experts, help me choose a 32" tv.

P0888

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hello Forum
The last time I bought a tv was when nicam first came out! I am not up to date with the jargon and what to look for in buying a tv. Had a look online to get a rough price I can expect to pay. What would be your first choice from the list? or are there better tv's around the same price, give or take a little? all are 32 inch priced between £190 to £250. I just something that has a good reputation and a good quality picture and that I can use with a firestick

Hitachi 32HEV220U
Samsung UE32T5300
Samsung UE32T4307
Philips 32PFS6905
LG 32LQ630B6LA

Thank you

I'd probably go for the LG myself.

I've had a LG 32LK6100 for 3-4 years, runs well and has gained more apps etc in that time, I feel that LG continue to support their TVs for some time.

I've also had a Samsung 32" (don't have the model details to hand) dating from about 2013/14 and while it still works fine as a TV, it went the other way with features dropped and fewer apps supported within just a couple of years.

Of course if you're planning to use a firestick then the supported apps are less important - both would be fine choices I'm sure.

I spent a while looking at 28" and 32" LCDs recently. I think the LG is the newest model on your list, albeit essentially a rehashed version of a set from a few years ago. Both Samsung models are at least a couple of years old now and don't come with Freeview Play - there were also reports of ad-infested UIs and oversaturated/unnatural picture modes, although it should be possible to tweak the defaults. The Philips didn't make my short-list but I can't remember why. You should definitely cross the Hitachi off the list.

Based on the research I did, I'd go for the LG. I ended up buying a 28" LG LCD/monitor hybrid for the bedroom - the picture quality is great, it has decent viewing angles and it's basically fine for watching 'normal' TV and YouTube on but, just as with any other TVs of that size (including the models on your list), it's not going to win any awards when it comes to serious movie watching because the downside of the IPS panels used on these smaller LCD TVs is usually poor contrast, so black levels aren't the best. What room is it for ?

Last edited:
Sorry for not replying sooner. Thank you both for your time to reply. The tv is only for a small bedroom. I will go for the LG.

Sorry for not replying sooner. Thank you both for your time to reply. The tv is only for a small bedroom. I will go for the LG.
My only (small) complaint with the 28" LG monitor/TV hybrid is the slightly sluggish UI (not uncommon in small, cheap TVs) and the occasional app crash. This only happened with LG's Netflix app when I was testing the TV but isn't an issue for me as I don't watch Netflix in the bedroom. The TV also only gets occasional use. If the LQ behaves in the same way and you have a Fire TV Stick though, then this will obviously get around any UI/app issues.

Note that LG do both 720p (LQ630B) and 1080p (LQ6300) versions of that TV. My 28" LG LCD is 720p as that was the only option at that size, but you really can't tell at my viewing distance which is around 6ft. Given the choice, I'd probably go for the 1080p model but if you watch a lot of SD, then the 720p may be more suitable.

The LQ630B is currently £199 with a 5 year warranty from John Lewis but you can get the 1080p LQ6300 from from Richer Sounds with a 6 year warranty (including a £20 VIP discount) for the same price. Joining their VIP club is free.

I'm actually tempted to buy the LQ6300 for the bedroom at that price and relocate my 28" to the kitchen to replace an older LG LCD. I just need to see if there's room on my set of drawers for the larger footprint, as the TV is at an angle.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom