Expensive HDMI cables and better sound quality?

nikophonics

Novice Member
Have spent a lot of time reading on here, reference HDMI cables are all the same, making no difference what so ever too picture quality. Having to agree with the experts findings, as I am just a layman!
Would this be the same with sound quality? Are there any specific links to articles that discuss this? :lesson:
Many thanks

neilball

HDMI is carried as an encrypted digital stream, therefore there is no way cables, being an entirely passive device, can affect the picture or sound quality. If they could they would have to decrypt the stream, target the elements of the digital signal to "enhance" and then re-encrypt the signal for ongoing transmission to the next device upstream.

Trollslayer

Distinguished Member
Neil has hit it on the head.
HDMI cables should be branded 'Standard Speed' or 'High Speed'.
Ignore cables which go on about HDMI version numbers, it is not relevant to the cable.

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
I was amazed at some of the 'BS' (it was in the US) being peddled by cable manufacturers at the recent CEDIA Trade Show - had to walk off of a couple of Stands vs. have a barny over some Pseudo Science, the cables with a 'battery' applied to the shield were the biggest laugh/highest cost.

Joe

Trollslayer

Distinguished Member
Joe - this is why I avoid shows like that.

offitmassive

Hdmi whether costing £0.99 from amazon or a monster Hdmi cable costing £99.99 works in the same way... Digitally, you can't improve on it if it's working. Simple. I personally look for the cheaper thinner cables as they are more flexible and is handy when trying to insert the wires through into wall cavities , going up the cavity and back through wall into room . And all this gold plated plug malarkey...lolz, this has no benefit to the quality as the signal is sent digitally inside the cable!!!

neilball

Hdmi whether costing £0.99 from amazon or a monster Hdmi cable costing £99.99 works in the same way... Digitally, you can't improve on it if it's working. Simple. I personally look for the cheaper thinner cables as they are more flexible and is handy when trying to insert the wires through into wall cavities , going up the cavity and back through wall into room . And all this gold plated plug malarkey...lolz, this has no benefit to the quality as the signal is sent digitally inside the cable!!!

There are differences in cable quality, very cheap cables might not have great soldering on the head shell, poor shielding, poor strain relief, or mechanical fixing of the head shell to the cable (meaning it might detach in time). Very thin cables are also a problem if trying to run at max bandwidth over a couple of metres or more - thin cables increase volt-drop for example, which can be quite critical with HDMI.

With all of that said I'm certainly not suggesting that expensive cables offer anything over cheap cables provided the cheap cables work to begin with and continue to work long term (or can easily be replaced should they fail in time).

offitmassive

I know, better insulation and all blah blah blah but as OP was questioning sound quality, and like I stated they work or they don't. You won't see or hear any difference in quality over a couple of metres .

neilball

I know, better insulation and all blah blah blah but as OP was questioning sound quality, and like I stated they work or they don't. You won't see or hear any difference in quality over a couple of metres .

I was commenting on the difference you will find in a 99p versus £100 cable - there may be some differences in physical construction, but as I said earlier this does not have any difference on picture or audio quality. The only time you see any difference is at the signal limit where you will get major issues - sparklies or colour casts, followed by complete loss of signal.

nikophonics

Novice Member
Okay then. thanks for all your input. Guess that's a big no then! :rolleyes: