1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Experience of PV500/PHD7 v Fujitsu P50XHA40US

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Avi, Jul 1, 2005.

1. Avi

Avi
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,067
    I have the opportunity of purchasing the above Fujitsu Plasma at a special rate via work (c. £3.8k). Ignoring product aesthetics how does PQ compare to Panny PV500 or PHD7?

Would drive either via a Lumagen HDP for ref.

2. Sulis

Sulis
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Though I'm delighted with my PV500, if you can get a 50" Fuji for 3.8k you must go for it immediately. Don't believe you can get a better screen at the moment. A bit curious about the "US" suffix - sounds like a US import, which may have implications (not an expert on Fuji name styles, though).

Also: Maw says the PV500s aren't really suitable for scalers as have no 1:1 native resolution facility. I'm sure a really good scaler would improve the picture a bit, but you wouldn't get the best out of it.

3. howesey

howesey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The US is the USA version, better than the EU one as the HDMI is HDCP compliant.

However, Fujitsu have a second generation of 40 series out soon, the GS models. They have a separate media box with RGB scarts and a tuner.

I have been one of the lucky ones to see their entire new 40 series at CEDIA Expo yesterday.

New prices as well, some info:

P42HTS40GS
    The Fujitsu Plasmavision(tm) P42HTS40 includes a widescreen (16:9), 1024 x 1024 pixel high definition panel featuring Fujitsu's AliS (Alternative Lighting of surfaces) technology. ALiS discharges the electrodes in the plasma panel in a more efficient manner than conventional plasmas, to achieve significantly higher brightness and definition producing extraordinary clarity, sharpness and colour accuracy. It yields an outstanding combination of 1000 cd/m2 brightness and 1000:1 contrast ratio.

The separate media box includes an analogue tuner and multiple inputs including HDMI (HDCP compliant), 2 x Component Video, 3 x RGB Scart, S-Video, Composite Video, DVI-D (PC only), 2 x 15 Pin VGA, RS232, Optical Audio and Stereo Audio.

P50XTS40GS
    The Fujitsu Plasmavision P50XTS40 incorporates a widescreen (16:9), 1366 x 768 pixel high definition panel yielding 600 cd/m2 brightness and an incredible contrast ratio of 3000:1. The separate media box includes an analogue tuner and multiple inputs including HDMI (HDCP compliant), 2 x Component Video, 3 x RGB Scart, S-Video, Composite Video, DVI-D (PC only), 2 x 15 Pin VGA, RS232, Optical Audio and Stereo Audio.

P42VHA40ES
    As Fujitsu's entry level 42" plasma, the P42VHA40 uses the AVM II video processor to bring out the best in its widescreen (16:9), 852 x 480 pixel VGA panel. Yielding an impressive combination of 1000 cd/m2 brightness and 4000:1 contrast ratio, the screen also boasts an excellent suite of inputs including RGB Scart, Composite Video, Component Video, 1x15 pin VGA and 2x Stereo Audio.

Pricing and Availability
    * P42HTS40 is available from September 2005 with an RRP of £3295
    * P50XTS40 is available from September 2005 with an RRP of £4695
    * P42VHA40 is available from July 2005 with an RRP of £1995
    * P42HHA40 has a new RRP of £2995
    * P50XHA40 has a new RRP of £4495"

4. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,779
    I was at CEDIA as well. In fact I was supposed to have set up all their displays for them but they had some stand building issues....as did I....so never quite got there. For me the 50" US with a Lumagen is currently up there at the top of plasma image quality.

Gordon

5. darrens

darrens
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am on the verge of buying the 50XHA40US after much, much research. I can't speak as an owner but if you talk to peole on these forums who've got one they'll tell you that it's superb and the best of the screens you mentioned.

6. dilsher

dilsher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    no contest with PV500......Fuji XHAUS is way way out there and the HD7 cant do 720@50Hz signal anyway...

fantastic price - grab while you can!!!

7. Avi

Avi
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,067
    Guys

Thanks for the feedback. I guess I'm in bizarre situation in as much as I have A PV500 (not yet unboxed) which came about though winning an incentive and the staff purchase offer on the FJ unit.

Gordon

The reply from Sulis mentions:-

Also: Maw says the PV500s aren't really suitable for scalers as have no 1:1 native resolution facility. I'm sure a really good scaler would improve the picture a bit, but you wouldn't get the best out of it.

Do you concur with this ?

Regards

8. Avi

Avi
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,067
    Dilsher

Thanks. No rush on the price point as it's an open ended staff purchase offer across the whole FJ range. I've had a couple of FJ units and the one thing that sticks in my mind is the variable sound generated by the fans. It was very noticable particularly in the evening when the ambient sound levels drop or in extended bright scenes or hot weather. It's a bit like you don't hear the sound of the fan in your office PC in the office but work from home and it sound like a hovercraft !

9. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,464
    dazzerxxx

I sit pretty close to my P50XHA40US and don't find the fan noise an issue - I cant say I've noticed it varying too much either.

Our house is always toasty at the best of times so if it was every going to go into 'hovercraft' mode it would definitely do it in our TV room.

(Note - the default Fan setting is Mode0. If you set it to Mode3 you can invoke Helicopter mode at the touch of a button :) )

The Fujitsu is an excellent Display and adding an external Processor can improve on the internal processing - though its not the easiest bit of kit to configure; it has some weird timings it likes to work too; call in the Professionals if you go with a Processor.

I've put around 700 hours on our demo unit and like most displays its gone through a very definite 'run in' at about 500 hours - I must get Gordon to come over and re measure it to see if its just me getting used to the 'look' of the Display or not!!

Best regards

Joe

10. dilsher

dilsher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    daz

the older Fuyjis were horriblyb noisy with fans! I used to have a first generation one and it had 4 big ugly fans on top..these days the 2 are supercooled quiet techno ones and only kick in if needed and secondly i cant hear anyting even at 4am quiet time...buy with absolute confidence

AVM2 is so good you may not need a scaler but you sure would want one if u could afford one - with any plasma i can tell ya buddy!

11. Jazz Monkey Jr

Jazz Monkey Jr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,523
    I do think you need a scaler with the 50", depending on how close you sit.
    You could see jaggies and motion judder on Gladiator DVD when I demo'd it at Av-Sales, but with the scaler it looked loads better.

12. Pat Marcus

Pat Marcus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Im struggling to see what the new XTS40 offers over the XHA40US - the inputs are the same. Is it widely regarded as an advantage to have a separate media box ? Useful for installations ?
    It is welcome to see a price drop for the 50" US to £4495 as it will bring it within the reach of PV500 buyers. Good for Fujitsu for being prepared to acknowledge market forces, even for a premium product.

13. dilsher

dilsher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Pat

I dont think media boxes add anytng but another layer of rubbish electronics ..so happy I am teh Fuji XHA40 has all inputs and circuits on the panel!- most here say its a crap thing and lessens PQ. The Pio one is soo rubbish and i think ones with media boxes are a calibrators nitemare??

14. dilsher

dilsher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    mal?

wait one minute..you demoed a Fuji (jaggies??..msut have been sourced badly??) and ended up buying a PV500 TV right??

Cant work it out meself mal mate!

15. Jazz Monkey Jr

Jazz Monkey Jr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,523
    Yes, I demo'd a Fuji, I wasn't going to buy it, too expensive for an extra few inches.
    I did go for a demo of the PV500 but it wasn't in.

It was at Av-Sales - I am not sure what DVD player they were using, but he was showing us the difference between scaler and no scaler, and without the scaler you could see jaggies on certain screens, in Gladiator.

16. dilsher

dilsher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK got it ta, mal.. :devil:

17. Jazz Monkey Jr

Jazz Monkey Jr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,523
    It was the single DVD version, he said the double disc version was better quality (less compression)

18. DFL

DFL
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Daz,

Are you interested in selling the PV500 which you have unboxed... what size is it?

DL

19. Avi

Avi
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,067
    Hi Darren

The short answer is no. I won JL vouchers in an inctentive and bought it using these. It was only delivered on Monday and hasn't been out of the box. So it's looking like I'll send it back under the 28 day policy. JL treat the vouchers as cash so would get cash back not vouchers !! :clap:

The other great news is the cost of the Fujitsu P50XHA40US has just dropped and via our staff purchase scheme it's now £3525 (inc vat) including wall mount, delivery and three year warranty. :thumbsup:

20. DFL

DFL
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    No problem, thanks.

21. Avi

Avi
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,067
    Anybody know a retailer in North West England that has this model on demo ?

22. dilsher

dilsher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    dazzer..the Fuji is great enuff at the 5k price point I paid - and I would pay that much no problem if i had to again..so at this insane staff price (lucky you ) you have no room for debate really do you??

23. Avi

Avi
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,067
    Dilsher

I've lived with several Panny units over the past few years and they've been great. If I hadn't stumbled across the offer I would probably be blissfully unpacking the PV500 this weekend. What in your opinion makes the FJ so much better than the PV500 or anything else for that matter?

24. dilsher

dilsher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    for starters it is designed to be at the top of the price ladder..the AVM2 is an astonishing processor/scaler/hihg resolutin enhancer package that is designed to get the optimum level of performance from PDP technology. Limitless tweakbility..totally calibration friendly and top top picture naked or with scaler..look, its Fuji doing what they do best - electronics and Panny doing what it does best galss panels..add em together and you have the best of both worlds. Its the least plasmalike and glossy picture you will see today,and is free of digital artefacting...etc..etc..its got killer contrast and detail to die for ..in short the best plasma I have ever seen and this is from an owner of Panny pwd3 and pwd5!

Much better build and styling (PV500 is dead ugly man)..

Dont matter to me what you buy mate does it? im just telln ya you are a big mug if you dont snap it up at that silly price.

Oh and the PV500 is a TV. PQ is compromised by its tuner and TV freindly aspects.

Oh nearly forgot..the best thing of all? Its an exclusive high end type of product. Everyone has a fookin PV500 - only a select few have this monster. :devil:

ciao

25. Avi

Avi
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,067
    Joe Ferdinand said:

I've put around 700 hours on our demo unit and like most displays its gone through a very definite 'run in' at about 500 hours - I must get Gordon to come over and re measure it to see if its just me getting used to the 'look' of the Display or not!!

Joe

Do you mean that the PQ appears worse now?

26. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,464
    dazzerxxx

It improves - to my eyes anyway!!!

Best regards

Joe

27. dilsher

dilsher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    daz

Joe is right..it gets better and better till upt o 500 hours tehn stys at tip top.

Dil

28. Avi

Avi
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,067
    Dilsher/Joe

Thanks. JL are collecting the PV500 Thursday and I'm planning to order the FJ Monday. Asked Gordon to quote for the Lummy and setup etc. So looks like I'm going back to the FJ club !

I'd also appreciate some advice on SDI as I'm considering upgrading my Denon 3910 to SDI. Would this be a good investment or are the gains marginal?

29. dilsher

dilsher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    We promise you wont be disappointed - and if you are, you really need to get out of plasma technology and look for CRT projectors and stuff Dazz mate as this is really the best available...but they have their issues too.

My Lumagen HDP has SDI input for DVD and the SDI modded Philips 963sa is totally astounding so digital SDI makes a worthwhile difference I would say from viewing. I been told SDI is the boradcast standard link as it takes the cleanest undigitized interlaced signal and feeds that to the Luma without conversion in the DVD oir Sky box, hence cleanest signal and PQ.

If yure in the London central areaa whjy dont you giv me a shout and come look at my set up???

30. carlton

carlton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    PV500 dead ugly dils :confused: Thats like saying kate moss resembles a horses ass.Wouldnt be to bad if u comparing it to a pio but comparing it to the fuji that looks as bland as bland can be takes the :oops: