Expensive Sony DVD beyond economical repair just over 2 yrs old!

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by irvspeed, Dec 5, 2003.

1. irvspeed

irvspeed
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My very expensive (just about top of the range) Sony DVP-S735 Multiregion DVD player purchased for £420 2yrs & 2months ago is more or less a right off. It failed 2 months after the second yr warranty via Barclaycard ran out. I am rapidly losing faith in Sony products, two friends sony DVD players have failed after approx 2 years and my Sony receiver intermittently loses the centre channel! I wonder how many other problems people are having with 2 year old Sony products, in particular DVD players?

2. togad

togad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    It might be worth your while going to the small claims court on this.

If the judge agrees that 2 years and 2 months is not a "reasonable" time for a DVD player to last, you should be able to get a replacement or damages.

3. Monk888

Monk888

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    I was told by Sevenoaks they had cancelled their account with Sony Uk to to reliability problems.

Have you tried complaining to Sony, see if they will offer you some sort of deal.

4. Mr Cat

Mr Cat
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    really..? - I must admit to not knowing that...however, aren't most judges in their 70's..? and I doubt they'll even know what a dvd player is...:D

5. irvspeed

irvspeed
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Good idea i will try that.

6. Bristol Pete

Bristol Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +309
    My 735 has also died a death too with the dreaded Sony C:13 error rearing its head.

Simply refuses to play most disks and when it does, they skip and hop, hop, hop.

Cap:)

7. steve1056

steve1056

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Just replaced my Sony 725 last week due to it starting to have the C:13 problem. Got a Pioneer 565 from Richer Sounds for £200. When I was at Richer I asked about Sony's as they didn't seem to have any in the shop. They told me they had also stopped selling Sony DVD players due to quality and performance issues!

Have to say that so far, I'm really pleased with the 565. Not much money and really good performance. Got SACD and DVD-A capability too.

8. Zone

Zone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,441
    I'm with togad on this, everyone should make themselves familiar with the basic's of the "sale of goods"act or as its more widely known "Your statutory Rights" and what rights you have under them.

Simply, whatever you buy must do what it is supposed to do, be in good condition, free from faults, safe and must last a reasonable length of time.
    What reasonable is seams to be a bit of a grey area, but a guide is.
    Washing Machine 5 to 10 yrs.
    Tumble Dryer 5 to 10 yrs.
    Dishwasher 5 to 10yrs.
    VCR 6 to 9 yrs.
    Fridge 7 to 10 yrs.
    TV 8 to 10 yrs.

The shop where you bought it still have a responsibility, go back to them :lesson:

9. bonzobanana

bonzobanana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +220
    Theres nothing really wrong with sony's designs or components used. A lot of the same components are used with other players too including the laser pickup and the other branded players are far less troublesome. The reason Sony players give problems is because they don't fully optimise/adjust the laser for reading. Sony own film and television program companies and try to protect their copyright by making their dvd players incompatible with copied media. The trouble is as the dvd players age they start playing up with original dvd media too. Its the same reason why they make their dvd players damn hard to convert to multiregion and were so reluctant to support cdr, cdrw, vcd and svcd. Apart from disc reading problems Sony players are as reliable if not more reliable than most other brands.

I saw a 930 in a sony centre and it looked quite superb in both picture quality and build quality but until Sony start offering free 5 year guarantees I'll never buy one.

10. Captain chaos

Captain chaos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My 335 began to fail within 9 months of purchase, and finally died after 14 months.
    Paid £300 for it.

You would not believe the amount of Sony products we get back in our store, VCRs, CD players, radios and DAV systems.
    I think we now take back more Sony products for repair than any other manufacturer.

11. sunderland

sunderland

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +242
    ive got the 735 had it nearly 3 years now and every now and then i get the c13 code and got to switch of and on again tried my new copy of snowwhite last night and it jumped al over but played perfect when i brought my pioneer 444 down
    p.s its the kids film before you start to slater me over it

12. bonzobanana

bonzobanana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +220
    I don't know about CD players and radios but the Which Reliability survey of last year had sony vcrs about average for reliability and that was the results of 1000s of actual owners experience.

I do know that Samsung makes Sony vcrs and have done for quite a few years. I believe portable audio is farmed out to low cost chinese manufacturers. A lot of sony and aiwa gear used to be made in sony's own factories in china but now I think there moving away from owning factories in china and getting chinese firms to make them for them under contract.

Here's one story about how sony has sold two factories to a chinese firm and the chinese firm will continue making units for Sony under the deal.

http://www.eetimes.com/semi/news/OEG20001019S0030

Another story about how Sony has taken full control of Aiwa now and will be using Aiwa's very price competitive manufacturing facilities to manufacture low cost Sony gear to compete with chinese brands.

http://www.eetimes.com/sys/news/OEG20020306S0041

In summary Sony are moving away from manufacturing themselves where the margin is small and the price is very competitive like so called mature products which have been around a while. This includes vcrs and even dvd players.

13. Costas_V

Costas_V

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I haven't had any problems with my 3-year old DVP-S735D as yet. Do you think this C:13 problem is due to DVD-R playback? Have your players developed this problem after using DVD-Rs or is this a general issue with Sony players?

14. Desperado

Desperado

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    got a Sony DVP 900V it s arround 3 years old had no problems what so ever picture is great and sound too

iam very surprised to hear those negative things about Sony

15. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +279
    I own the Sony 315 one of the first players Sony brought out, it hasn't had a great deal of use but I get the C:13 error with Ants R2, strange as it plays fine on the other two players in my house.
    My Sony kp41ds1 rear pro tv had the blue lamp fail prematurly after 18 months, I managed to get Sony to supply the lamp and I only ended up paying for fitting.

16. Ivor_Biggern

Ivor_Biggern

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +129
    Ive got an all Sony set-up and ive not had any problems at all "Touch Wood".

My Tv is a KV28FX68 and the Dvd player is the DVP-NS705V which ive had multi region`d and they are both superb and the quality is excellent!

You will always get problems with most makes as millions of models are produced of which some will occur problems on a law of averages basis, ive always stuck with Sony and always will do becuase ive not had any problems! :smashin:

17. irvspeed

irvspeed
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In answer to Costas _V, yes I was playing a copied DVD when it came up with C-13. It had nver been any trouble prior to that. My local engineer has tried a known working laser (same part number but that hasn't rectified the fault. He thinks its the board under the laser or the mother board Hence the probable "write off" scenario!

18. Bassbin

Bassbin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    I've also had a C-13 on my SH 725 but all the other Sony stuff I've had is fine. Shame Richer's aren't doing much of their range at the moment as their 3 and 5 year waranties are perfect for protecting against these sorts of problems.

19. bonzobanana

bonzobanana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +220
    Why don't we see if we can diagnose/repair one of these players? If someones got one they are going to chuck out anyway then why not open it up and see if you can find a small pot adjustment on or near the laser and tweak it a mere fraction of a turn to the right (clockwise) and see if that improves reading. Something like 5-10 degrees should do it. It may not work or there may not be a pot but what have you got to lose looking apart from a few minutes of your time?

20. paulr

paulr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +65
    My dvp900v is still working okay but get the C1300 thing on copies.Its not the dvd player though but either the media or the copy programs.

21. andrewjh009

andrewjh009

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    To be fair to sony i have had no problems whatsoever with any of their products my 525 owned since jan 2000 only had the C13 error once and that was only because the terminator dvd i was playing had developed a fault and needed to be replaced by the manufacturer, the 525 is still going along great with my new month old 930.

22. kumamoto

kumamoto
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    I have had my sony dvp s7700 for the last 3 years and had no problems, infact i have accumulated over 2500 hours watching dvd and still no glitches. I don't neccesary believe that sony dvd players are inferior in any way whatsoever, if anything they are of much higher quality. You were just unlucky.

23. Blackspeech

Blackspeech
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hello,

Just for information the Sony PS2 has many problems with what is known as DRE (Disc Read Error). Never had it myself though it has been on BBC's 'Watchdog'.

This may not be related at all, but one thing is for certain the DOA rates on these products probably appear somewhere on the net and if Sevenoaks and Richer are no longer stocking what has always been considered to be a premium brand there is something wrong somewhere.

Links if u want more here's a link but there is a lot out there on this.

http://www.geocities.com/djyayo/faq3.html

24. Grimley

Grimley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +157
    I had the same setup for just under a year, the player is still going strong but the 930 went wrong twice so I sold it & got the 940 which I still have.

After reading a few threads here & elsewhere I now have doubts about the build quality & reliablity of recent Sony products so my next lot of upgrades will not be Sony....