Expanding a B&w set up

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by blasted, Jan 16, 2008.

1. blasted

blasted

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +132
    Im looking to build up a 5.1 surround system. I currently have 2 b&w 601 s3's. Do i continue to get b&w 6 series speakers as and when they come up for sale? or go for something else all together. I really like listening to them for my music. They are run with a rotel rcd-02 cd player and an rcd-01 amp. Obviously i dont have stacks of cash and budget is a factor.

Secondly if i do continue with b&w's is there much of a problem mixing s2 and s3 speakers?

thirdly what priority should i give to buying the speakers, i.e two more for fronts, then center, followed by sub?

Additional, I have seen a few sets of 601, 602 and 603 speakers on flea bay. the owners state they are only 2 years old or thereabout but are clearly series 2, when did the s2's stop and the s3's start?

thanks in advance of any answers at all.

2. Oli2k

Oli2k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    I personally had 2 B&W 601 S2 speakers for a few years before I went 5.1 and stuck with the same speakers for the rears and I'm very happy with the sound on music and films, I really like the sound they produce and have since day one. I'm not sure on mixing S2 and S3 speakers though as I believe you will hear the difference. My center is only a S1 and it sounds a little dull compared to the S2s My S2 are dated Nov 1999 on both sets I have if thats any help.

When I 1st started I didn't think I'd need a sub but trust me it makes the sound so much more exciting when watching films. You will need a center speaker before anything else though or you won't hear half the film as it's used for most of the film. Then it's a choice of rears or a sub, which is down to you. Without rears you will not have surround sound but a sub would be very close on my list if not before :)

I hope this helps

Oli :smashin:

3. iSix

iSix

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm afraid they are talking sh!te. I bought my 604 S3's 2yrs 2 months ago and they had been around for at least a year before then because I auditioned some.

If you give B&W a yell they'll tell you.

4. blasted

blasted

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +132
    Thanks for that :thumbsup:

i cant afford to go to the newer stuff so its a case of stick with what i have or flog them and put the money towards a different complete set.

5. Oli2k

Oli2k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    I paid £200 for my rears and centre of ebay and got really lucky as they looked like new which doesn't always happen with fleabay. Just keep your eye out and wait for the right seller and speakers.

Oli :smashin:

6. blue max

blue max
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,307
    I am having a clear out...

I personally found the CC6 to be not a great speaker. I upgraded to an LCR6 and it is much more up to the job. I think they will match the 602's best. For rears, you could use the DS6's which work well and have the same voice (sound).

I am going to be building a new living room in my basement, so am needing to reappraise all my speakers as I may well use the opportunity to build them in somehow. I will have B&W series II 603s, 602s, LCR6, DS6s (all in black) and ASW675 (sorrento). If you have any interest in any of these, please let me know and I will list them first in the classifieds.

I have posted this earlier today, so get in quick.

It's a chance to build up a decent sounding outfit for a fraction of the cost.

Upgrading is a continual process, so spending less is always a good idea. At least you have some speakers while you save.

Graham