1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Experts - Power amp or good AV receiver?

Discussion in 'AV Pre-Amp/Processors & Power Amps' started by IsoArska, Sep 30, 2003.

1. IsoArska

IsoArska

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Probably an easy question for you experts out there...

Background:
    Along with my speakers, I'm planning on an amplifier upgrade. My current system is Yamaha DSP-A5, which drives the center and surrond channels and Sphinx Myth 5 integrated amp for main channels. I have connected Yamaha's L/R pre-outs to Sphinx's line in.

Problem:
    Until now I have planned of purchasing a high quality receiver to replace my old DSP-A5 mainly to be able to drive my HTM1 center better and also to take advantage of the 5.1 EX and DTS 6.1 systems. But now I have an another alternative: How about buying a 5-channel power amp, like Rotel 1075 and a cheaper receiver, like new Yamaha's 7-channel RXV-1440 (although twice as expensive as my current AV-amplifier :eek: ) to be only used as a processor, so that I could route my L/R preouts to Sphinx and rest of preouts to Rotel? Can I do that? I know that preouts work with integrated amps, but do they work alike with poweramps too?

Also (if I can do that) which one gives me a better quality? HQ receiver or lower quality receiver with better power amp?

Thanks for suggestions.

Tommi

(Sorry if my explanation is confusing...I have learned english mostly through movies and computer games, OK a little bit of it in school too :eek: )

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Depends on what the current system is lacking and what you are looking to improve upon.

3. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    One route really is a bit of a compromise...combining a good power amp with a not so good receiver.
    Using a good quality receiver(one of the Pioneer or Denon's maybe)is a good idea,neat,and tidy,but cuts down upgrading options.
    Another alternative is the Rotel power amp partnered with perhaps a Rotel processor,and avoid duplicating various channels of amplification,and get better sound quality into the bargain.
    You could also consider ex-dem or second hand amps/processors.

A lot depends on your overall budget.
    Very well done with the English BTW....much better than my Finnish!

4. pwiles1968

pwiles1968

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I would recommend upgrading the DSP A5, There are much better sounding amplifiers around now, my last amp was the A5 and the Marantz sounded so much better (stereo and 5.1/6) even before I got the mono-blocks.

What is more important to you Music or Movies?

5. NinjaKi11a

NinjaKi11a
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm in a similar situation and was thinking about getting a 640SE and connecting the pre-outs to my Nad C370. It sounds an odd question, but will the sound quality on the front L&R be better or worse than if it had come straight through the Yamaha? I realise the NAD is a better amp, but would it be a 'cleaner' sound if it came direct?

Cheers