Expensive freesat box vs fixing the aerial/using internal antennae

petersiffredi

Novice Member
Hi,
I've recently cancelled SKY as they just doubled the price on me. I now want to setup freeview (preferrably) or freesat. My main requirements are the ability to:

- Watch free to air TV
- Get catch up (iPlayer, 4 on Demand, etc)
- Record and pause TV

I'd like to buy the Manhattan T3-R for the above, but I'm not sure the antennae in the house is connected (we've had SKY for years). I've tried a bit of a DIY job, but I don't really know what I'm doing and so far it hasn't worked (See pictures at the bottom).

With freeview and a decent aerial, my life is simple as I can just buy something like the T3R below.

I've still got the SKY+ box, so I could use freesat, but getting a good freesat box to meet my requirements below is about 4x the cost of freeview.
Humax HB-1100S HD TV Freesat Receiver (records with an external hard disk plugged in, so I'm not sure how well it would work and whether I can connect a SKY disk anyway)

Humax 1100s

I'm hoping someone can advise:
1. If I use a small internal aerial whether I'm likely to get a decent enough signal for freeview?
2. What a typical cost for connecting an aerial is? The house has the antennae, but I'm not sure it's connected.
3. Any recommendations for a freesat box that meet my requirements for around £200 (i.e. at a similar price to freeview)

Basically, I'm trying to work out my options...

Thanks in advance

coax cable, I have, unfortunately, I don't have the right connector ends and tried the exposed wire in the socket, didn't work.
20200315_221645.jpg

socket I fitted myself, but not sure it's the right type (followed advice from the bloke in the hardware store)
socket.jpg

Clem_Dye

Distinguished Member
Freeview reception on an internal aerial will be very hit and miss. You need to check your postcode to see what you’re predicted to receive. Unless you’re on top of a transmitter forget setback aerials. Loft is better, but outside is best. Your choice if Freeview PVRs is limited to Manhattan, Humax or Panasonic. As for Freesat, nothing doing on the PVR front until the new Arris box finally surfaces, which is was supposed to have appeared last month but is overdue. The wall plate in your photo looks like one of those cheap and nasty things that actually attenuate signal, at least they did when I used one.

Clem

TJT1

The presence of a wall plate (regardless of quality) sort of indicates that an aerial is/has been/could easily be connected to the other end of the feeder coax (wherever that is).

If Yes, then get a decent patch lead or repair properly the one you have, connect it to that wall plate and the TV then tune the TV. (Unless the TV is really stone age, it will have a Freeview tuner). You need Plugs on the ends of the patch lead not sockets. The plug has a male centre connector that fits into the female socket on the wall plate and the TV.
Something like THIS
Does that work?

Rodders53

Distinguished Member
Freesat - 4K TV Box the new recordable box is due any time... so they say (but the availability of the non-recordable box makes it more likely to be true).
Prices have been suggested as £250/£300 depending on HDD capacity?

This is a pracical and simple how to make off an aerial lead: Wiring up plugs, aerials and wall plates - A.T.V. Poles, Brackets, Clamps & Aerials The plastic TV plug you have in your picture is on the cheap and nasty side (in my opinion) but could work OK if made off properly.

I'd avoid the type of plug linked to by TJT1 (sorry) as it looks to be aluminium and they can oxidise over time. Nickel-plated brass is my preferred - just like Justin of ATV aerials CoAx plug (nickel plated brass) - A.T.V. Poles, Brackets, Clamps & Aerials

Justin at ATV aerials also sells good quality fly leads with moulded plugs on both ends. CoAx 2m quality fly lead - A.T.V. Poles, Brackets, Clamps & Aerials

As others have said LOCATION is key to reception of terrestrial TV (aka Freeview). Give us a very nearby postcode and we can advise more (shop, church, pub, school within 100 metres or so of your home.

We very seldom advise room / set-top aerials as the transmitter network is designed around the use of directional outside aerials at 10 metres above the ground. But it is worth reading this Indoor / Set top aerials - A.T.V. Poles, Brackets, Clamps & Aerials
It really does depend on location. In my bedrooms set top aerials work adequately for casual viewing, but on the ground floor they would not be reliable. So I have a loft aerial feeding those rooms. I am however fairly close to one of the highest power TV transmitters in the UK.

TJT1

Rodders
:facepalm:

Agreed.
Must try harder with my links

My idea was just try it and see what you get. (If anything):D

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Streaming Theatrical Releases And The Future Of Cinema
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon