Experiences on getting plasma screen repairs when Pioneer system seems poor

chomerly

Hi all,

I've been reading this thread,

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1271608

And have been quite concerned over Pioneers attitude and i was wondering whether it is symptomatic across the whole industry.

I have a Panasonic P42S11 Plasma which i purchased from a great seller on this site.

http://www.avforums.com/forums/arch...23365-sale-panasonic-p42s11-1080p-plasma.html

The TV was in excellent condition when purchased and was exactly how it was described in the thread.
The condition of the set is still the same now and has been wall mounted ever since i got it home on the evening that i met up with Matt to collect it.

My concern is that with most manufacturers doing away with plasma TV's and concentrating on LCD and LED based sets, and also the experience of the buyer in the above thread for the Pioneer KP500a, can anyone expect the same treatment from other manufacturers of plasma TV's?

I'm curious to know if anyone else has had similar issues with other makes of plasmas, regardless of value and quality, and whether they've been told something similar.

It defies logic that Pioneer would take a stance, with a very poor attitude, on this issue when they manufacture the very same Blu-ray & DVD players they say not to use with their plasma sets. Especially when it isn't mentioned in the manuals they provide with their sets as commented by other members who have Pioneer brand plasmas.

dbwinter

Hi all,

I've been reading this thread,

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1271608

And have been quite concerned over Pioneers attitude and i was wondering whether it is symptomatic across the whole industry.

I have a Panasonic P42S11 Plasma which i purchased from a great seller on this site.

http://www.avforums.com/forums/arch...23365-sale-panasonic-p42s11-1080p-plasma.html

The TV was in excellent condition when purchased and was exactly how it was described in the thread.
The condition of the set is still the same now and has been wall mounted ever since i got it home on the evening that i met up with Matt to collect it.

My concern is that with most manufacturers doing away with plasma TV's and concentrating on LCD and LED based sets, and also the experience of the buyer in the above thread for the Pioneer KP500a, can anyone expect the same treatment from other manufacturers of plasma TV's?

I'm curious to know if anyone else has had similar issues with other makes of plasmas, regardless of value and quality, and whether they've been told something similar.

It defies logic that Pioneer would take a stance, with a very poor attitude, on this issue when they manufacture the very same Blu-ray & DVD players they say not to use with their plasma sets. Especially when it isn't mentioned in the manuals they provide with their sets as commented by other members who have Pioneer brand plasmas.
In my experience, companies will try and get away with anything they can.

As the OP of the thread mentioned, it saddens me that many companies fail to be provide a minimum standard of customer service.

As a buyer of a great deal of electronics, I find that the large companies are worst with some of the smaller ones providing 'an above the call of duty' exemplary customer service.

Arcam, REL, Musical Fidelity, Mission and Focal have all done themselves proud. Outstanding customer service in every way.

John Lewis, Currys and Game have been truly terrible retailers and choose to ignore the Sales of Goods Act 1979 and the European 2 year directive for new goods. They choose to believe that people will not follow up on these laws but ultimately they all back down eventually.

Pioneer have been the 'worst' company I have come across for customer service by a country mile. They are consistent though as they were terrible before I had even bought anything from them but that's another story.

Reliability wise, the best company has been Marantz - I bought a CD player (CD-63) 19 years ago that is still with the family and has been used extensively.

Ultimately, if you feel that you have a case for a faulty item, put it on a forum thread, speak to others that may have more experience and take it from there. Listen carefully, as some may try to de-rail you but in the end, if its faulty by manufacture, you will win.

One final point, the major manufacturers are amongst us, hiding as normal members.

chomerly

It's tough that they've treated you this way.
And there i was considering buying one of their Kuro sets as my next TV purchase.
I think i'll give it a miss now and go for Panasonic instead as so far, and based on the information i've read since before owning the TV i have now, they seem to be of higher quality and a very popular company.

It may be worth your time perusing various forum sites for your model of TV as you may find that there are others who have the same issue.
It will help establish whether it is a design flaw and therefore inherent with this TV.
You could fight the case on that level besides the letters you have from Pioneer.

And for the Major manufacturers reading this, Sort your customer service out.

The days of taking someone's money and then telling tough are long gone.

dbwinter

The problem is that all the plasma manufacturers are large companies whose marketing strategy is to sell huge numbers of screens with little money spent on customer service as this potentially reduces their profit margin. I say potentially as there is only so many times you can take the spiel that they 'fire out' of their mouths and they lose a customer.

I was in the Apple store the other day and they said that the Sales of Goods Act only applies to white goods - He was very adamant about this. It's not just Pioneer who 'try it on'. I have never met any store on the high street be able to explain the Sales of Goods Act correctly.

It is up to the enthusiasts like the people on this forum to take a stand. Either that or roll over and I would never ever do that and no one on here should do either.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: LCD TVs for Movies, Laser Projectors, RIP Ennio Morricone, AV & Movie news, B+W Matt Damon
Top Bottom