1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Expensive projector screens? Ptah!

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by eXistenZ, Feb 20, 2003.

1. eXistenZ

eXistenZ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Who needs these expensive tab tensioned projection screens or
    even a large manual screen?

I've just installed a large 8x5 feet hardboard screen made from
    6mm MDF and coated with white melamine veneer.

With my HS10 it's nothing short of stunning, and all for the small cost of £44.

I had a free 70" screen from Nexnix, so I know the quality comparing to a normal cinema screen. But what's the point of buying a 106" Cinema screen for well over £300 for a manual screen when a piece of wood like this is more than adequate?

Methinks the screen manufacturers are trying to con us...

2. Comer

Comer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +82
    Some people (myself included) must have a pull-down screen as we do not have a wall in our rooms that is suitable for a permanent screen. If I had such a wall I would do as u have done. Also I bought a cheap screen for my first projector. It had no black borders and developed ripples almost from day one. I had to do alot of messing with the thing to get rid of them.

I just bought a second-hand quality screen for €330 from the classifieds here and I really think (compared to my last setup) it was worth it. However I could not justify forking out a £1000+ for a screen with a projector that cost less than £2000

Conor

3. ngip

ngip

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Marcus

What was the 70 inch "free" screen like? Did it have black borders? Was it 16 x 9 or 4 x 3? Is it manual?

Given that you have gone the DIY route do I take it it wasnt suitable for you and you fancied something a bit larger..oo er missus.

Like Conor I too have to have something that disappears when H.I.D. wants the room.

ngip

4. BigTone

BigTone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +953
    It depends on what else you do in the room, if its a fixed screen for a dedicated room then its fine, but in my room I have to have the screen come down over a large (6x4 foot window). The best bit is that the pelmet for the curtains hides the screen, so when its not in use it just looks like a regular room (except no TV !!!)

Tone

5. eXistenZ

eXistenZ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ngip,

It had black borders, and was a manual freestanding 70" screen on a roller - it hooked up to a pole that was set into the base.

And yep, the 70" screen although was ok, it just didn't have that "WOW" factor that the 8 feet screen has :cool: :eek:

6. Cornelius

Cornelius

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've also taken the DIY route using blackout lmaterial in the past but have since built a 12 ft screen in 2:35 format using screen material from http://www.harknesshall.com/index.htm

In may cost a bit (£180) but the image certainly now has more punch than blackout material alone. There's also a lack of 'grain' since the material has a v.smooth surface compared to its curtain cousin.I had the benifit of comparing them side-by-side using Goldmember.

Don't get me wrong - blackout lining is excellent value for money, but for those wishing to upgrade I'd srongly suggest getting some dedicated material samples.

The screen's still attached to a wooden frame tho'. (thought about Aluminium but was quoted £1K for the frame!!!)

CKA.

7. docsmith2k1

docsmith2k1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Screens are like any other bit of gear. You get what you pay for!!. If you can afford a better piece of kit, and can justify the extra expense with extra performance, then you should get a dedicated screen. If your happy with a bit of MDF painted white thats great - but its performance will not be better than a dedicated screen, designed to control hotspots, with uniform performance, microperfed to allow centre speaker placement behind the screen, or retractable into a ceiling space.

8. spicy_fajita

spicy_fajita

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi existenz,

Getting a PTA100 as my first projector and checking info about screens. That paint you used, how did you apply it and did it leave a perfectly smooth finish. Also where did you buy it from.

Total newbie...

9. John_N

John_N

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm sure you are happy with the picture on the bit of wood - I was happy with a white painted wall - for a while.

However, the acid test is:

If you bring up something like a 50IRE grey field on AVIA and look at the screen, you should see a uniform grey screen with no change in brightness over the area.

What you WILL see with your board is that the grey will be lighter in the middle than at the edges. This is called "hot spotting" and is very very hard to overcome. You certainly aren't going to have an optical quality coating on a bit of board. If the board has a "sheen" on it, it will make the effect a LOT worse.

This effect is harder to see in normal viewing but the grey fields on AVIA show it up amazingly.

Just remember the free screen isn't brilliant quality either. This is why it's free..... I think the RRP from sony was £120 or something.

No such thing as a free lunch - and you do get what you pay for.

You wouldn't buy a £50,000 car and run it on remoulded tyres would you? Crumbs - lots of people run a £2500 car on tyres that cost more than £44 each I imagine... Running a £2500 projector on a screen for £44 is a bit of a false economy... The screen is what you're looking at, at the end of the day. You should be spending a bit more than that.....

I do agree that some of the more expensive screens like Stewart are maybe a bit steep. I couldn't see the difference between a stewart screen and an owl screen for example. But there is a difference between a proper screen and any old bit of wood or blackout material etc etc.

10. dis

dis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +200
    John n

Hi john i bought electric screen and would like to remote control it, as you know the remotes are very expensive, I read your post which you said that a uhf rolling code remote controller and a couple of other bits that it could be done,

Any chance you could give a few pointers on how to do this would appreciate any help you can give……thanks kind regards…….dis

11. calscot

calscot
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm using X-10 to remote contol my owl screen. This cost me around £90, was a synch to install and also switches the mains to my pj and subwoofer as well as switching my table lamp.
    It included an RF controller.

I can give more details if you're interested.

Cheers,
    Cal.

12. John_N

John_N

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello.

You can buy a rolling code controller kit from here
    http://www.quasarelectronics.com/remote_control.htm
    the 2 channel kit is here:
    http://www.quasarelectronics.com/3082.htm
    for £30 including keyfob.

This will give you a board which will need a 12vDC supply and a keyfob that will trigger each channel. Each channel can be configured to be momentary or latched. Depending on the design of the switch that controls your screen you could then:

a) configure both channels as non-latched and have one button raise the screen and the other button lower the screen.

If we assume for a minute that your screen needs supply on wire A to make it go up and supply on wire B to make it go down, then you just need to connect 'A' to the normally open contacts on channel 1 and 'B' to the normally open contacts on channel 2.
    In addition, you connect positive supply to the 'common' relay contacts on channel 1 and connect the normally closed contacts of channel 1 to the common on channel 2. This last is done so that if you operate channel 1, it takes priority and means that pressing channel 2 at the same time will not put a supply on both wires to the screen and possibly damage it, trying to go up and down at the same time. In other worsds channel 2 will only operate when channel 1 is not operating.

This remote will be a radio remote. You might be able to get a similar kit for infra-red if you want to integrate it into a pronto system.

J

13. John_N

John_N

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    other things to watch out for are the contact rating of the relay and the power requirement of the screen. You should be ok here - I've used one of those kits to contol 300W of 240V lighting with no issues on one channel - the relay should be ok for about 2A at 240V from memory.

Ensure you know what you are doing. MEssing with mains voltages carries risks. It isn't a walk in the park.

14. dis

dis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +200
    John n& cal

Thanks for the info will look into it in more detail cheers ……..dis