Expert advice required for a relative novice.

Lurpaklegend

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I am in the market for an upgrade to my current sound system.
Current set in a standard size living room as follows
Sony A8 55" TV
Sony STRDN1080 receiver
Wharfdale DX2 speakers.

I have the tv pretty much central in the room up against a wall with bias lighting. Subwoofer next to the tv with a speaker sitting on top, another speaker the other side of the tv on a stand...the other 2 speakers further apart in the corner the room. I'm not able to have speakers behind or, as research recommends, in ceiling corners ( I understand this this best position for Atmos).

I bought this set up with very little knowledge if I'm completely honest. I had/have no idea what speaker set up would benefit me most and am open to expert suggestions on what I should buy next. I bought the sound system Nov 2018 so I won't be surprised if I received comments saying I don't need to purchase anything. I wanted to treat myself to some new gear!

I'm looking at the Denon AVR-X2700H but this isn't set in stone but the speakers I'm unsure about as I've not researched much due to lack of knowledge.

My budget is £1000-£1200 depending on how much I could sell my old equipment for. This is something else I'd like advice on...realistic return from sale of old gear. I also have an LG OLEDB7V with bad screen burn which should add some value.

I've had a soundbar before but it was returned to its box faster than I removed it. Granted it wasn't an expensive bar but still put me off buying one again. That being said, I am asking for expert suggestions so would be willing to hear whether I'd be better suited to a soundbar.

Any thoughts welcomed.

Thank you.

Last edited:
A couple of photos or drawing of your current set up would be good, helps with advice seeing as the AV gear you have is OK, what do you hope to achieve?.

For selling old electronics, you simply have to view either on AVForums classifieds or even on the likes of eBay or Facebooks Market place to give you some ideas of your electronics worth

With the newer toys, where do you feel you need to better the system. Is it lacking bass, clarity or focus? This will help everyone target your system where it needs work and which parts you can upgraded and which parts can be kept enabling you to get the best out of your budget

As @razy60 has mentioned, some photos, room diagram with dimensions would also be beneficial

A couple of photos or drawing of your current set up would be good, helps with advice seeing as the AV gear you have is OK, what do you hope to achieve?.
My hope is that for around £1000 I can say I've had a reasonable upgrade. In all honesty I feel like treating myself which I know sounds ridiculous but buying new technology brings me plenty of joy.

For selling old electronics, you simply have to view either on AVForums classifieds or even on the likes of eBay or Facebooks Market place to give you some ideas of your electronics worth

With the newer toys, where do you feel you need to better the system. Is it lacking bass, clarity or focus? This will help everyone target your system where it needs work and which parts you can upgraded and which parts can be kept enabling you to get the best out of your budget

As @razy60 has mentioned, some photos, room diagram with dimensions would also be beneficial
I will definitely check out your suggestions for selling.

I don't feel as so my current sound quality is lacking in any particular area. As mentioned in my reply to Razy60 I feel like buying myself something new. I won't go in to my personal circumstances... I'll just say I need a little excitement. Call it a midlife crisis I guess! 🤣🤣. A new sound system will bring some much needed distraction.

Last edited:
If you’d just like a straight upgrade then I’d consider keeping your amp – it’s a perfectly decent one – and as you were already pretty happy with the overall sound maybe look at the Wharfedale Diamond or Evo series for LCR – both well received ranges. You could keep a couple of the other speakers for surround duties and try to sell the rest?

I will definitely check out your suggestions for selling.

I don't feel as so my current sound quality is lacking in any particular area. As mentioned in my reply to Razy60 I feel like buying myself something new. I won't go in to my personal circumstances... I'll just say I need a little excitement. Call it a midlife crisis I guess! 🤣🤣. A new sound system will bring some much needed distraction.
There is nothing like toys of these to give a little retail therapy

I have to agree, if you are happy with the Sony as an amplifier, then keep it and look at replacing the main parts across the front end

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom