1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Expectations too high?

Discussion in 'TVs' started by unseenreal, Feb 10, 2003.

1. unseenreal

unseenreal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Having decided to enter the modern age of multimedia entertainment, I purchased the following items:

Toshiba SD220E £120 from Richer Sounds
    Sony KV28LS35 £450 (pricematch) from KK Electronics
    Sky dish, digibox and installation (NO monthly subscription) £120 from Sky

I have a couple of questions that I hope someone may be able to answer...

1. I have to admit to feeling ever so slightly underwhelmed by the picture quality when playing a DVD. I'm not sure why this is. I have a reasonable quality scart cable (Thick cable/gold connector 1.5m scart lead £10 from Richer Sounds) and I'm certain the signal going into the TV is RGB. Why am I missing the wow factor I was expecting? I don't know if it's just that my expectations are too high or if I've bought a duff telly or what.

2. Sky is actually being installed this weekend and I want to be able to plug it into the TV via RGB scart. What's the best (and most cost effective) way to get 2 RGB sources into one RGB scart socket?

Many thanks

2. Bogside

Bogside

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +383
    If it's not your expectations it could be something to do with the set up menu in either your tv or dvd player. You might have to "tell" your player to output rgb and your tv to input rgb (that's how it works on my panasonic system anyway.

For your second problem you could invest in a scart switcher box ( I think leconcepts sell them). It is a bit of a pain as you have to physically press a switch to change between sources but not so bad that you'd mind.

3. roadtorode

roadtorode

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is the picture actually flawed, or just not as exciting as you expected ?

You may have to work hard on the tv picture settings, avoiding the presets if possible, since they are often bizarre. Also, be wary of the picture presets on the DVD too. Experiment, experiment, experiment.

Both units you have brought are well regarded peices of budget kit, so should perform just fine. I have experience of both, although not together, so I guess it's back to the original question; do you have a flawed picture which could suggest a hard fault ? Borrow and substitute another cable, and try RGB vs SVID vs composite to see any problem moves around...

4. unseenreal

unseenreal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your replies, I only got the TV yesterday and I definately need to experiment some more and try a few different DVDs. There's nothing actually wrong with the picture, I think I was expecting it to be more sharp as in able to see much more detail and somehow more alive by which I mean more lively colour and contrast.

Anyway, if anyone has any other thoughts they are welcome to chip in, I'll post back after I get Sky installed.

5. chris

chris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    i would plug the DVD player into the sky box and then the sky box into the TV, both of them plugged into the RGB scart socket (do not know the TV, so do not know how the setup is on the scart sockets).

Then your video into scart socket 2...thats if your TV can output, what ever is on Socket 1 to Socket 2...when i had a panasonic 32", i had the DVD connected to the second scart socket on the video, the video going to the sky box and then from the sky box to the TV.......when ever i turned the DVD on, it would over- ride the sky box and video and give me RGB DVD.

i think one of the reasons you are not happy with the results, is because the TV is to small....it is prob OK for normal TV, but when it comes to movies, you are prob used to going to the cinema to see them, on a big screen...i think you should of went for at least a 32".

IMO 28" are a waste of time...unless you have just retired and are not intrested in those pesky DVD and Computer thing'ys.

6. unseenreal

unseenreal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Chris, great idea about the connections, I'll try that - sounds better than getting a switch box and having to fiddle about to switch between sources.

I'm happy with 28" and in fact I am beginning to like the TV more and more as I get used to it (can't wait to get a decent picture from Sky and Free2view). I would still like better resolution and I'm not sure that going bigger would necessarily give me that but I can see your point especially regarding widescreen DVDs.

Of course if I had the money and the world wasn't half full of starving people I would spend £5K on a plasma!!! but at the end of the day I say to myself that it is *just* a telly and that there's *more to life* than this and to **stop** obsessing about whether I've bought the right stuff!

Cheers

UR

7. roadtorode

roadtorode

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    For plus £200, you could change your set (supplier-willing) for the 28LS60 (virtually identical set to behold), which is 100Hz, and will give you a better DVD picture, better VCR picture and better analogue TV picture.

It also has 3 x scart of which 2 are RGB, easing your connection woes. I assume the LS35 only has one RGB ?

The down side is that the basic 100Hz processing of the 28LS60 is not suited to many of SKYs low bandwidth broadcasts, and can look blocky on certain digital channels.

8. unseenreal

unseenreal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I looked v. closely at the LS60 and agree with all you say technically but I couldn't justify the extra dosh having already gone over my original budget. Also, I think my wife might have left me!!

The truth is that I had already 'upgraded' from my original plan a couple of times so the idea that started out a week ago in my head of a TV costing £300 turned into one costing £450 (which really is an excellent price looking back at some posts from the middle of last year). Anyway, thanks for your replies, I think it's helped me realise that what I've got is pretty ok by anyone's standards.

UR

9. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If only it were that easy... stick around and see how you, like most of us, can obtain that AV monkey on your back :smashin:

10. BillyNomez

BillyNomez

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yup, you'll get a bad AV itch and slowly start to scratch it :D

" ever so slightly underwhelmed..."
    Have patience with the set up, someones always got bigger and better, Ive got the sd220e and there are subtle tweaks within the controls that do alter the pic - coupled with TV's controls. Works well with Panny 32 " but boy did I have problems hiding that from the missus to start with.
    Got a friend with equipment so to speak then compare, or better still show off your stuff to jealous friends but..
    ...enjoy !

BRBN