Execution of a Teenage Girl - THURSDAY 27 JULY

raigraphixs

Outstanding Member
Reaction score
Documentary
'Execution of a Teenage Girl'

9:00pm - 9:50pm

BBC2 London & South East

In 2004, 16-year-old Atefeh Sahaaleh was executed in northern Iran for "crimes against chastity", a broad, flexible charge that can encompass any number of perceived sexual misdemeanours, though in this case it related to her underage relationship with a 51-year-old taxi driver.

A troubled girl whose short life had been marked by depression, neglect and abuse, Atefeh was targeted by Iran's "moral police", a formidable force with a virulently misogynistic stance on sex. This extraordinarily powerful documentary investigates the events that led to Atefeh's public hanging, while examining a judicial system that appears to punish those it should be protecting.

It may seem imoral to us, but who are we to judge another countries culture?

Brits always take the high and mighty road dont they?

Instead of going all the way to Iran to judge another culture why not invest all that time and energy solving all the issues in Britian?

There are plenty of teenagers being neglected and abused right here (there for me).

Plenty teenage pregnancies and other such issues. What about that kid who got stabbed by another guy as he was walking past? For no reason!

Those are the issues we should be addressing.

i think you rasie a goood point AML i was only a matter of years ago where people were getting hung because of the colour of their skin in the USA but that wasn't hugely immoral to some

AML said:
It may seem imoral to us, but who are we to judge another countries culture?

Brits always take the high and mighty road dont they?

Instead of going all the way to Iran to judge another culture why not invest all that time and energy solving all the issues in Britian?

There are plenty of teenagers being neglected and abused right here (there for me).

Plenty teenage pregnancies and other such issues. What about that kid who got stabbed by another guy as he was walking past? For no reason!

Those are the issues we should be addressing.
Bingo! It may disturb us, etc etc. But who are we to intervene, and tell them how to run their lives.

And yes, Brits do and always will take the high and mighty road.

Don't get me wrong, I would love to intervene and stop this from happening, but I have no right to - nor does anybody else or for that fact any country (including the US of ****ing A)

Your kidding me , right?

Who are we to get involved? who are we to question if this is right or not? for goodness sake, I will tell you who we are! fellow human beings! There culture may be different but blimey, public exection of a tenage girl for "crimes against chastity", Is just wrong. It does not matter where in the world this is going on. We should be bothered about this, in fact the day we are not and say Oh well just let them get on with it, will be a sorry state of affairs indeed.

Dave-S said:
Your kidding me , right?

Who are we to get involved? who are we to question if this is right or not? for goodness sake, I will tell you who we are! fellow human beings! There culture may be different but blimey, public exection of a tenage girl for "crimes against chastity", Is just wrong. It does not matter where in the world this is going on. We should be bothered about this, in fact the day we are not and say Oh well just let them get on with it, will be a sorry state of affairs indeed.
You may view it as wrong - as do I. But cleary the people who live in that country do not. Otherwise their would be public outcry.

Singh400 said:
You may view it as wrong - as do I. But cleary the people who live in that country do not. Otherwise their would be public outcry.

Well , could it not be that they are to scared to say anything?

Dave-S said:
Your kidding me , right?

so we should get all worked up and heated about this ? what about killing hundreds of civillians including children in Lebanaon which is going on everyday- why are the fellow human beings not getting involved there . Crimes against humanity!, yet something like this (which is still dreadful) will stir up more reaction, the day (now) the we have just let it get on and have a country obliterated is a sorry state of affiars. i don't mean to rant on about it, but the way an isolated ( by which i mean hundreds arent dying) incident gets some coverage and judgement.

PS don't get me wrong i am horrifed by this

Dave-S said:
Well, could it not be that they are to scared to say anything?
Well thats pretty obvious, no one wants to go against what they percieve as the regilious enforces. It's gonna take something big for the people of Iran to revolt.

I caught a little bit of the documentary tonight, I was appalled. :mad:

Seems there is a law for the males and an other for the females.

MOD Note Offensive joke removed and comments referring to it.

This programme clearly indicates to me why we should resist and argue with those who live amongst us who think Sharia law is a good thing. It is barbaric and we should let them know that. We should also hope that democracy finally takes hold in the middle east so that the will of the people and not the authority of evil barbarians takes precedence.

Unfortunately what can we actually do about this ? Look what happens say in Iraq when we and america try to "rectify" a abhorent dictator and all the immoral actions that occur over there. Hundreds of british soldiers loose their lives and its a right mess.

In this case what should we do, its there laws i know its terrible. But i am sick of us sticking our noses into other peoples business and making a name for ourselves. Why cant we be like, say Switzerland, and keep our heads down. How long will it be till a 9:11 scenario in Britain:thumbsdow

We wouldn't like it if the iranians popped over to say how crap our laws were. Like giving peadophiles 2 weeks in prison or letting illegal immigrants run free. Wait ! Maybe thats the answer :mad:

la gran siete said:
This programme clearly indicates to me why we should resist and argue with those who live amongst us who think Sharia law is a good thing. It is barbaric and we should let them know that. We should also hope that democracy finally takes hold in the middle east so that the will of the people and not the authority of evil barbarians takes precedence.

LGS the middle east is big area and covers a lot of countries, Shaira law is not practicised all over the middle east, and democracy does exist in the middle east , in some ares it may not. But to "Blanket" the whole middle east as undemocratic or under sharia law is ridiculous. with Sharia law , i do not know enough to know whether it is a good thing or not. i am sure it has it's positives and negatives- but after watching the programme there are clearly aspects i strongly disapprove of-

also if you watched this programme .I think you will see it was more high level official corruption that contributed to her death than sharia law. Under Sharia Law ( if i am not mistaken) she would have been subject to lashes) it was police corruption which said she was older than she was and gave her the death sentence. She had been raped by police officers ( has happened in the UK too- shock horror not just the middle east) and in order to rid themselves of witnesses and victims they signed a petition to have her arrested - which then leads me to the question - did you actually watch the programme?

Stoatman said:
We wouldn't like it if the iranians popped over to say how crap our laws were. Like giving peadophiles 2 weeks in prison or letting illegal immigrants run free. Wait ! Maybe thats the answer :mad:

i think that is a great point you have made there. paedophiles ruin lives and are free to reoffend. we need to be a little more strict. ( obiviously on murderes and paedophiles)

It's yet another in a long line of tragic cases of breach of human rights in the name of religious fervour. But if you allowed yourself to be upset over all the cases of man's inhumanity to (wo)man going on relentlessly around the world 24/7 then you'd never get anything done, nor be able to sleep at night. Harsh, brutal even, but it's the truth, like it or lump it.

If I had one wish, and didn't want to spend it on a huge lottery win, I think I'd magically eradicate all religion from the planet. It would unquestionably be a helluva lot nicer place without it.

Regards

Mark

shahedz said:
LGS the middle east is big area and covers a lot of countries, Shaira law is not practicised all over the middle east, and democracy does exist in the middle east , in some ares it may not. But to "Blanket" the whole middle east as undemocratic or under sharia law is ridiculous. with Sharia law , i do not know enough to know whether it is a good thing or not. i am sure it has it's positives and negatives- but after watching the programme there are clearly aspects i strongly disapprove of-

also if you watched this programme .I think you will see it was more high level official corruption that contributed to her death than sharia law. Under Sharia Law ( if i am not mistaken) she would have been subject to lashes) it was police corruption which said she was older than she was and gave her the death sentence. She had been raped by police officers ( has happened in the UK too- shock horror not just the middle east) and in order to rid themselves of witnesses and victims they signed a petition to have her arrested - which then leads me to the question - did you actually watch the programme?

oh so giving her lashes for being raped is ok then? Did you know that in Iran its virtually impossible to convict anyone of rape?
Most countries in the middle east are, as far as I'm aware, undemocratic .
Sharia law is widespread for eg Saudia Arabia where thieves are mutilated and adulterers( almost always women) are publicly executed
I admit I dont know enough about Sharia law or the middle eastern cultures( like most of us)but the negatives ,I'm aware of, repel me like forcing women to wear the veil, honour killings, jihads,fatwas on those who express disapproval of Islam.
The only positive I am aware is that people are not allowed to make money out of money. You have to work to earn a living. Overhere the muslim community run a thing called a Kitty from which individuals can borrow money to start a business and pay no interest. The only requierenmdnt being that they make contributions to help others do the same , so its much more community centred and there are no shareholders to worry about.
I'm sure there must be more positives but its the only one I'm aware of. Unfortunately the media constatntly bombard us with negatives so we dont really get a clear picture

Haven't seen it but read the BBC news page, I am shocked but not too surprised.

Things like this will encourage the average person to support regime change in Iran.

I am surprised Komenhi hasn't been assaninated

la gran siete said:
oh so giving her lashes for being raped is ok then? Did you know that in Iran its virtually impossible to convict anyone of rape?
Most countries in the middle east are, as far as I'm aware, undemocratic .
Sharia law is widespread for eg Saudia Arabia where thieves are mutilated and adulterers( almost always women) are publicly executed
I admit I dont know enough about Sharia law or the middle eastern cultures( like most of us)but the negatives ,I'm aware of, repel me like forcing women to wear the veil, honour killings, jihads,fatwas on those who express disapproval of Islam.
The only positive I am aware is that people are not allowed to make money out of money. You have to work to earn a living. Overhere the muslim community run a thing called a Kitty from which individuals can borrow money to start a business and pay no interest. The only requierenmdnt being that they make contributions to help others do the same , so its much more community centred and there are no shareholders to worry about.
I'm sure there must be more positives but its the only one I'm aware of. Unfortunately the media constatntly bombard us with negatives so we dont really get a clear picture

LGS i didn't say i agreed with the Lashes, simply stated that she should not have been executed under sharia law.

LGS i think you are very unaware about the middle east- you make damning statements about the whole of the middle east - with out knowing much about it. I really think you shoudl research more into rather than relying on what you read in papers and see on TV.

with regards to the Veil, you may see it as forced but then you should also notice that a lot of woman like wearing it, and prefer to wear than not.

Honour killings as far as i am aware tend to happen more in India , Pakistan etc, last time i check they were in Asia and not the middle east.

Jihad- as far as i am concerned a lot of these "holy" wars stem from politics, so Tony Blair an GW Bush are as guilty of Jihad as anyone- it's just called another name here.

Fatwas- i agree, no good and should be abolished!

you say " Unfortunately the media constatntly bombard us with negatives so we dont really get a clear picture"- but with all due respect i call that ignorance- you need to see the bigger picture and not just look 2 steps back and 2 steps forward and rely on information seen on TV and Newspapers. i have learnt a lot about the middle east fracas from members here, the internet, books etc.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom