• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Question Expanding from Sonos

Beks

Novice Member
Hi there! Complete newbie! Please help if you can. I have 2 x Play5s the Sonos Sub and a few Play1s. Where do you go from here? More Sonos? Two Fyne Audio 501? Anything else you could suggest? Sound quality is the lost important issue. I want to treat myself with a more speakers! They have changed my life :) Thanks!

MaryWhitehouse

Prominent Member
Isn't Sonos a closed system i.e. nothing other than Sonos?

acgingersnaps

Prominent Member
I have a sonos system and a hifi system. I think there's a sonos amp now that is part of the sonos ecosystem, but requires passive speakers of your choice. Otherwise you can get a real amp and a port (i have an older connect).
The other option is just to not connect your actual hifi to your sonos. I did this for ages. Was fine.

I would point out, as someone with both, I love the sonos ecosystem and ease of use. It's great in the kitchen and hidden away in other rooms. However, if as stated, you're prepared to spend over £1k on speakers (and amplify them well) they should be head and shoulders over the Sonos. Mine certainly are.

Beks

Novice Member
I have a sonos system and a hifi system. I think there's a sonos amp now that is part of the sonos ecosystem, but requires passive speakers of your choice. Otherwise you can get a real amp and a port (i have an older connect).
The other option is just to not connect your actual hifi to your sonos. I did this for ages. Was fine.

I would point out, as someone with both, I love the sonos ecosystem and ease of use. It's great in the kitchen and hidden away in other rooms. However, if as stated, you're prepared to spend over £1k on speakers (and amplify them well) they should be head and shoulders over the Sonos. Mine certainly are.
Thank you very much for your reply, makes a lot of sense. I am happy to spend over £1k just wasn’t sure what to get. Any advise? I’ve budget £1.5k. Could I ask what you are using in addition to Sonos?

MaryWhitehouse

Prominent Member
You need to give some idea of what you’re trying to achieve for a start.

acgingersnaps

Prominent Member
I have 2x sonon 3 as a stereo pair in the kitchen, 2x sonos 1 in the front room and my hifi in the tv room. Rega amp with neat motive sx2 speakers (too small for your room, i'd imagine!). A mate has sonos 5's in his kitchen, so i've experience with them too.

You need to give some idea of what you’re trying to achieve for a start.

This is the thing though. Is your budget just for speakers or do you need an amp and source as well?
I already had a hifi system, which i've slowly upgraded over the years and only started building up the sonos when we moved from a flat to a house, so was sort of the other way round from yourself.

MaryWhitehouse

Prominent Member

The latest video from AVForums

CES 2023 Round Up: New TV Lineups for 2023 from LG, Samsung, Panasonic, Hisense & TCL
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom