Question Expand storage capacity ?

Bigg Dugg

Standard Member
Hi

I have a QNAP TS 451+ 8GB NAS with four 6TB HDD configured in a RAID.
Unvelievably , Im almost out of storage space and am looking for options.

1. Stuff an old PC full of HDD and back up the NAS , however this is not really addressing all of my issues.
2. replace all 4 of my HDD in the NAS with larger capacity drives.
3. Another NAS tied to my existing on - possibly a QNAP TL-D800C 8-Bay Desktop Expansion Enclosure - or such like.

Any thoughts ?

mickevh

Distinguished Member
Which RAID version are you using?

2. But check that you can dynamically expand the array, that it can cope with the larger discs and make sure you have a backup of any important data before you start.

drummerjohn

Why are you using RAID? Is it business critical? Priority is backup so lose the RAID and gain back the storage and also setup a backup device assuming there is stuff you do not want to lose.

ajohnson30

Well, depending on your budget, one option (your #2) is to replace all the drives as you mentioned. QNAP shows drive compatibilites with various WD/Seagate/HGST/Toshiba models all the way up to 16TB. You could even replace one disk at a time, wait for rebuild, then replace the next disk, repeat, etc, until all disks are done/replaced. Then you should be able to expand your volume/LUN to use the new capacity.

Having a good backup beforehand would be a good idea though, just in case :)

Sloppy Bob

Distinguished Member
I have an 8-bay Synology. One of the reasons I bought a Synology was they use their own Hybrid Raid system called SHR.

The benefit to this is that I can mix and match drives sizes and get full use of all the space as long as I have at least 2 drives of the largest size.
The next time I run out of space (a fair while away) I'l remove a 10TB drive and add something larger, then repeat it and the array will expand and continue doing that as and when required.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: LG C1 OLED + JBL Synthesis SDR-35 First Thoughts, plus TV Show & Disc Reviews & more
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom