Exhaust replacement - Mini Cooper S convertible (R52 2005)

AMc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We've been getting advisories on a small leak from one of the back boxes for several years and last year for corrosion on the outer skin of the other one.
It's blowing a bit loud now so I imagine I'll need a new exhaust for the MOT.
I've been googling and I can't find a price for the BWM original part - something that was quoted over a grand a few years back when I first looked :eek:

There are various 3rd party ones but I know nothing about after-market exhausts - Milltek & Scorpion keep popping up.
I'll also need the carriers as they're corroded.
There are non-resonated and resonated parts which seem to affect the volume and/or performance.
Some ads seem a bit coy about passing MOTs and being street legal though :blush:

My partner loves the car. I'm not ruling out the BMW part given the first one lasted 15yrs and we're planning on keeping the car indefinitely.

What am I looking for - any suggestions or recommendations?

Get a custom one made? It’ll work out cheaper than you think.

From my experience though it could have changed recently, original exhausts are not available even if you buy from the dealer it won't be as good as the factory fitted one, you could always get good and bad aftermarket ones, we used to get bosal but no idea if they're still around.

I bought my wife a new Mini Cooper in 2006.
2015 the exhaust failed.
Rusted through the outer skin on the backbox.
Got a custom stainless steel cat back system from my local Longlife exhaust franchise.......Topgear in Stockport/Manchester.
I was under strict orders from the wife.
"No baked bean tin tailpipes and definitely no Chavvy farting sounds" as she does the school run in it!
The fitters took everything into consideration and gave it as big a center silencer as possible keeping it looking as OEM as possible....... although he did try to convince me he'd done several Mini's and could get a really nice sporty note.
Back in 2015 it cost me £375 fitted.
I got to choose from a wide selection of tailpipes.
Kept the OEM diameter rolled tip.
The stainless back box is gorgeous and sets off the rear in a subtle way.
As coincidence would have it I was there THIS AFTERNOON.
It had started blowing at the mid silencer.
Popped down after phoning them.
Waited an hour and a new piece was fabricated and fitted for free.
With the Mini, space for mid silencers is tight and they said it's hard to keep them quiet so bear this in mind going aftermarket in case you end up with one too racecar like!
Anyway, can't fault Longlife custom exhausts.
I'll try and get a better photo tomorrow

Last edited:
Ps......even with inflation I can't see a Longlife exhaust being a grand.
They quoted me £900 today for a twin tailpipe system for my 350z which is alot more pipework than the Mini as it also needs a Y-pipe with 2 Flexi joints from the cats to the mid pipe.

Thanks for the replies. The Cooper S system is a bit more complicated than the regular Cooper from the pics I’ve seen. It snakes in an S with two back boxes one after another. Pics of the 3rd party ones show a Y split to two boxes independently.
I don't mind a bit louder it’s been blowing for years but I don’t want to turn heads or fail the MOT ;)
Off to the test centre now so we’ll see if it’s needed or not.
I've spotted a breakers part on flea bay if push comes to shove :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Well dropped the car off with my mechanic - he was quietly optimistic it will pass as it is or he can patch it to pass.
At some point I'll have to bite the bullet so very useful info.

I bought my wife a new Mini Cooper in 2006.
2015 the exhaust failed.
Rusted through the outer skin on the backbox.
Got a custom stainless steel cat back system from my local Longlife exhaust franchise.......Topgear in Stockport/Manchester.

Had a google now I'm back at the PC. They have a franchise not too far away near Ipswich - if needs be. :) Though they are saying a custom system will be required that's no surprise given @gibbo52 comment.

I put a John Cooper Works back box on my Cooper S, it was great. You won't have to worry about it failing an MOT, as its just a back box.

Only time that would be an issue, is if you replaced the whole system and took the cat out.

Have a look on ebay, I got my JCW back box from there

Well I was right which is a pity :(
Car failed emissions because the hole means they can't effectively test it - plus a worn track rod end.
Mechanic specced a "Kwikfit quality" exhaust but when I mentioned I was looking at Milltek and Scorpion systems (and their cost) he was much happier. He's happy to keep the car - and me the courtesy car - until I can get something delivered.

I'm now YouTubing R52 exhausts Resonated (quieter)

Doesn’t seem loud?
It's quite hard to tell on the overall volume but there's a LOT of popping on the overrun compared to the standard exhaust.
It's also getting quite excitable at the higher revs.
In an ideal world there'd be a video with the standard, scorpion and milltek res/non-res to choose from but that isn't going to happen.
And a lot of the non res videos have had all sorts of other mods as well.
:)

So one of these on the way to the garage - Milltek resonated SSXM008.

Fingers crossed it arrives promptly and the car is back on the road soon :thumbsup:

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
Ooooooo.......that looks nice.
Free metal polish too!
I don't know about on a Mini, but on 350z's they sound really nice but would be over a grand just to supply a Miltek for my Zed :( .
Definitely one of the less Chavvy sounding brands.
Post up pics of it fitted ;)

I think you might be disappointed in how tidy our cars are compared with the pictures you have on Flickr :)
I'll update the thread when the car is back - though by the time it's been driven home across rural Norfolk it'll look like scaffold poles I expect!

Shame I didn’t see this earlier. My mate got his TT exhaust done from that long life place near Ipswich. It sounds lovely, was really good value and he’s had it ages.

No problem, I've been mooching about this for ages but didn't think to ask for advice until it was almost too late :facepalm:
My mechanic has worked on a couple of Minis with Milltek and says they're good quality and he's happy to fit it. It's already been dispatched and should be there by Monday I doubt anyone could do it faster - if they aren't busy then I'd be worried ;)

I've had a milltek exhaust before and was really pleased with it. You've made a good choice.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom