Exercise Bike Recommendation/Options

GadgetObsessed

I cycle outdoors about 3 times a week. My typical ride time is about 50 minutes and I cycle for fitness and use a heart rate monitor. My bike is a mountain bike and I do a mix of road and paths through woodland/country park. I generally record my rides on Strava but I am not concerned about beating my personal best or detailed monitoring, etc.

I use an exercise bike when the weather is not ideal (I am a totally fair weather cyclist) or when I only have a chance to ride after dark. Unfortunately my exercise bike has just died and I am now looking for a replacement. My budget is around £1,000 or so.

Personally I am not too bothered about classes as I am pretty well motivated myself and don't really need someone else or music to motivate me while I ride indoors. However, I wouldn't mind giving such classes a try, or maybe an app like Zwift or something else where you cycle a route on video, etc. just to add a bit of interest. I am not after the best indoor replication of riding a road bike. (I personally prefer a more upright posture to be honest.)

My current/previous exercise bike has a pretty heavy flywheel and magnetic resistance that is smooth and quiet and I would like the same with my new exercise bike.

I have been considering a Schwinn IC8 as a good overall mix of quality, price (£1,100) and flexibility - I can use it with Zwift (although not necessarily very accurately) and Peleton - or just ride without any app.

But I have wondered if I should also consider something like the Echelon Connect 3 (I assume it only works with the Echelon app) or some other alternative?
Any suggestions?

booyaka

Had one for about a year now - Can connect to Zwift if you want but doesn't change resistance like a proper trainer does. Very solid built, bomb proof as we have about 15 of them at my gym that take all sorts of abuse.

Loads of online programs/training sessions can be found on the Concept website.

Leaderboards etc

Can't fault mine

GadgetObsessed

Had one for about a year now - Can connect to Zwift if you want but doesn't change resistance like a proper trainer does. Very solid built, bomb proof as we have about 15 of them at my gym that take all sorts of abuse.

Loads of online programs/training sessions can be found on the Concept website.

Leaderboards etc

Can't fault mine
Thanks for that recommendation - I have put myself on the 17 week waiting list. Not sure if I can hold out that long though.

Currently also considering getting a turbo trainer - a Wahoo Kicker Core at about £700. I can use that with my existing bike which I have set up in a way that is comfortable for me - handlebar raiser and a shorter stem.

If you get a chance could you please measure the maximum height you can raise the flat part of the handlebars to.

booyaka

Turbo trainers are great - very specific to cycling obviously.

But a wealth of stuff to use them with. Zwift, Trainerroad, Sufferfest etc etc - Back in my cycling days I used one through the winter 3/4 times a week - packed it away in the summer as I prefered getting outside.

Moved away from pure cycling now and more crossfit stuff so the Turbo trainer (Tacx 2180 i think?) was sold and the concept bike purchased as my wife can use this and also my son. Where as the turbo trainer was my bike so fixed for me.

GadgetObsessed

Turbo trainers are great - very specific to cycling obviously.

But a wealth of stuff to use them with. Zwift, Trainerroad, Sufferfest etc etc - Back in my cycling days I used one through the winter 3/4 times a week - packed it away in the summer as I prefered getting outside.

Moved away from pure cycling now and more crossfit stuff so the Turbo trainer (Tacx 2180 i think?) was sold and the concept bike purchased as my wife can use this and also my son. Where as the turbo trainer was my bike so fixed for me.
Lack of cross family usage does seem to be a significant argument against turbo trainers. However I have had an exercise bike for years and nobody else in the family has shown any but the briefest of interest - so getting something for me isn't a big issue.

As I am cycling more I have ordered a new bike, so in about 6 weeks my existing mountain bike will be surplus to requirements. So I could use that with the turbo trainer. This option also seems easier to change than a full spin bike like a Wattbike if I don't like it i.e. turbo trainers are more portable and easier to sell on Ebay after a couple of months.

I tried my brothers Schwinn Airdyne air bike - but I struggled with the constant resistance i.e. I felt I had to go uncomfortably fast to really get my heart rate up. I prefer to pedal at a fairly constant speed and change the resistance to increase the effort. At least with the Concept 2 you can change the resistance so that you can find a reasonably hard steady state and can then increase effort by pedalliung faster from there.

Given that I mainly use an exercise bike when I am not able to cycle outdoors the 17 week for the Concept 2 may be feasible.

booyaka

I'm measure later for you - just give me a nudge if I forget to reply

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Streaming Theatrical Releases And The Future Of Cinema
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom