Expensive Phono cable-worth the price?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by gargoyle, Nov 17, 2001.

1. gargoyle

gargoyle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Since buying my first separates system back in 83, I'v always used bog standard phono cables and currently still do- I'v never had any complaints in that time and even though I'v been aware of 'quality' interconnects for roughly the same period, have never bought any as I'v always been happy with my setups and question if buying such items offer any significant improvement in sound quality.
    However, a friend is upgrading his system and has offered to sell me his Ixos interconnects- are there any pro interconnect users out there who can admit that these cables DO offer improved performance or is it just an 'image' thing?

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    You will probably get different answers from different people as no-one ever agrees on this subject.

I noticed a difference between the freebies and the £20 Ixos scarts and interconnects that I use but I am not sure that I would notice much if any extra difference if I used really expensive stuff.

Why not borrow your mate's interconnects and see for yourself. If you can't notice a difference then don't buy them.

Assuming that your equipment is of a reasonable standard you should notice some difference and you have the advantage of buying at second hand prices.

Ian

3. Doubledoom

Doubledoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had a significant improvement when i got a shielded lead between my amp and sub. It cured the humming that would occur sometimes caused by interference.

4. paiger

paiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, you will notice a difference, although IXOS are the lower end of the quality scale. You can pay a huge amount for cables and in the end you have to have the components to justify it. For the average mid range system I would recommend QED phonos. I have tried swapping cables and noticed a much punchier sound from QED's over cheapo cables. The IXOS ones will be an improvement over what you have but don't pay too much for them. Like a previous poster said, try them out. If you can't hear an improvement then don't spend money to make you feel better.

S

5. gargoyle

gargoyle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Thanks for the input people
    As it seems to be a case of 'proof of the puddings in the eating', I intend to purchase some QED interconnects some time next week- I'll let you know how they perform on receipt of the cables.

6. Lowrider

Lowrider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I didn´t use to believe in cables, but I have been trying some lately and I have to admit there are big differences, but not only based on price, I found the Ecosse Composer interconnects, 30 pounds a pair to sound similar to a 200 pound cable, but much better then other 3 or 4 I also tried in the 30 pound range...

Also for speaker cable, my Cable Talk 3.1, 3 pounds a meter, sound better than a couple 10 times more expensive I tested...

7. gargoyle

gargoyle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Instead of buying my friends Ixos cables, I bought a pair of QED phonos for £30.
    On installation, I can confirm that there is a significant improvement- it tends to be more pronounced with music material, offering slightly more detailed sound, especially with classical music.
    As for films, I have to admit that I did'nt find much of an improvement but I intend to carry on experimenting as I'v found that different brands have markedly different characteristics.

:)

8. Lowrider

Lowrider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Another one with the cable disease, now you will be listening to the cables instead of the music, until you are cured... ;)

Good luck...