Existing av reciever, or new soundbar ?

The SVS manual quick quide shows the settings and then you will need to run Ausussey assuming you have X2700H.

Did you place it optimally? Small sealed sub i would throw in front corner to get the most grunt! Most manufacturers recommends that including SVS.

You need basic subwoofer cable, one head each end.
Amazon product ASIN B01D5H8GYG

I have an onkyo tx-sr252 avr...at present all hdmi inputs run to the TV with a hdmi running from the TV to the arc on the avr.

That's where the sub is positioned.

And thank you re the cable I'll get one ordered

Attachments

• 16419045038174348896893114534249.jpg
    16419045038174348896893114534249.jpg
    334.3 KB · Views: 44
Re the instructions.... says this, which I've done, but it references an av with an auto setup... this may be the stumbling block as I'm not sure mine has

Attachments

• 16419048176327309704670323916238.jpg
    16419048176327309704670323916238.jpg
    221.4 KB · Views: 43
OK....I has a look at manual and I believe I have to set up, I've pasted the relevant info, might make more sense to you guys...

I've set the front and centre to small, suggesting all the bass gets sent to the sub.

I'm far from convinced in getting the best from things but I think at least its set up right.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220111-142225_Word.jpg
    Screenshot_20220111-142225_Word.jpg
    229.6 KB · Views: 28
  • Screenshot_20220111-142149_Word.jpg
    Screenshot_20220111-142149_Word.jpg
    193.9 KB · Views: 31
I have an onkyo tx-sr252 avr...at present all hdmi inputs run to the TV with a hdmi running from the TV to the arc on the avr.

That's where the sub is positioned.

And thank you re the cable I'll get one ordered

There is an opening where you have the sub directly, not ideal. If you can consider other placement then try that. Hope you ordered long enough cable to try in few spots.

It looks the cheap Onkyo doesn`t have any autosetup with mic so you would need spl meter (c-weighted /slow response) to set the system. But if you looking new receiver then everything much easier..

That will please the Mrs, another 700 on 'black box'

The sub is low left of the TV... not ideal ?

Until you've earned some more brownie points with missus, an SPL cost about £25-£40. As @Gasp3621 has mentioned, look for C-Weighted and Slow Response. Most are Fast and A weighted. So do be careful

When setting up, in the avr's setup menu set the crossover for the sub to 80Hz and then for the levels of each speaker (including the woofer), this wants to be 75dB. Its best to do this when everyone is out of the room as unwanted noise is a pain when setting up plus no-one really wants to sit in a room when you are playing white noise. Make sure you have placed the distances in for each speaker (from the main listening position (your seat ;) )) and that you have them set to small

This should make a nice difference when playing surround sound. Read the manual to find the which buttons and how to navigate the setup process :smashin:

Or....it if upgraded to a denon 2700, it would do that for me ?

I kinda think....I've spent so much, if it means really getting the best, is the 2700 money well spent...

The x7200H should be all you need for quite some time, so if you have the pennies and can sneak it in without getting in to to much trouble, then it certainly a matching upgrade to the woofer. The sound signature will be warmer and much more dynamic especially with film when comparing it to the Onkyo's which are known for being a little cold and clinical around this level

I'm taking jesters comment in mind....if ever I want 9 channels its worth getting the 3700 off the bat...

Do you feel you will be moving down that route in the next three/five years? If yes then maybe, but who knows what new features will be available forcing us to upgrade again in three/five years. Maybe we'll all be wearing speakers then like 3D eyewear to give us a UltraHD immersive experience :laugh:

The aim is atmos.....and if i get the 5.1 with atmos at the front.. I'm prepared to bet I'll want it at the back too

I'm taking jesters comment in mind....if ever I want 9 channels its worth getting the 3700 off the bat...
May as well get hung for a sheep as a lamb, or so they say. Quite a few more pennies for sure but it's ultimately worth it as you'll not need to change if you decide on the best immersive set up of 5.1.4. The big advantage is the superior Audyssey XT32 and it's better ability to integrate the subs.

Remember, it's always best to ask for forgiveness rather than permission. ;)

Or....it if upgraded to a denon 2700, it would do that for me ?’ - I’d stop throwing money at the ‘problem’ and take some time to understand the limitations of how you have things configured and the open plan layout of your room.

If the speaker below the TV in the pic you posted is your Centre Channel and the rest of your speakers are as badly positioned then no AVR ‘room correction’ is going to sort out the system.

Apologies if you have done so already but some additional pics of the Room, Speaker and Seating layout would be handy.

Joe

Or....it if upgraded to a denon 2700, it would do that for me ?’ - I’d stop throwing money at the ‘problem’ and take some time to understand the limitations of how you have things configured and the open plan layout of your room.

If the speaker below the TV in the pic you posted is your Centre Channel and the rest of your speakers are as badly positioned then no AVR ‘room correction’ is going to sort out the system.

Apologies if you have done so already but some additional pics of the Room, Speaker and Seating layout would be handy.

Joe
This is a very crude image but show's the layout
20220109_205525.jpg

Attachments

• 20220109_205525.jpg
    20220109_205525.jpg
    173.2 KB · Views: 23
Your issues are more about loudspeaker placement and room layout rather than kit selection.

Any scope for rearranging to something more inline with the Dolby layout guide - 5.1 Virtual Speaker Setup

Joe

PS That includes setting the Front Left, Centre, Right speakers at seated hear hight.

Thanks for the advice, unfortunately with my room lay out and existing furniture there just has to be a little compromise....its not a dedicated room it's a lounge first.

The sub, front left, centre, and front right are pretty much in position towards that 'sweet spot' as pictured in your link.

That spot happens to be smack in front of the fire place. The chairs can't really be moved....it is what is it. It might not be perfect, but I'd like to get reasonable kit to make the best of what I've got.

I can't get the centre speaker any higher, without it either blocking out some of the TV or it being placed to one side, which would look daft.....I might just have to angle it up in a hope to compensate

Last edited:
I might just have to angle it up in a hope to compensate
Have you considered getting a TV floor stand mount?. These can sit behind your current TV unit and have vesa mounting points to mount the TV on. Something like this:

(Remove the middle shelf). You'll then have sufficient space to position the centre speaker on top your existing wooden cabinet

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
I would experiment with the Front LR placement - swap the Sub and Front L around and bring the Front R closer to the TV and out of the Corner.

As @Jester1066 suggests you need to raise the TV to allow you to position the Centre Speaker below and central to the TV otherwise voices will never be pinned to the TV.

New kit is not going to 'fix' the loudspeaker placement issues.

Joe

Some good points here thank you, I did move the centre to on top of where the TV sits, and whilst it sounded better, looked stupid, so the stand is a good call

Your all time and advice is much appreciated

Some good points here thank you, I did move the centre to on top of where the TV sits, and whilst it sounded better, looked stupid, so the stand is a good call

Your all time and advice is much appreciated
No worries mate. The great thing about these forums is the wealth of knowledge available to help solve various issues etc.

As @Joe Fernand says: new kit isn't going to solve placement issues... It would be a shame to spend your hard earned on quality gear, to not then get the best sound quality because of placement etc. Especially when it can potentially be resolved "easily"

Dobollah.

I was under the impression you wanted Atmos receiver and you talked about Denon so that is why i brought it up. You will need the specific SPL meter to set the levels for speakers/sub with Onkyo, it won´t cost much under 50£. The room plan doesn´t show the opening to another space. Move subwoofer to right side front wall / close to corner = further away from the opening and as folks pointed out optimize the speaker placement to best you can.

I will get the denon..... just looking to overcome the TV height to get the front centre at the correct height, or a better height at least from where it is now

I don't really want to wall mount the TV but the stands I've seen for an 85" TV just don't work so I'm pondering this hurdle too.

I'll move the sub over when the new cable comes.....I've moved the right hand speaker in and it sounds better already...

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom