1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Experience of Acoustic Research Phantom speakers?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by rob@rar.org.uk, Apr 29, 2001.

1. rob@rar.org.uk

rob@rar.org.uk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm thinking about buying the Acoustic Research Phantom speakers (8.3s for fronts and 252s for the centre). Does anybody have any experience of these speakers? I'm looking to wall mount them.

Regards

Rob

2. rob@rar.org.uk

rob@rar.org.uk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks, that's very reassuring. Can I ask where you bought them? I don't think I'll quite have your budget, so I'm looking to find the cheapest possible source! Basically I'm looking for a pair of 8.3s for the main left and right, and a 252C for the centre. I hadn't thought of using another 8.3 for the centre - how does this work.

Do you have a sub in your Phantom setup?

Final question - have you wall mounted them or on stands?

Thanks for your help.

Regards

Rob

3. dealmaker

dealmaker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Rob,

I bought them from my local dealer who price matched against - Hi Fi Bitz - Phantoms - who were the cheapest around at the time - £749 for a pair of 8.3's I seem to recall.(Though they now seem to have gone up to £799!)

The single 8.3 is used as a centre simply by turning it 90 degrees!! Mine are all wall mounted - except the centre which is mounted on a bracket made by my dealer.

My subwoofer is a REL Stadium III - the whole thing integrates well.

[ 30-04-2001: Message edited by: dealmaker ]

[ 30-04-2001: Message edited by: dealmaker ]

4. dealmaker

dealmaker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Rob,

I'm using Phantom's for my 7.1 setup namely :

Front Left & Right - Pair 8.3's
    Centre - single 8.3!
    Surround Sides - Pair 5.2's
    Surround Back - Pair 6.2's

The distributor normally doesnt sell single 8.3's but as I was buying all Phantom's he agreed (he may still have the remaining one from the pair in stock).

I have to say I'm thrilled with the dynamic and punchy sound of the speakers - the 8.3's in particular are phenomenal for their size - add a good sub and you'll have all you need.

The Phantoms have Pace rhythm and timing and image well given wider placement. I like fast speakers and hate slow ponderous bass - an advantage of the Phantom design is their tremendous speed as theyre not carrying too much box volume.

(My two channel set-up is a mega bucks Naim system with Naim NBL speakers @ £7k a pair and these really compare well!!! ...I know is surprised me!!)

5. rob@rar.org.uk

rob@rar.org.uk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks.

I'd also seen that HiFiBitz seemed to be the cheapest for these speakers. I'm considering buying these in the USA when I next visit; hopefully this will bring down the cost a little bit.

With your centre mounted 8.3 I bet your system looks as good as it sounds. Not that I'm envious, of course!

Regards

Rob