1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

exorcist video

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by spidermanalf, Sep 18, 2003.

1. spidermanalf

spidermanalf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +103
    I have, what looks like an ex rental copy of the exorcist from 70s (1974 I think). It looks original, i.e. has a proper box, and stickers on the tape etc, but was this ever relased on video at around that time??

I have had it for about 10 years, so its not a re release!

Any info would be appreciated!

Cheers

Jonathan

2. KRRK

KRRK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Was first released in 1982 as a 'to buy' tape, I think, but not in huge numbers. Later on, a rental version was released with 'rental' in blue accross the front, before it was withdrawn before the Video Recordings Act. I think this version had the old 'X' certificate.

If it's one of the first versions, there should be a card inside giving cast and crew information and the assurance that the video 'is the same as the version shown in cinemas' and also a little book with other titles to collect. No certificate. it's quite collectable, as not many were made.

3. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +144
    It was available to rent on video in the early 80s before the paranoia 'video nasties' ban where it was withdrawn until a few years ago.

I remember renting it from Radio Rentals at the time.
    Had a whole loada mates in one Sat night to watch it.

It came in the large familiar black Warner Home Video Case

I'd say you have this version.

4. the_pauley

the_pauley
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    The first release for the "Exorcist" was as a sale only tape (roughly £40 - and we're talking 23 years ago!) in late 1980. I'm definite about this as I was working in one of the first video shops in Manchester in 1980 and this tape was released in about the first week or two that I was there. It was among the very first batch of Warner titles released. This was when Warner and several other companies were trying to make their movies sale only and were resisting the rental market.

The original release can be identified by a VHS logo and security sticker on a white background at the base of the spine. Later releases had the logo on a blue background, and a blue and red "Rental" logo on the front of the box.

5. the_pauley

the_pauley
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    BTW Spidermanalf, you wouldn't have any VHS tapes from 1974 as the format did not become commercially available until 1978.

6. spidermanalf

spidermanalf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +103
    Ahhhhhhhh good point!!

i will have to have a close look at it and maybe post a pic of it!