1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Experience with subs popular in Germany?

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by rauer, Oct 8, 2003.

1. rauer

rauer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    As I frequently visit HT forums in the US, UK, Germany and Finland (being a native), I've noticed one thing. The amps, receivers and other electronics discussed are mostly the same in different countries but the speakers and subs vary a great deal. It seems that in that area each country really has an own subculture.

In Finland for example a very popular make is Amphion - being Finnish of course. For the same reason Genelec also gets it's share. Here on avforums are the British makers very visible and again on German forums you mostly read the same brands over and over again.

So this brings me to my question. As I'm planning on upgrading my humble PSW2000 sub, I've now searched the German forums also. The SVS, Velo, BKE and Servo-15 that are the current topic here, are rarely mentioned over there.

Instead, the German speaking world seems to go nuts on subs like

- Acoustic Research Chronos W38
    (German?, street price 750 euro)

- Nubert Nuline AW-1000 (by a German manufacturer that sells directly like SVS or BKE, price around 850 euro)

- Teufel (Devil??) 4000 etc.

Do people here have experience on these? I really wonder how they compare to the UK-favoured subs in the £700 range?

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,905
    We're not ignoring you but most of us won't have any knowledge of the subwoofers that you've mentioned. I have never even heard of Nubert Nuline and Teufel.

3. GJC

GJC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    rauer

Any links for the aforementioned subs would be great.

---

I am always interested in reading about alternative subs etc.

Regards,

GJC

4. avanzato

avanzato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    I looked at the Teufel site a few weeks ago as they do some THX systems. Quickly realised that they aren't geared up to sell anywhere other than Germany and gave up. Nubert I have just found and am looking around at the mo.

5. rauer

rauer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    OK, some links (mostly in German, so you may have to Babelfish them):

The German AreaDVD website/forum chose the AR Chronos W38 as their reference sub http://www.areadvd.de/hardware/archronosw38.shtml

Nubert subs are made and sold by Nubert ( www.nubert.de ).

One fairly large AV forum has a speaker forum here: http://212.105.197.43/vbportal/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=69

A collection of test results can be found here: http://www.testberichte.de/produktindex/produktindex_469.html (No complete tests available here, but some final results)

If you Google the above mentioned sub names, you'll mainly find German links..

6. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,905
    I did and came up with this :-

Sound winner: nuLine AW-550 in the Subwoofertest of the 500-Euro-Klasse in video 8/03 was the AW-550 the only Woofer operated by remote control: "the remote maintenance for volume and upper corner frequency makes the AW-550 particularly comfortable. Owing to its completely clear and extremely clean rendition he shone in addition in heard. It produced amazingly much low bass volume, although the chassis measures only 23 cm." "during the sound winners of Nubert and? until into the lowest oktave grummelten cleanly, the representations of?einen turned out tick less plastic." Result: "the compact candidates of Nubert and? cannot so loud, but but straight small areas with exzellentem sound supply." Video judgement: "outstanding sound-neutrally, for the housing size amazingly full low bass. Outstanding wide-band and even transient characteristic." Best compact Subwoofer in the test.

7. avanzato

avanzato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    Ha! My sub grummelten's even more cleanly. :D

I can't see an easy way of ordering internationally from the Nubert site either. I can see why we aren't talking about them in the UK, they may be great but we can't get them.

8. rauer

rauer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9