Experts on HDMI please!

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by InsideInfo, Sep 23, 2005.

1. InsideInfo

InsideInfo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :hiya: I would appreciate advice on the following matter.

My TV is a Sharp Aquos LC-32GD1E which has component and HDMI input and I am now about to buy a DVD recorder, having waited many months for the arrival of machines which fit my requirements. These are ideally, HDMI; two tuners (preferably both Freeview but that still seems likely to be well into next year if ever, so one Freeview and one analogue may have to do); a wide range of formats and lastly a large hard drive.

The problem is that next year we will probably see the arrival of HDTV (Sky and Telewest and maybe NTL?) and assuming this gets connected to the HDMI input on the TV, it will only leave component available for the DVD recorder.

My questions are therefore:

1. Will the HDTV Sky/Cable boxes have HDMI output (don't see how they can have anything else and still be HDTV)?

2. Will the Sky/Cable boxes also have component out because not all that many people have HDMI enabled TV's and having HDTV boxes without an alternative output would greatly restrict the sale of the new HDTV services.

3. Which would be the best device to connect to the TV, the HDTV box or the HDMI DVD recorder in order to make the most of the HDMI input?

4. If the DVD recorder has to use component to leave the HDMI free for the Sky/cable HDTV box, is there any point in waiting for a recorder with HDMI and if so why?

As far as I can see, there are no current machines which fit all of my requirements. The Sony RDR-HX1010 will have HDMI and a large hard drive but only one (Freeview) tuner. The Toshiba RD-SX64 will have HDMI and the hard drive but only one (analogue) tuner, and the Panasonic DMREH60D has the large hard drive and two tuners (one of each) but no HDMI. The point is, if the answers to the above questions suggest that the DVD recorder should be connected to the component input on the TV, then the HDMI out couldn't be used anyway and the Panasonic would therefore seem to be my best choice (unless you know better!).

I would appreciate any advice and also suggestions on alternative DVD recorders which may be suitable or due soon and which I have not mentioned (apart from Philips!). Thanks in advance. :lease:

2. alanesmith

alanesmith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i have the same screen as u, and there is no HDMI input. only DVI

3. nikyzf

nikyzf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    HDMI is essentially miniature DVI, but with added audio. You can get an adaptor to connect HDMI to DVI. This will be video only, but you'd probably have separate audio connections to your AV or hi-fi system anyway.

4. pingu

pingu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    For Sky, yes. Don't know about cable, but I would imagine so.

The first generation of Sky HD boxes will have component out. Sky have stated that due to a significant number of displays not having HDMI or HDCP compliant DVI inputs, their programming will not initially be HDCP protected and can therefore be output over analogue component. However, the decision to apply HDCP lies with the content provider so this may be different for non-Sky produced material (e.g. movies). Again, don't know about cable.

Depends - if there is HDCP protected content you want to see from the HDTV box, then you'll have to connect it via HDMI. Otherwise, it may depend on whether you want to watch upscaled output from the DVD recorder (and whether that is only carried over HDMI or not).
    I would connect the HDTV box via HDMI as the only true Hi-Def content will be coming from that.

Good question. HDMI can produce better pictures than component, but in some instances, people have reported that they prefer the component output.
    Conversely, if the recorder upscales output, then it may only do this over a digital connection.

In any case, you always have the option of buying an HDMI switch (or switching A/V amplifier) that allows you to connect them both to the single HDMI(/DVI) port on your Sharp.

HTH,
    pingu

5. cooperda

cooperda

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +119
    Snipped good info - but about these new HDMI switch boxes - The trouble is they seem very dear - over 150 UKPs!!!

The sooner we move to two HDMI connections on each piece of equipment the better. Remember messing with TV's and Videos etc. each with only one Scart.

Cheers, Dave C.

6. InsideInfo

InsideInfo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :thumbsup:
    Thanks pingu, most helpful.

I have a Yamaha A/V amp which has two component in and one out for switching purposes and which is described as being HD ready, although I'm not sure exactly what this means when there is no actual DVI or HDMI connection. I imagine it has upscaling ability but if so would presumably not carry any HDCP protected programming?

It appears as you advise, that I am going to have to reserve the HDMI (DVI)TV input for the HD broadcasts so the answer to my DVD recorder question is that I don't need HDMI in the long term, unless I fork out for an expensive (and fiddly) switching box, and as Dave C. (coopera) reminds us, remember all that fiddling around with inadequately socketed TV's?

Can anyone advise on a DVD recorder which comes close to my requirements and has high quality component output?

Thanks.

Paul