1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Excuse my ignorance. Cough!

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Piglet, Nov 3, 2001.

1. Piglet

Piglet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Right...I'm thinking of getting the loewe aconda. I have a couple of questions.

1. Where is the best place to buy this tv. I cannot find anywhere on the net. :(

2. XBOX and Gamecube consoles output a progressive scan signal via componant outputs. Would the tv display a proper progressive scan image from this?

3. I dislike 100hz processing artifacts quite a lot, are they that bad or not?

PLease find time to reply.

Thanks

2. Piglet

Piglet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Also, one other point: It's a tv that hints towards the merging of televisions and computer monitors. Would it be wiser to make do with my respectable panasonic 28pk3 tv for now and then wait until a fully blown Monitor tv is released. Any idea how worthwile that would be and when they will start coming out?

3. Barry Bingham

Barry Bingham

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Piglet- I take it you have become disillusioned with the Panasonic 32PB50? Anyway I have recently acquired an Aconda after protracted weighing of the merits of the PB50, the Picture Frame Tosh and the Loewe.

I cannot comment on progressive scan and your gaming requirements but can comment on availability and 100Hz processing.

The Aconda is available on the net from Empire Direct. But you can get House of Fraser & probably other stores to match price. Even Sevenoaks have now loppeed £200 off the advertised price to £1800. Bottom line- No need to pay much more than £1500- although the dept stores may charge an extra ton or so for warranty.

As for 100Hz I too was very wary. However I have seen nothing on my aconda which could be described as smearing. I have seen the "net curtain" effect on a poor signal before I sorted out the cabling on Day 2. Since then- just the flicker free stability and no "100hz nasties". The picture is always good and often fabulously intense. Some programmes have a veritable 3D effect- everyone who has seen the set comments on this. It is very impressive.

I do, however, enjoy very strong signals. I would say the Aconda is far less tolerant of weak signal or poor quality input than a 50hz set like my old Panny 4:3. The other downside (which may simply be my set or my lounge!) is possible susceptibility to magnetic fields- small smudges and stains have appeared and disappeared in the top corners- slight and transient but intensely irritating. I've got an engineer coming to look at it.

Its still the best picture I've seen on any widescreen- including smaller 50hz sets. But again, why did you not buy a PG50???

4. Barry Bingham

Barry Bingham

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry- we all know why you (and everyone else) shouldn't buy a PG50. I meant to say why did you not buy a PB50...

5. 9004

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Where to buy your Aconda. It depends on what service you are looking for. Sevenoaks will be able to deliver and install your TV properly (If you have one near you), as will any other independent dealer, although mail order will probably be cheaper. If you buy from a shop you have also got a person to go back to to sort it out. You should also be able to avoid buying a graded set passed off as new, as happened to a friend of mine with a Toshiba set a few years ago (Told to F*** off basically by the mail order bods when he wanted the problems sorting).

As too 100Hz, I've never had a problem with my Aconda, although when I've fiddled with the settings I've been able to make it look nasty (never ever turn on the DNC, it's awful).

Hope you get sorted, you'll certainly not regret it.

6. encaser

encaser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    Piglet,
    if you buy the vga mod you could have progressive scan on the go from your gc's :eek:

7. 9004

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The VGA mod is well worthwhile, although it's been misnamed as it is higher res than that, and also allows loop-through of one other remote controller, so you can hide a bit of kit out of the way, and still use it's remote.

8. Piglet

Piglet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the responses. But i'm still unsure dispite its huge merits wether or not i should get it now or just make do with my existing 28pk3 and decent enough sound system.

I'm still only on my first setup, and only got into the hobby 6 months ago. This is what i have:

28pk3 television

Sony STR-DB1070 amp

Toshiba 210D dvd

REL Q200 subwoofer

B&W LCR600 SERIES 3 centre speaker

A pair of 603 S3 B&W front speakers

A pair of 601 S3 B&W rear speakers

As you can see its quite advanced for a first setup, but it took quite a bit for me to be satisfied. I'm at university now so maybe i should make do with all this and then AFTER university in 5 years time maybe revamp the whole lot to a supreme setup incorperating a top of the range tv for that time period. Perhaps getting an aconda now would be a bit wasteful. I would also then want to upgrade the front speakers as well just to match the qwuality of the picture. Ergh, how far do you go?...

9. Doubledoom

Doubledoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Half the problems attributed to 100hz televisions are actually the fault of the source. It's just that the larger 100hz sets make the faults more obvious.