1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Expecting too much?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Pulsar, Jan 26, 2003.

1. Pulsar

Pulsar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +294
    Hello.

I have today purchased a LG DVD-ROM drive for my PC as I plan on using it to supply a projector. The drive came with a copy of Power DVD, so I used that and spun a few discs. My first impression was 'Is that it?' I was expecting to get a very clear, noise free picture with ultra smooth motion. But I didn't! There was a small amount of noise/distortion in places where colour change was gradual, and the picture didn't seem very sharp or smooth. My PC is as follows.

P4 2.2 Ghz, Geforce 4 Ti 4200, 512 MB DDR RAM, LG DVD ROM, 40GB HD, NEC LCD1700 V 17" Monitor @ 1280*1024.

Did I expect too much? I hope that the picture will look better when stretched 70" accross my wall. What can I do to improve the picture? I plan on getting a Radeon in the next few days, once I decide which one to buy, will this help?

Also, is there a DVD player that uses hardware decoding of MPEG 2, and would this help?

Cheers

Rob

2. JohnS

JohnS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Pictures on lcd flatscreens never look great, what pj are you partnering it with...make sure youn download powerstrip and find the custom settings to go with your pj's native resolution otherwise you'll still wonder what the fuss is about.

3. Pulsar

Pulsar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +294
    John

I plan on getting the Sony HS10 to partner with my PC.

Lets hope it is worth the money.

Cheers

Rob

4. JohnS

JohnS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    I've just got a HS10 myself and via an ATI 9500 via DVi it is simple stunning at its native resolution of 1368*768.

Unfortunatly your GF4 wont do the native res via DVi, you'll need a Radeon card.

I personally think that Theatretek is also a worthwhile purchase over Power DVD4 XP.

5. byronm

byronm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    theater tek has better video support from what most people have said.

I would also re-tune your setup with Avia for the source your playing, especially if your projector supports multiple configs based on input source or something like that.