is being worked on and will hopefully be resolved towards the end of 2001.

There are very many progressive scan DVD players on the market, most of them from the USA. There about 40 or more at the moment from most DVD player manufacturers.

3. peopleIknow

peopleIknow
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I recently purchased a Sanyo PLV-30 Projector and so am new to all this.

Reading through various treads there's mention of Progressive scan ?

Apologies if these questions have already been covered but can anyone explain :

My understanding/questions are:-

1/ Improvement over interlace, but are we taking a marked improvement, are is it one of these if you study the picture careful you will notice some minor improvement.
    2/ Is my projector (Sanyo PLV-30) up to the job of showing these improvements
    3/ At the moment only available for region 1, why.
    4/ Are there any plans to introduce Progressive scan on Region 2.
    5/ What players are currently available that output Progressive scan

Thanks