1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Expensive CRT OR Cheap Plasma

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Hudson, Apr 25, 2005.

1. Hudson

Hudson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Well the title says it all, I have am totally confused as to my choice in screen. I do not have enought for the Hitachi 7200 or Pioneer XDE, so am in the market for either the Toshiba 36zp48 (or similar), or something like the Panny PW7, I know both are not HiDef but since Sky will never really enter my house i am not likely to miss it much. I have read various problems with both types of screen, but would i gain a lot in terms of picture quality in getting a CRT 36 inch (33inches really) over a 37 or 42 inch (cheap) plasma ? And will the price of these ''non hi def '' plasma's come down as the HiDef bug kicks in ?

2. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +520
    It depends whether you care more about having a picture that is sharp, with excellent colour saturation and great contrast (CRT), or a picture with perfect geometry (plasma).

3. jiml

jiml
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    If you plan to uprade again in a couple of years, then consider what you would do with the CRT. At least with a plasma it can be relegated to the kids room or bedroom. Well, my house doesn't have a big enough bedroom for a 36" CRT. That's what swung my decision.

Read the televisions forum and you will see people having issues with CRT too.

4. Hudson

Hudson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Thanks for that, i was considering the Panny 37/42 pw7, cheers.

5. Kier

Kier
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    At the £1000 mark you can not beat the 37" Panasonic PW7. This is a top notch 37" plasma selling for less than I bought my 36" Panasonic CRT a year ago...

And comparing the picture on my 36" CRT (Panasonic TX-36PD30) to the PW7... well there's no comparison in my opinion.

Plus there's the distinct benefit that you won't do yourself an injury moving the plasma screen around - something which you definitely can't say about the CRT.

6. music

music

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    By conicidence I have exactly the same problem as Hudson. I have been really seriously considering a Tosh 36zp48 because I heard the pic quality was great. But now thinking of the Panny TH37PW... better overall size (esp larger actual screen size.

So Keir please tell me when you say there was no comparison between your Panny 36" CRT and the PW7 I assume you mean the plasma is superior? (Although more expensive once you get the input boards). And Hudson, I'd be really grateful if you would keep me posted as to any advice you get that may influence your decision...as it wouold probably influence me too - thanks a lot.

7. Chavvychase

Chavvychase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My main TV packed up about two months ago, so have been exploring the TV market in some detail (spending a lot of time on these forums). My initial thought was to get a Toshiba 36z48p.

I am now thinknig of getting a plasma for the following reasons:

even a 36 crt picture looks small against a 37" plasma;
    if I want to relegate my purchase to a bedroom in years to come, the CRT would be just too big;
    the 36z48p weighs a ton (actually about 76kg);
    Despite what others have said about PQ, I can't get the thought out of my mind that I would be buying old technology if I went for the CRT
    in my opinion, a plasam looks better in a living room than a CRT
    On the other hand, you can get a 3648p now for about £870, whereas a good plasma would be about twice the price if not more.

My next big decsion is what plasma to get. I think I'll wait though until next month, when the new Pannys and Hitachis appear.

8. Kier

Kier
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    music - Yes, I would say the plasma is superior in almost every way.

The plasma has a bigger picture, a far more room-friendly cabinet (ie: it doesn't occupy half the room), perfect geometry and focus, none of the convergence issues that seem to plague modern CRTs, which leaves only colour, contrast and brightness issues for you to consider...

... and in my opinion, a decent plasma like the PW7 can easily match the quality of today's CRTs on all those fronts.

9. Welwynnick

Welwynnick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +824
    Why would anyone think that a plasma gives a better picture than a CRT TV? Convergence is NOT an issue. Plasmas have better geometry, but that's not significant. Put them side by side and CRT always walks away with it. Any CRT will reproduce 576 lines, against 480 for any cheap plasma. Plasmas are thin - that's all. Why not get a JVC HV-36P38 and then you will be able to watch high definition without down-scaling. If you want a hang-on-the-wall TV, and who doesn't, then get a plasma. If you want PQ, get a CRT. (PS I'm neutral, I have both)

10. JohnCCFC

JohnCCFC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I had a 36" Sony CRT. I love my panny plasma, but it ain't no Sony CRT. Not close.

11. u32t5645

u32t5645

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This might be worth re-thinking in light of the new hi-def dvd. I think they’ll be here much sooner than expected. Of course, if you don't watch dvds it's not an issue.

12. lisag

lisag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +296
    I would suggest that the size of your room is a factor, it must be pretty big to comfortably house a 36" CRT.

13. u32t5645

u32t5645

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Also worth keeping in mind is that plasma’s have the ability to display (make obviously visible) imperfections in the source signal. Often stuff gets smoothed out and isn’t noticeable (as much) with a crt. Don't know if that is as true with a high-end crt...maybe you will see goobers.

14. Hudson

Hudson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    wow, lots of info there, the room issue is not an issue, i have a dedicated room for my AV, which has been insulated for sound. I have not come across the JVC 36'' you mentioned, the depth that the CRT goes back is not an issue as the plasma (if i did get one) would be on a dedicated glass cabinet and the space behind it would simply be unused. What worries me a little about Plasma is the pixel issue that some get in that you may have a number of dead (or not very busy !) pixels but they are within the makers tolerances, so no changing ! Little things like dead pixels on the screen would really bug me and i would be drawn to them. I will look up the JVC, thanks a lot and MUSIC, i will keep you posted.

15. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +520
    Dead pixels are less of a problem with plasma than they are with LCD. I get the impression they're slightly less common on plasma anyway, but, even if they're there, they're less visible. A dead pixel on a plasma screen will, at worst, give you a small black dot in the middle of a patch that's supposed to be bright. By contrast, a dead pixel on LCD tends to produce a small, brilliantly bright dot - and a bright dot in the middle of an area that should be dark is much more of a distraction.

16. lisag

lisag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +296
    If you have a dedicated insulated home cinema room, then why not go for a projector?

17. TeresaTT

TeresaTT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    How can you have a dedicated home cinema room without a projector?