Expert requested, JBL speakers L Studio?

F

fred_jordan

I would like to know what you think about the JBL L890 Studio series and how they could match with a Denon PMA-1500AE integrated amplifier...
I listened to them and I found them impressive, but maybe other choices (for similar budget...) would be even better?

Thanks by advance!

l890.jpg

Here are the specs:
General
Maximum Recommended Amplifier Power 250W
Power Handling (Continuous/Peak) 125W/500W
Nominal Impedance 8 Ohms
Sensitivity (2.83V/1m) 91dB
Frequency Response (±3dB) 28Hz – 40kHz
Crossover Frequencies 700Hz, 5kHz, 20kHz
Ultrahigh-Frequency Driver 3/4" (19mm) Mylar®-dome, cast-aluminum chassis, mounted in a Bi-Radial® horn
High-Frequency Transducer 1" (25mm) Pure-titanium-dome in JBL EOS™ waveguide, cast-aluminum chassis
Midrange Transducer 4" (100mm) PolyPlas™ cone with rubber surround, cast-aluminum chassis, HeatScape™ motor structure
Low-Frequency Transducers Dual 8" (200mm) PolyPlas™ cones with rubber surrounds, cast-aluminum chassis, HeatScape™ motor structures, Symmetrical Field Geometry™ (SFG™), oversized Kapton® voice coils, magnetic shorting rings
Magnetically Shielded Yes
Baffle Low-diffraction, IsoPower™ baffle
Port FreeFlow™, on front
Network Straight-Line Signal Path™ (SSP™)
Terminals Gold-plated, 5-way binding posts, bi-wirable
Dimensions (H x W x D) 42-1/4" x 10-1/4" x 15" (1073mm x 259mm x 380mm)(including feet)
Weight per Speaker 60 lb (27.3kg)
General Cast-aluminum feet; 5/16" (8mm) floor spikes, single-packed

And the link on the product doc:
http://www.jbl.com/home/products/product_detail.aspx?prod=L890/230&Language=ENG&Country=GB&Region=EUROPE&cat=SLS&ser=SLS

mhuk05

I'm not the expert but welcome to the forum :)

How much do they cost? Budget?

Music only? Films? UK?

F

fred_jordan

Thanks for the answer!
Well they are around 600 euros each which is the top of my budget;)
This is to listen to music (stereo). I am from Switzerland :D

mhuk05

My only experience with JBL are Control 5s (and they were great with my old Sony amp and turntable). JBL don't seem to be too highly thought of in refined hifi circles this side of the pond(this may have changed?).

Anyway, brands popular in UK for that price band: Monitor Audio, Mordaunt Short, B&W,Kef, TDL, Mission etc - look through the speaker section.

Sorry I can't be of more help. Go to lots of hifi shops and listen to everything from 300 -1200 euros and you should get a feel (take along your own CDs).

Good Luck :)

F

fred_jordan

Ok, thanks for the advise. I went actually to some shops and did the listening work:D I heard others (Jamo, BW, Cabasse) but found the L890 really impressive. They claim 28Hz at +/-3dB... is that possible?

Fred.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom