Expert audio advice required - best sound wanted!

thecritter99

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I really need some help here! Basically, I have a Sony NW-A818 MP3 player which I adore. The sound quality is the best I have heard (very strong and rich bass with clear treble) and it truly transforms my music. However, it's only 8GB and I want to combine it with a phone.

I have a HTC Desire HD (with SRS - again this is a major transformation of sound, but still not as good as the Sony)
I had an iPod Touch...but got rid of it due to the flat and unimpressive sound.

The headphones I have are Sony XB500s. I listen to a lot of dnb and other electronic dance music so bass is essential. Are the any phones (or mods I can make) to get a device sounding like my Sony? Everything else is a disappointment!

Thanks!

The "Sony sound" phrase was borne out of Sony creating a warm bass bias sound. If you want to replicate it in other devices may I suggest eq and perhaps pairing with headphones with such qualities

Excellent! Someone who knows what I mean! Do you reckon a headphone amp would achieve what I want? I've heard the Fiio E7 is worth a look. I need something portable...

No. It will make things louder but that is it. Initially just download an EQ app for Android and play around with the settings. The only thing it will cost you is time. Personal I would try nudging up the mid-bass and also midrange a bit at a time to replicate the Sony sound

Thanks for your help. I have downloaded an android app called equalizer which seems to be the best on the play store. Have matched the eq up with the one on my Sony visually, and tweaked it a bit. Still convinced that the sony is giving me a warmer and richer bass, whereas the bass through the app seems a bit artificial and treble sounds a bit metallic. However, big improvement on what I had originally. Is there anything I am missing or anything extra I can do? Many thanks again

Without looking up the components on Google, suspect the A818 has a better Dac, which Sony has combined with their software to deliver their unique sound signature. What headphones are you currently using? You could look into getting headphones with a warm bassy signature but you are unlikely to truly replicate the same sound

I haven't heard anything that sounds as good as my little Sony X-series. The warm, airy, spacious Sony sound seems to be unimatable. It has a very good internal S-master amp and with the mids EQ'd forward slightly when paired with my UETF10's... wow! the combination is just unbeatable!

I've listened to a quite a few phones in the hope that Id also find something that could function well as both but nope... I guess some are perfectly listenable to but sound pretty mediocre in comparison. I suspect we may see some phones coming out in the future that are targetted more at the audiophile market but cramming so much additional electronics into a small phone is unlikely to produce something that sounds as good as a dedicated DAP.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom