• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Expert Assistance Needed In my choice of LCD

coolsimont

I'm currently looking at buying a new LCD.

I'm no expert as far as displays go, but from my PC gaming experiences i understand some aspects of screen technology.

Budget
£500-£700 (Maybe a bit more if it's really a big leap in quality).

Usage
PS3 Games and Blue-Ray DVD
PC Usage from time to time
Playing movie clips from USB
Freeview (SD for a while, but upgraded in future)

I guess the quality of the picture is the most important thing to me (Movies mainly , some TV and Sports when I switch to HD Sky etc), but also connectivity and being "relatively" good for games.

I want to get a screen of minimum size 37" and a maximum of about 42".

Considerations

I've got my heart set on full hd , is it the right way to go in my budget ?

Is 100hz really that much of a plus point ?

Should i for Plasma or LCD ?

My Candidates

I've been scouring the internet for reviews etc and shops for models.

So far I've found a few options.

1.Samsung LE40B651 40in LCD TV Review £751
(Also in a 37 version which is 50 pound cheaper )

I think this screen meets all the criteria i need , the review is good and i love the USB ports, the styling (same as my t220 monitor) but it's on the upper limits of my budget.

Do you guys think a 37 is just as good (or even better) .

Also from my experience with samsung pc monitors they have some panel lottery (where they are sourced) , i wondered if this is the same with TVs.

2.LG 42LH3000 42" 1080p LCD TV (699.99 in store, also 37 version same price)

http://www.hdtvorg.co.uk/reviews/plasma/panasonic_tx-p42x10.htm

I saw this screen in store and it looked great, but some of the sets were badly setup, so i don't know how comparable it was.

Seems to be a lack of reviews online

3.Sony Bravia KDL-40W4000 £680

Looks like a good screen from reviews and it's Sony ;) , price on that site seems good. Is the site trustworthy?

Conclusion

So i leave it up to you guys to appraise my choices and offer up any other suggestions. (Plasma or LCD).

Thanks for your time, i know it's best to go and look around for TVs and stuff, but it's awkward so i'd prefer some help from you guys.

Are there sites around with buyer guides that are updated frequently (best in price range etc) ?

I hope i didnt ask too many questions !

Thanks

Simon

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom