Existing iPhone owners frustrated with lack of 3G S upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

KeanosMagicHat

The Telegraph sums up the situation for those existing 3G owners miffed at the lack of a reasonable upgrade policy;

Apple iPhone 3GS O2 customers express anger over upgrade costs

More here;

O2 Makes a Mess of iPhone 3G S UK Pricing

The top of the range 32GB is now 72% more expensive than previous top of the range 16GB last summer;

o2 gouges customers for new iphone 3g s

My thoughts on this are that O2 will eventually relent and sort out a proper deal for existing and currently loyal customers.

(or perhaps that's wishful thinking)

Last edited:
More importantly, should I be worried of low stock on the 19th! lol :rotfl:

monksy74

The Telegraph sums up the situation for those existing 3G owners miffed at the lack of a reasonable upgrade policy;

Apple iPhone 3GS O2 customers express anger over upgrade costs

More here;

O2 Makes a Mess of iPhone 3G S UK Pricing

The top of the range 32GB is now 72% more expensive than previous top of the range 16GB last summer;

o2 gouges customers for new iphone 3g s

My thoughts on this are that O2 will eventually relent and sort out a proper deal for existing and currently loyal customers.

(or perhaps that's wishful thinking)

That's great reporting from the telegraph - no mention that the last time o2 allowed an upgrade they hadn't subsidised the original iphone or that no other network allows users to break a contract because a new phone model is released.

I think gizmodo summed it up better

I have to admit that I think 02 are missing a trick. If they offered the ability for people to extend their contract by 18 months and get the new phone at the subsidised price they'd probably snap it up.

Do this each time a new iphone comes out and they'll have people with 3-4 year contracts.

Alternatively they could offer anyone who has 6 months or less the option to break the contract now and sign up for a 24 month contract but pay the 18 month price for the phone.

Last edited:

KeanosMagicHat

Whilst I appreciate in your post you indicate that we current owners have a point - I was hoping to avoid accusations like the article of us being "Whiners".

This thread was meant for those who are annoyed at the situation rather than those who cannot understand or appreciate that annoyance.

Cheers.

____

EDIT:

Incidentally I'm not on Twitter myself, but for those that are there's a petition to O2 here;

we the undersigned petition O2 to offer reasonable iPhone 3GS upgrade and tethering

Also just to provide further reasons to be p'd off - I've read a couple of reports now that exisiting US customers will be able to upgrade for free !!! (And that new customers pay £185 for a 32GB rather than our £274).

In America existing iPhone customers will be able to swap their handset for the new iPhone 3G S for free - Daily Mail

Last edited:

dodfaefife

I predict an initial period of price-gouging followed by a more favorable offer in the autumn.

But others are right to point out that O2 shouldn't be expected to release people from their contracts early just because a new toy came out.

I'm more annoyed at the pricing for 'tethering' £15 a month extra – I don't think so.

monksy74

Fair enough.

I wasn't trying to turn the thread into an argument - i've removed the link.

I'm also dissapointed that there's no upgrade option, but many seem to be missing the reason why there was last time and think it should just automatically happen again.

Surely it would be better to discuss options that people would be happy with (e.g. contract extension).

hornydragon

Distinguished Member
As a none iphone user i dont see the big deal own the phone for 2 years then get a new one thats upgraded! I dont get it, why should apple be any different to SE, LG, Nokia? ITs a phone!

Can i get a new car cause a new model is released and i havent finished paying for this one yet?

If O2 offered a discounted upgrade to existing owners it would just flood the market with 12 month old iphones which would reduce the sales of PAYG etc handsets.

chelsea.tone

Distinguished Member
As a none iphone user i dont see the big deal own the phone for 2 years then get a new one thats upgraded! I dont get it, why should apple be any different to SE, LG, Nokia? ITs a phone!

Can i get a new car cause a new model is released and i havent finished paying for this one yet?

If O2 offered a discounted upgrade to existing owners it would just flood the market with 12 month old iphones which would reduce the sales of PAYG etc handsets.

Well put HD :smashin:

Butters

Be interesting to see what happens with prices in Nov/Dec time as O2 will launch the Palm pre as well........

boylucifer

As others are saying here I have no issue with O2 not "giving away" 3GS upgrades to existing customer, I did however think they would try to use this point as a way to tie people into renewed deals with them by making the upgrade pricing more attractive, after all I'm sure that in mobile phones all the profit is in holding customers, not in getting new ones...

The bit that really gets me about O2 in all of this is the tethering price, I already pay for unlimited data usage in my contract so why should I pay twice fro data usage - I could understand if they said tethering was included, but limited the monthly usage of tethering to 1 to 2 GB, so as to stop people from abusing it!

stoomc

I'm the same as the majority here. No problem whatsoever with o2 not allowing us to come out of this contract, but I am disgusted with the price of the new iPhone though... it is ridiculous, and also annoyed at what the 3Gs extras are...they could put video on the current one!

hornydragon

Distinguished Member
I'm the same as the majority here. No problem whatsoever with o2 not allowing us to come out of this contract, but I am disgusted with the price of the new iPhone though...

Have i missed something is the GS more than the current model?

hutch

Distinguished Member
We really dont need anther thread like this, I think you have made your thoughts known well enough on the other thread Keano and we are just covering old ground again here.

There is also a upgrade poll thread where you can vote on whether you will be upgrading or not.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom