expert advice neeeded on system :)

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by dragoncdcom, Jul 5, 2002.

1. dragoncdcom

dragoncdcom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all, I'm a beginner and need some advice.. Below is a list of what i plan to get, with respective prices. I am most concerned music performance; movies are secondary.

Denon 3802 $720
    Gallo Due' $800
    Paradigm Studio 20 $550
    Paradigm Studio CC $400
    Velodyne HGS-12 Series 2 $1400

Music input will be from 24bit 96kHz optical source (via my computer's audigy sound card)

I chose the Denon for the 5/7channel stereo, which I understand is the only brand that has this feature

I don't have much room, so the Studio/20 is as big as I can go for fronts; they will be sitting on a bookshelf.

My couch is along the back wall so I chose the expensive Due' because of of 180 degree tweeter and they are wall mountable. I do not prefer bipolar surrounds.

I heard Velodyne is the best for detail, is there anything better for music in that price range?

Any feedback is appreciated, thanks :)

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    The Denon 3802 is one of the market leaders in home cinema amps but it isn't particularly musical and if music is your priority I would look at a Marantz or Sony ES555 instead.

Unfortunately the Paradigm Studio series isn't sold in UK so we can't comment.

Velodyne HGS is a highly rated series but have a look at REL ST series as well.

If they are US dollar prices that you are quoting the prices are much better over there as we pay £720 for the Denon and your quote is the equivalent of £450.

Lucky fellow.

3. MikeK

MikeK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Music input will be from 24bit 96kHz optical source (via my computer's audigy sound card)

If the original source is a CD (ie 16bit 44.1kHz) or (God forbid) an MP3 file, then it was never recorded in 24bit 96kHz in the first place. Upsampling to 24/96 won't improve it, and it certainly won't give you true 24/96 quality (and I'm not even sure the Audigy can do this anyway).
    I'd make sure you understand exactly what capabilities the Audigy will give you before buying any further kit.
    AFAIK, the Audigy is not a true 24/96 card - it can't record in 24/96. It can pass a 24/96 stream out to another device (such as an AV receiver) but I think the source has to be 24/96 in the first place.

I chose the Denon for the 5/7channel stereo, which I understand is the only brand that has this feature

Most amps which feature either ProLogic2 or Neo6 etc can do pseudo 5.1 or 6.1 multichannel music. Some also have proprietary ways of doing similar things - the 5/7 channel stereo is an example.
    Have a listen first, and make sure you like the effect.
    Many people don't - I know of few in the UK who like it - most people on this side of the pond treat these "features" as little more than gimmicks - they certainly aren't a replacement for a proper stereo hifi (at least IMO), and a stereo recording fed into DSP processor like this will never be as good as true multichannel audio (DVDA, SACD or even DTS CDs (the latter should be decodable by any DTS equipped AV receiver)).

As for speakers, go get a demo - it's really the only way.
    If music is a priority, then you have to understand that if selecting what we in the UK refer to as "lifestyle" products, then you have to accept the sonic compromises their design brings - their design priority is looks and size first, sound quality second (and in some cases, if at all).
    That's not to say that you can't get decent performance from small speakers - you certainly can - but in every case I've heard, you could get better performance for less money with a more conventional speaker.
    However, if mulitichannel music is your goal, then you should really be considering the same or very similar speakers all round.

Can't comment on the Paradigm Studio speakers for the reason given above.

4. dragoncdcom

dragoncdcom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't prefer PL2/Neo 6 either, which is why I value multi-channel stereo so highly. I think it sounds like it should; i.e. stereo, but more.. with a wider sweet spot

Looking into Marantz, I was very happy to discover that the 8200 also supports multi-channel stereo, and has a cool remote too, thanks for the advice. I guess I won't keep to my 4k budget after all :)