1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Experience with ATi component dongle ??

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by probedb, Oct 17, 2004.

1. probedb

probedb
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +181
    Hi all,

Does anyone have any experience with ATI's component dongle ??

I'm gettting a new TV (JVC HV-28D40) which has component inputs with support 1125i (I assume 1080i as well but am checking) which means this would be ideal for connecting my computer up.

I believe Karnis on AVS Forums switched to using the dongle but am wondering how it works exactly ? Do I define modes or does the driver now have modes foe these hi-def resolutions etc ??

Thanks in advance,

Paul.

2. NinjaShredder

NinjaShredder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    1125i is another name for 1080i. It includes the vertical blanking lines. Just as 625i is another name for 576i.

I am also looking at buying this TV, and would be interested on what the PQ of 1080i from PC is like etc.

3. probedb

probedb
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +181
    i thought as much (just re-read JVCs website!). i just ordered the component dongle for my 9800 pro. i basically want to display wmv-hd from the computer, dvd player (pioneer 575) will do for dvd for now.

i best go and order the telly....oh well, that's what a credit card is for ;) still it's less money than i paid for my old panny 28" 4 years ago and has so many more features !

4. boborg

boborg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would like to hear your experience with the Ati dongle and JVC TV.

Got an Ati myself and I'm thinking of buying a JVC HV-32P40

5. probedb

probedb
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +181
    omfg !

just buy the tv, buy the dongle and plug it in !

your post made finally get round to trying it, here's the setup/what i did.

1. had to move lcd from dvi to vga connection to use the dongle (lcd running at 1280x1024)
    2. made sure downloaded and installed latest catalyst drivers with control panel not than fancy newfangled thing they do.
    3. switched off, set dipswitches on the dongle so that 480i, 480p, 1080i and 16:9 are all switched on
    4. plugged dongle in to dvi socket and into tv
    5. switched tv to input 4 (component)
    6. switched on computer and noticed i could see the post info on the tv so good start
    7. when it booted to windows tv went blue (bummer)
    8. once in windows (which had changed the res of the lcd for some reason) i went into display properties and made sure i was extending my desktop to the second screen which switched it on with a default res of 640x480 @ 8 bit.
    9. changed res of tv (2nd screen) to 1920x1080 and my god it worked !!
    10, i then went into the advanced tab again and found the options for the component input and checked 'optimised' under the 1080i which swapped it to a slightly lower res, this almost perfectly fits the tv with very little (10pixels or so) overscan on the left and right

Comments: Text is just about readable but flickery (it is interlaced after all) but you can change the dpi for the second screen so that can be sorted. I also noticed i need to sort the geometry of the tv out now !

Watched WMV-HD with 720p material is absolutely fantastic, much better than DVD even with progressive scan.

All I can say is buy the TV and enjoy !! Gives it some serious futureproofing assuming Sky Digital will be able to do 1080i when it goes hidef !

6. boborg

boborg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sounds good. What's your general experience with the JVC TV does it show fast moving contents like sports alright?

7. probedb

probedb
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +181
    In general quite happy with the TV, I have most of the processing options at auto(low) or off but the DIST 75hz thing stays on all the time.

The picture on it's digital tuner is a bit noisier than my old 50hz widescreen but i guess that's to be expected and to be honest it's prefectly watchable in my eyes and i have to sit only 2m from it ! not watched much sport but never noticed any problems with seeing odd football clips. but as the reviews say it really comes into its own watching hi quality sources like dvd over prog scan :)

hope that helps !

8. boborg

boborg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I got my JVC 32 last week and I got my component adaptor today from svideo.com. Sadly I haven't had any success with component video. I have followed your steps.

I have not been able to see the post info on the tv.

I have also tried with all switches set to off and then there was some flickering on the tv set.

I have a Ati AIW 8500DV which only has 1 DVI output so it's a bit difficult to set it up without the possibility of checking anything when there's nothing displayed on the TV set. I think I might go for an MSI Nvidia 6600 GT after christmas.

9. Gazebo2

Gazebo2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Boborg,

I'm sorry to hear you've had no success with the dongle - I'm afraid that I cant help because mine worked first time following ATI's instructions.

However don't worry about the post information - I don't really understand how pinkprobegt got this - output from the dongle should only kick in after the ATI driver is loaded, so you shouldn't see BIOS output or the Windows splash screen.

10. probedb

probedb
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +181
    Are you definitely sure you got the right dongle as I know there are 2.

Basically make sure the switches are flicked on the dongle for 480p and 1080i and widescreen, then I just extended my desktop onto the dongle in ATIs control panel and set the res to 1920x1080, but clicked optimize and it goes down to something like 1770x1000 which gives almost zero over/underscan :) As Gazebo2 said, I just followed the instructions and it worked fine :/

11. boborg

boborg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've switch to a Nvidia MSI 6600GT with HDTV/Vivo cable and it runs now right from post information and into Windows... 480i, 576i, and 1080i runs fine.

Don't know why it didn't work with the 8500 AIW DV. It was supposed to be the right adapter. Anyway with only one output on that card I would have had to do a lot of switching to and from tv so I should just have gone for the Nvidia 6600GT in the first place...

But thanks for responding.

12. CodeThief

CodeThief

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I'm using the dongle from www.svideo.com with my Tosh 32zp38 and I get no picture until the ATI driver is loaded in windows ... odd :)

Dave

13. Gazebo2

Gazebo2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've adjusted the geometry of the screen in the service menu so its more to my taste. The service menu shows the 1080i input to be factory setting to be 900I - so just 20% of the picture cut off!!

Instructions may be found in the long "Jvc Hv-32p37 D.i.s.t." thread on the tv forum (but take care you only choose the geometry option). I've set the height to 1000i and using the "optimize" function there's zero overscan/underscan now. 1080i and there's significant distortion at picture edges.

14. dukester_uk

dukester_uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Sorry to resurrect this old thread, but pinkprobegt, I have a jvc 32d40 and a radeon 9800 pro just like you, but I get nothing apart from the blue screen when i use the ATI dongle to connect my pc to the JVC. This is the dongle i'm using: http://www.svideo.com/radeon9600pro.html . Which one do you use pinkprobegt?

15. probedb

probedb
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +181
    Hmm, not got the TV anymore but what I did was in the post I did above.

It'll be easiest to configure if you have a monitor in as well. As I said if you extended your desktop as opposed to clone it you can set the resolution of the tv separately. Have you made sure you've been into the Displays tab in the Ati control panel and enabled the TV?

16. dukester_uk

dukester_uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks for replyting, pinkprobegt. Yes, I did extend the desktop, but I think I must have done something else wrong so i'll look over your instructions again. One final thing, was the dongle that I linked to above the same one that you used? :)