1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

expensive DVD or cheap DVD+moderate CD player

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by taimur, Apr 20, 2003.

1. taimur

taimur
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm not sure what DVD player to buy and I'd be interested in your opinions.

At the moment I have a Rotel 1055 AV receiver and Anthony Gallo nucleus micro speakers. I don't know whether I should buy a relatively cheap DVD player for movies along with a moderately priced CD player for music, or go for a more expensive DVD player for playback of both.

What I'm considering is something like the Arcam DV88+ as the expensive option (which I've demo'd and I'm happy with). Or should I go for a £300 player (eg Toshiba 520, Philips 963, etc) with something like an Arcam CD72?. I'm not sure how easy it's going to be to demo the relatively cheap DVD players as the cheaper DVD players aren't stocked by the shop from which I bought my kit.

I'll be buying a plasma screen in a few months too.

I can get instant gratification by buying a cheap DVD player now, but I'm going to have to wait to save up if I go for the Arcam DVD!

Taimur

2. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    How about buying a Philips DVD-963SA from www.robertsonsonline.co.uk @ £308, try it at home, if you don't rate it, send it back for a refund.
    The Toshiba SD-520 could be same from www.richer-sounds.com
    @ £169 . Though both are usually out of stock.
    Richers also do the Arcam CD-72 discounted below £449 price in black or silver.
    Most agree the CD performance of DiVA 88+ is level with CD-72 roughly.
    I have a perfect 963 which I'm delighted with, CD playback is fine , plus it has SACD.
    If your intended plasma will allow Pal-Progressive, the Arcam and Philips will provide this, one machine which doesn't but may do so in future is the Pioneer 757, I have never seen one working but it has benefit of excellent reviews and forum members speak highly of it.
    If looking to buy a DVD player now, the Pioneer would be top of my list to investigate :)

3. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +450
    Also the DAC on the RSX1055 are quite good ... a cheeper DVD player plus use the internal DACs for CD is another option.

The Pioneer 656sa is another good option as it has both SACD and DVD-A playback for arround £400 if you're interested in multi-channel music.

Vikki

4. taimur

taimur
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for the replies. Would the image quality also be a lot inferior in a cheaper DVD player (around the £3-400 mark) compared to the Arcam's? or is there not much in it these days in the more recent DVD players

I was planning to get the pioneer 433mxe, so it would be pal progressive compatible and I'd also plug my computer into it.

I'm just interested in CD's just now. I'm not sure if I'd be interested in SACD or DVD-A sometime in the future.

Taimur

5. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +450
    The 656sa doesn't have progressive scan (sorry missed in your original post you were getting a plasma) ... the 757ai has NTSC prog-scan and promised firmware upgrade for PAL prog-scan later.

I found upgrading from a Tosh 210e to the Arcam (via a NAD T550 actually) that the Arcam had lot clearer picture with better colours (with a 32" JVC CRT) but swapping the Arcam for a Pioneer 757ai I didn't notice any difference in quality, if anythin the pioneer is slightly better but I couldn't really quantify the difference.

If I was you ... I'd get the Pioneer (mine was £600 from www.leconcepts.com) plus a £3-400 CD player rather than the Arcam - in fact thats what I did ... sold an Arcam DV88 to buy the Pioneer. Great DVD playback, good CD playback (with the 757ai) now with money for a dedicated CD later plus the ability to play SACD and DVD-A for nothing.

Hope this helps
    Vikki

6. taimur

taimur
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the link - I didn't realise the 757 was being sold so cheaply.

Taimur

7. Triggaaar

Triggaaar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,011
    I'm going for the more expensive dvd to do both jobs - but if I wasn't, I'd certainly demo the Harman Kardon DVD25. Both PAL and NTSC pro scan from component outputs. No SACD or DVD-A, but if you're after that, I'd have thought u'd be better going for the all in one option, as you'll want decent sound fron the dvd player.

I'm looking at Plasma too, which is part of the reason I'm spending more on just a dvd (I'm expecting better video from the more expensive players as well as better audio).

Mike

8. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    I would go Arcam, it is a gem of player and will do PS if you want it too (you 'new' plasma will also do this), else I would compromise on either a Tosh 520 or a Tosh 900

9. taimur

taimur
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had a chat with my wife today who was at the demo of the Arcam + Rotel + Gallo's + plasma. Together we thought it would be best to save up a little more for the Arcam because we did like the sound and video quality from it. My local 7oaks are doing interest free credit (if paid up within a year), so I might buy half of it now and the rest over the year.

Thanks for all the advice.
    Taimur