1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Experiences using a Humax PVR 9200t

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by merlynn, Oct 20, 2005.

Tags:
  1. merlynn

merlynn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just purchased one from Comet Thought i would start a new thread so we could all log our experiences and comments using the Humax PVR 9200t and help each other with any user queries
    so far I have noticed
    That 8gb of the hard drive is already reserved for what i am not sure

There appears to be no de-frag function just a format option.

The picture seems good if not great probably due to the compression used 2/3gb per hr their figures.

The unit does not appear to show on its front panel any indication that it is making a timed recording when it has been left in standby mode prior to the recording.

I will post back as i gain more experience with it meantime perhaps others can add to this thread with there experiences good or bad .

2. ajm295

ajm295
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Do you mean the live feed or recordings? My biggest concern about this box was that with all the talk about features, would the actual picture quality be any good (especially on a 42" plasma screen). My current Thomson freeview box produces very poor quality video, but a Sony I borrowed for a night was miles better, which demonstrated how much difference there can be between encoders.

3. longleyc

longleyc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The other Humax receivers had very good PQ. I dont think it compresses the mpg signal in anyway plus the tuners are designed to be more receptive thus better PQ on 9200T.

I`m waiting for all you beta testers to see how good this new box is. So I will buy mine at xmas, after you post your reviews.

4. tinted

tinted

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just bought this box, certainly off to a good start but there is one problem, it seems you are limitted to 5gb of space for music and photos even though the recorder itself has 160gb. Not good if you want to use it as an audio jukebox as I do. Also anything recorded lasting less than a minute won't be saved. Anyone have any suggestions regarding these issues? particularly the first!

5. Kryters74

Kryters74

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Can you plug in a top up tv card directly in to the box, or do you need a cam?

Cheers

Nick

6. merlynn

merlynn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There is a slot behind a cover on the front ( Conditional Access Interface slot )

The broadcast picture is quite good definitely better than my Panasonic tuct30 but the recordings just seem a tad soft but then i am using the composite output so it will probably be a better output in SVHS or RGB

It does use compression for the recording this varies according to content.

7. multiply

multiply

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Not at all happy about that!! I was looking to transfer around 40gb of MP3s to use as a 'jukebox'. 5gb is all but useless to me.

Very disappointing - I wonder why they made this restriction? :confused:

8. kdp99

kdp99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Can you be so kind as to confirm the height of the unit, the manual says 78mm the spec sheet 70mm ?

Many thanks

Keith

9. hpoom

hpoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Yep that now means I won't buy it. I too was going to buy this to fill half of it with MP3's and use ther other half for PVR recordings. Humax to fix this otherwise they will loose more sales from people like me!!!

10. tinted

tinted

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The heigh of the unit is 78mm including the feet, it is 70mm without. Regards the common interface, you will need a cam for Top up TV, it then slots directly into the front behind the facia panel.

I have emailed humax regarding a possible fix to the mp3 storage problem, perhaps either by software or by repartioning the hard drive. It's a real shame they have done this because it's such a great selling point of the unit but as anyone with a collection will know 5gb is useless and I seriouslty doubt I will be keeping mine if it remains like this.

11. hpoom

hpoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    tinted, glad you emailed Humax, I would love to know there answer as it is now the single point holding me back from buying one of these. (or adding to my xmas list)

12. gdean

gdean

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does the 9200t record with subtitles?

Graham

13. kdp99

kdp99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20

Many thanks for measuring it, I am a bit tight for space, in some cases the feet are easily removed, (just held in with a screw), is this the case here ?

Thanks
    Keith

14. CDGhunter

CDGhunter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Could this unit record from it's SCART socket e.g. SCART cable from my SKY TV digibox to this ?

Can you transfer the data from the Humax to the PC (to burn to DVD) ?

Cheers ;)

15. tinted

tinted

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes! It does

and to answer the other questions, the feet can't be removed as they are physcially molded into the main unit, and yes you can transfer data from the humax to the pc, I havn't tried burning it to DVD but can play it back so can't see why this would be a problem. Finally the box doesn't have any inputs so no you won't be able to record from sky etc, shame.

16. kbfern

kbfern
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,151
    I got mine from a local comet this morning,plugged it in and it works just great.I was previously using the Humax 8000 which whilst a good machine was handicapped by the single tuner.

The picture quality is as good as broadcast through RGB scart,sound via optical into my av amp is great.Wonderfull to be able to record 2 channels while watching a third or a previously recorded programme.

Much better remote than the 8000,160gb hard drive should mean we never run out of space.Extremely fast forward/rewind, picture in picture along with MP3 and photo storage this unit rocks.

As long as reliability is as good as the 8000 is its a winner,and only cost £60 more than the 8000.

17. Mr. Wilby

Mr. Wilby
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Are scheduled recordings persisted when the power is turned off and on again? We sometimes get brown-outs in my neck of the woods and one bugbear with the older model is that it loses the scheduled recordings :(

Another question - have they added any kind of "season pass" logic to the TV guide. I.e. the ability to auto-queue a recording for any program that matches certain keywords ("Lost", "Galactica" etc?). I requested this with the old model and they said they'd look into it for their next gen, but I suspect they've not added this.

Finally, do they now support videoplus style recording? Its very annoying when a programme starts early/late and therefore the beginning, end or both are missing.

Thanks

18. Vic_B

Vic_B

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Surely, as with other Freeview PVR's, it just records the broadcast bitstream straight to the HD without compressing it further doesn't it?

Apologies if this is what you were meaning but I just got the impression from your post that the 9200 was compressing the recordings further and not just copying them 'as broadcast' to the HD.

Vic

19. David Robinson

David Robinson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    This has already been fixed for the PVR8000T - it sounds like you need to get the latest software from the Humax site. Unfortunately though it still doesn't reset the real time clock after a power loss, so you still need to manually switch it out of standby, then into standby again. :mad:

20. Mr. Wilby

Mr. Wilby
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Ah good to know, thanks. I've not updated the s/w for quite a while so that sounds possible.

21. dustjunky

dustjunky
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'd like to know this too, as this is an essential feature for me. I am pretty sure the Topfield does this via a TAP so this will help me decide betweek the two.

22. kbfern

kbfern
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,151
  23. merlynn

merlynn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Vic_B
    You may be right about the compression but the book mentions 2/3gb disk space is used per hour depending on the content so i assumed the rate was variable just like my dvd recorder.

24. Vic_B

Vic_B

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The 2/3GB disk space per hour that the maual mentions is down to the various Freeview channels broadcasting at different bitrates. BBC1 has the highest bitrate at around an average of 4.5mbits/sec, so an hour's recording would be roughly 2GB. QVC on the other hand broadcasts at around 2mbits/sec, so an hour's recording would come in at just under 1 gig.

The Humax is copying the broadcast bitstream straight to the HD without any further compression, it's just the varying bitrates used by different channels that give the different recorded file sizes.

Glad you think that the pic quality is a step up from your Panny, and reports from other tech forums seem to be very positive too, so it looks like a trip to the local Comet is in order.

Cheers,
    Vic

25. Stinja

Stinja
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,340
    Gah. I was hoping to passthru a signal so i could picture-in-picture TV while playing console games. Guess not then...

Has anyone mentioned padding yet? I know this was oft asked for, and just missing the start or finish of a recording is what most pisses off the mrs.

26. Tellyfiend

Tellyfiend

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    According to the manual, the box has a (RGB enabled) scart input for pass through, but not recording purposes.

27. merlynn

merlynn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is there anyway to quickly go from one day in the week to another day in the week without having to scroll through every day to get there ?.
    any help would be welcome

28. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
    In the guide press green then you have the option to scroll day by day.

29. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,781
    Rather than scroll I jusst searched for all the programmes I like and set them up that way....a cool feature.

I have found it seems to be impossible to watch a programme once it's started to record. IE It doesn't appear in the library until after recording is finished and if you justs go to watch the channel you can only rewind as far as when you first tuned to the channel. Any ideas folks?

Gordon

30. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,909
    According to what I've read on a certain other forum, that's exactly the size of it. You can rewind the buffer, but that's the only way. If you weren't actually tuned to the channel being recorded, it's not buffered and you can't then watch the recording until it's complete.

Bit of an oversight.......the same was true of the single tuner 8000.

One day, someone will make a near-perfect Freeview PVR.