Existing DVD Collection - Upscale or buy on Blu Ray

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by MatthewTurner83, Dec 29, 2011.

1. MatthewTurner83

MatthewTurner83
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am looking at buying a new blu ray player for under £100; preferably Samsung to go with the new LED TV I am about to also purchase.

I am looking at both the Samsung BD-D5100 & Samsung BD-D5300 (I cant actually find a difference between them yet?!)

My collection of DVDs is vast, I will not be buying them all again but was going to purchase my favourites like the Underworld Trilogy and the Transformers Trilogy on Blu Ray. However, will the upscale function do a good enough job or would blu ray do a better job.

It was the god awful quality (480i) of the Transformers 3 DVD that turned me onto blu ray having seen it in all its glory at the cinema in 1080p 3D.

Surely if upscaling did that much of a good job then everyone would just buy standard DVD and have them upscaled :rolleyes:

2. Badger0-0

Badger0-0
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,921
    I'm definitely not going to replace most of my DVDs with BD, as the difference doesn't justify it imo and I'm happy to stay with upscaled.
    Of course any new films will be BD.

But that's just me, no doubt others will disagree.
    I think it's just a personal choice.

3. jwsg

jwsg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    It's actually all quite simple...

• Upscaling doesn't make DVDs into Blu-rays. ( no-one ever says their TV turns freeview SD into HD do they - same processing though)
    • Buy new films on blu-ray
    • Replace your favourite DVDs as and when you can
    • Get a blu-ray player noted for doing the best it can with DVDs for the rest of your collection. If you can afford an Oppo then great, otherwise a Panasonic or Sony I guess.

4. andyman2

andyman2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    I find it really depends on the quality of the source material. Some dvd's are of superb quality and look excellent upscaled whilst a few I have come across are really poor and look terrible as you have obviously discovered. Upscaling works pretty well as long as the source material is ok. I tend to buy blu for new films, and have replaced a few favourites but in general most of my DVD collection remains and looks good.

5. 961

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +666
    If you buy a good blu-ray player such as Sony you'll find the upscaling quality of the video is so good you'll be happy with many of your dvd discs

The area you may find a little wanting is the sound. Blu Ray discs, in my experience, provide cinema sound that dvd can't match, always assuming your own sound system is good enough

For example, one dvd that I did replace with blu-ray was Top Gun. The high def sound throughout the film was good with dvd, but just spectacular with blu ray

6. nickg1977

nickg1977

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    Also worth noting is that some films will have had additional restoration / remastering before being released on Bluray.
    Obivously this is less likely to be the case with films released in the last few years, but classic movies such as the original Star Wars trilogy, have gone through a remastering process meaning that you are getting more than just a higher definition (if that makes sense!)

Nick

7. skk3

skk3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +242
    Agreed 961, some Blu-rays are only marginally better than DVD anyway. Get new films on BR...

8. MatthewTurner83

MatthewTurner83
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The feedback seems pretty good; buy favourite films and decent future releases on blu ray, everything else can stick to normal DVD.

On a separate note, I see many of you suggest panasonic and Sony for blu ray players. Why not Samsung? Are there any other stand out models I should be considering?

9. jwsg

jwsg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    If you have a vast DVD collection and anticipate starting buying a fair few blu's then at least have a think about the Oppo - or the Pio LX55 which ought to be a capable machine.

10. Badger0-0

Badger0-0
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,921
    I personally can't recommend Samsung, purely because of my one experience with their optical kit. It was a DVD recorder which stopped reading discs, a couple of months out of warranty and literally about 100 hours use :thumbsdow

The Oppo is a great shout, but staying within your budget, consider the Panny BD75.
    I've just bought one and the PQ is at least on a par with my Sony 760, if not better, imo.

Enough change from your budget to get a couple of films too :thumbsup:

11. Turl2

Turl2
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've just purchased (but not opened) at Sony BDP-S480 that will be used with a Sony HS10 Projector over Component. On SD DVD can I expect to get 720P output (the highest the PJ will support) or will I still get plain 576i ?

Will Blu-ray discs output at 720P over the same connection?

I do have the option to connect the HDMI output to a DVI-D input but I'm not sure if this will help and cable routing is a pain.

Thanks for any responses; I'll return it tomorrow if 576i is all it will do.

12. Badger0-0

Badger0-0
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,921
    Good question.

I know they've changed/are changing the specs.

I see this in the manual;

I'm fairly sure it'll upscale DVD to 720P though.

13. Turl2

Turl2
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers,

Just read both the user manuals for the S480 and the Samsung 5500; the alternative player I considered. The Samsung manual states that if the HDMI cable is not connected then Component Output will be 576P on DVD but if HDMI is connected it will be downgraded to 576i ??? Looking at another forum its to do with some new law forced onto the manufacturers probably to do with copy protection (but more likely to force people to upgrade their displays!)

The Sony manual makes no detailed mention of the options other than what you've quoted; at the mo it looks like it only does 576i on Component even with Blu-ray! I don't fancy risking it and it may be swopped for the Samsung tomorrow. It a shame as the Sony has good reviews.

Anyone know different?

Thanks...

14. Turl2

Turl2
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  15. Badger0-0

Badger0-0
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,921
    There may still be a chance.

DVI is basically the same as HDMI.

The only problem is it sounds like your PJ might be of an age where it might have a problem with HDCP.

That's a risk you'd have to take and it would mean opening the box.

If it doesn't work, I don't see a problem with sending it back under the "not fit for purpose" part of the SOGA regs.

16. DrP

DrP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    For Badger0-0, any idea if the Panny will output 576i via hdmi for use with an external processor. Cheers.

17. Turl2

Turl2
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Badger0-0, a quick scan of the forum suggests that the HS10 is HDCP compliant although problems have been reported with early models, fingers crossed!

18. Badger0-0

Badger0-0
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,921
    Interesting question and indeed I was wondering why you were asking it.

So imagine how surprised I was when the immediate answer comes up as no.
    480p and 576p, with no 576i shown as an option :confused:

But further investigation in the manual, shows that it detects what the connected device supports.
    And no doubt I've got my PJ set to progressive, which might explain it.

I've had a quick look at the settings on the PJ, but can't see how to alter the output :blush: (I've hardly used it).
    That coupled with the fact that the missus is watching a film through it and started to get the hump means I'll have to look into this again tomorrow for you mate.
    I suspect it does myself, but we'll see.

19. Badger0-0

Badger0-0
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,921
    DrP,

Scratch the above.

I just had another quick look and it shows 1080i as an option, so my reasoning was rubbish.

It won't output 576i over HDMI.

I've just realised we've totally diverted the thread.
    Apologies OP, but hopefully your question has been answered :rolleyes: