1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

expensive progressive scan experiments on mt 7

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by ROne, Oct 9, 2001.

1. ROne

ROne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    As mentioned in an earlier post, very happy with mt-7, but I wanted to go progressive scan ...

Well the options were, 480p or 720p as stated in manual, no mention of 576p. But anway took the risk of a denon 2800 which does both 480p and a naught 576p firmware enabled.

Picture in 480p was brilliant, but alas picture in 576p didn't happen and it seems the projector can't lock onto this signal. Annoying as its only a matter of matching frequencies which the MT7 is capable of but there seems to be no provision for it.

So got an Iscan Pro, same difference with the exception you can lock the Iscan to the projector in RGBhv computer signal, the thing is even though the MT7 is 1280 x 720 panel, there is unbelievably no resolution input to cover this, just above and below at 4:3. There is no 16:9 compatible PC resolution, this is crazy and will rule out any HTPC users.

So an expensive warning, I can't find any way of running the MT7 16:9 in progressive pal, other than 4:3 in 800 x 600.

Contacted Toshiba, and got brushed off really with no it doesn't do that attitude.

Maybe a service menu would be useful.

Now stuck with an Iscan pro that is only half useful to me.

:confused:

2. Phil Hinton

Phil Hinton
    Editor Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,062
    Sorry to hear about the problems you are having.

However if you want to pass on your Iscan i can give it a good home at reasonable cost. :D :rolleyes:

3. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    Won't your and most other bulb projector owners already be in progressive scan? Or are you saying you want to feed it a higher quality PS signal?

4. ROne

ROne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    The way I read it is that the lcd projectors do de-interlace and produce a prog scan signal, but its the interpretation of prog-scan internally thats not brilliant.

The Iscan 90% does away with jaggies, flicker and other diagonal nasties and the projectors internals just don't cut the mustard.

So the Iscan does a better job, incidentally I had the denon 2800, which had the potentiol to be a good machine but in the 20 hours I had it, I had vision drop-outs, sound was intermittent. When it did work, the NTSC prog was excellent although I actually think the ISCAN produces superior NTSC prog, even though it uses the same chip and has to go through and extra A-D stage.

5. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    Thought this was probably the case but it wasn't clear in your original post.

Sorry it hasn't worked out for you. It still seems amazing that you cannot address these widescreen panels directly (sony as well?).

I noted a while ago Jeff was double checking his new Sharp had a facility where Kryton could address the DLP directly at the correct resolution. Though that was a good move at the time, checking before purchase. These issues need to be raised more on these boards to prevent expensive mistakes / experiments. Thanks you for posting your findings to share with others. It is often more valuable information than the usual praise for a machine justifying a purchase decision (prepared for a flaming). :D

Agreed tottally on the indifferent quality of virtually all deinterlacing solutions on bulb projectors. I think the Sage equipped Sim2 300 will show the way forward.

6. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    It was a good move because it turns out that the new Sharp can't do PC native 1280x720. Anyway I got fed up of waiting so I bought myself a little Plus U3 1080 (aka NEC LT150). This is a great little projector for £1775 and fed by Kryton the picture is very good indeed. I can't wait for my extras (ISCO II lens and probably a GrayHawk screen) that will turn this little beast into a monster. :D

Jeff

7. ian_guinan

ian_guinan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Where did you get the Plus from at that price? Sounds good. Is it a case of no zoom like the NEC, and is that a drawback? What is the lens you mentioned?

Also, does it do PAL progressive refresh/resolution?

(Sorry about all the questions!)

Thanks.
    Ian Guinan

8. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    I got it from here http://www.projected.co.uk/projectors.htm#plus , I'm not sure about progressive inputs etc. This projector screams for a good HTPC feed. The ISCO II is an anamorphic lens which streches the image horizontally so that a 16:9 image fills a 16:9 screen. The claimed advantages are increased brightness, contrast and detail for a more CRT like image. The disavantage is that you get some distortion that you would need to mask to cover it up. Its a slightly cude way of turning a 4:3 projector into a 16:9er. In theory you could also use it to turn a 16:9 projector into a 2.35:1 projector. A fun toy!

The lack of zoom maks it a bit harder to set up because you have to move the projector to get it to fit the screen correctly, but a projector this size is easy to move. It doesn't give you much room for error if you try to ceiling mount it.

Jeff

[ 10-10-2001: Message edited by: Jeff ]

9. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Jeff: I bet you could just use a bit of blutak to stick it to the ceiling if needed, saves money on a bracket!

10. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    I was thinking more along the lines of a used Wrigglies. :) Hows my sub coming alone?

Jeff

[ 10-10-2001: Message edited by: Jeff ]

11. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can the Plus U3 1080 (or the 880) be ceiling mounted? This is one of the reasons that I didn't get one, as the spec mentions nothing about ceiling mounting!

12. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    I should hope so since Plus actually make a ceiling mount for it! It has the necessary image invert in the setup menu.

Jeff

13. ian_guinan

ian_guinan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Thanks Jeff for the reply.
    Yes..apparently it will take a component 480p signal, but not a PAL 576p. May just have to go the HTPC route!

Ian Guinan

14. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Jeff,
    I have been thinking about the plus(or the Philips Ugo x-lite).
    But then i heard that the Nec lt-150 is the only variant of the plus that has its own innards built around the light engine.
    A host of picture enhancements called Vortex which make the Nec stand out.
    Is this true?..Have you seen the Nec in relation to the Plus/
    Thanks,
    Doug

15. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    Doug,

From what I have been able to gather, the LT150 may have improved video processing over the Plus. Since I use the VGA port the the video/scalling is bypassed so it doesn't matter. So if you are going to use a PC for DVD playback then any of the Plus U3 1080 clones should do. If you just want to plug in a DVD player via svideo then I wouldn't go for the NEC LT150 anyway.

Jeff

16. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Jeff,
    Thanks for your reply,before you bought the plus,what other machines did you look at?
    What would you say your picture is like in relation to the sim2 ht200?...Is there much in it?
    Are the colours good on the plus?
    Is the picture better than the Sanyp plv-30?
    Sorry for all the questions,but `im in the process of buying an lcd/dlp..I have about 2.5k to spend.
    Thank You,
    Doug