Expansion Slot for Pioneer MXE1

pemberto

Established Member
Reaction score
This request goes out to the likes of Joe Fernand, Gordon and MAW as I am looking for help on the 504HDE vs. MXE1 for a high end setup.

After talking to a few people including MAW about which unit to go for, I think I have decided to go for the MXE1 as I would like to make the most of a Crestron system I have.

This question relates to the expansion slot on the MXE1. What is the best card to go for? I have seen people comment on the Aurora Multimedia card and I just been reading about the Key Digital HD Explorer card which provides two DVI/HDCP, two Component, One RGBHV as well as integration to Crestron.

Or am I just going down a blind hole and should I be considering the HDE again.

Thanks.

Gordon,
I have seen the Key Digital advertised in the UK for £1500.

Here is a breakdown of current and future sources.
DVD - Denon A11(planned) DVI/Component
SAT - SKY+ RGB/S-Video
LD - Pioneer 919 S-Video
VCR-JVC SVHS S-Video
DVCR - JVC DVHS Component
HDSAT DVI/Component
DVDR - Sony Component
Scaler - DVDO HD
DVD Changer - Sony US Component
XBOX Component/S-video
PS/2 Component/S-Video
Crestron Video Distribution PVID Component

Thanks, Pemberto

Pemberto: I was/ may still be/ the Key Digital distributor. It was originally supposed to be out DEC2002. It was then delayed till mid 2003, before they seemed to give up. It has been advertised since late 2002 on many websites. I even saw two working versions in Sept2002 and January2003. Believe it is available and works when you see it.(of course this can be said for anything).

If you want to use the DVI outputs of the HD sat and DVD player then you are going to need an HDCP equipped input board. I honestly cannot comment as to which is most suitable as I have not seen Aurora. I am in same situation though as I am considering swapping my Panny for a MXE01.

If you chose to use component output of HD Sat and got an SDI modded DVD player instead then you could just use a non HDCP DVI board. DVDo are doing SDI input boards for their scaler at some point over summer. Alternatively the new Lumagens have SDI avaiLable and will also have film mode detection for HD processing (like the HD explorer card is supposed to)

Hope this is some use,

Gordon

Originally posted by Gordon @ Convergent AV
If you chose to use component output of HD Sat and got an SDI modded DVD player instead then you could just use a non HDCP DVI board.

Doesn't the Mxe1 already have a non HDCP DVI? can this be used for anything other than a PC? shows how much i know!:p and i have 43mxe1 on order!!

Yes I believe it is going to have a non HDCP DVI input as standard. It should accept NON copyprotected DVI source material. I'd also expect that it will not be limited to PC resolutions but will also accept Native Resolution.

So if you had SDI in on scaler and DVI out you would have an all digital pathway. This doesn't mean it's going to be better than analogue of course. If it's all done well I'd hope it would be though.

My spies tell me that there may be a useful "feature" of the MXE01 which will be of great benefit to some scaler owners but I'm not going to go in to it just now until it's confirmed it's there and it actually functions.

Gordon

Thanks for the update Gordon. I will have to do a little bit more digging.

Gordon, You were right about the KeyDigital card not being available. I checked with last night and received one of those heart warming responses "The product is not available. It will be a while."

Gordon,

Dont know if this has been asked but do the new lumagen use SI deinterlacing or is it propriatory?

Regards,

Steve.

A while in KeyDigital land is probably a couple of years. I got an email from them 9months ago saying that some issues I had with another device would be fixed by the weekend........they still aren't.

Gordon

Steve,

They will initially use Sil504 de-interlcaing engine but without the SIL CO-Processor used my many others. They are doing their own co-processing, This will clear up the bad edit issues that very occasionally cropped up before. Once they have the unit actually in production with the features they have promised all working they will start to write the software to try and do their own per pixel motion adaptive de-interlacing (there is ALOT more horsepower inthe new units compared to first generation). It is envisaged that they should be able to improve on the SIL504 and at that point the firmware will be issued to allow it to be turned off and full proprietry Lumagen processing be used.

Hope that's of use.

Gordon

Looks promising then :D

Thanks Gordon.

Steve.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom