1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

*Expert advice needed for home cinema setup*

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Digitised, May 23, 2005.

1. Digitised

Oct 11, 2004
    Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Hi all,
    havent posted for ages but im back with a new dilema..

(from the top)

I have an phillips 32pf9986 LCD tv (which has ONLY a DVI input for HD signals), and im planning ahead for the HD era.
    Im currently looking to upgrade my home cinema amp, and ive noticed that many of them act as bridges to the tv.

DVD player ---> Amp ----> tv

I realise this syncs the sound exactly with the image, but ive heard it 'can' degrade picture quality.
    Also ive seen some amps recently that have Component (inputs/outputs) and HDMI (inputs/outpts).
    So if i can plug my dvd player in through component, and out through HDMI like this -

DVD ----(component)---> AMP----(HDMI->DVI converter)---> TV (DVI input)

Will it work?
    And if it does will i lose picture quality?
    If so..which stage does the quality die, is it in the Amp or is it converting from HDMI into DVI with the little adapter?

Also can anyone recommend an amp for under £350 that will do the job best?

OR if this wont work (cos some1's tried it) can you recommend a solution, other than selling my lovely (handicapped) TV?

On a side note, since the UK is going HDMI soon (games consoles, dvd players, sky boxes) Im getting the idea that its worth getting an amp with HDMI (input+outputs) since it will make things easier for me and my TV.