Exciting news for Pink Floyd fans !

Phil-YAI

Prominent Member
Reaction score
See detai;s here :'Why Pink Floyd...?'

PINK FLOYD REDEFINETHEIR EMI LEGACY

Major Pink Floyd release campaign, Why Pink Floyd…?, to include unreleased music from the archives, collectors’ box sets and complete studio recordings remastered.

Pink Floyd and EMI Music, whose association dates from 1967, announce a comprehensive release schedule, to be launched on September 26, 2011, encompassing CDs, DVDs, Blu-ray discs, SACD, an array of digital formats, viral marketing, iPhone Apps and a brand-new single-album ‘Best Of’ collection.

The legendary band, who are still one of the most successful and iconic artists of all time, recently signed an agreement with EMI which has allowed the development of a multi-format programme of packages, many containing archive material that has been collated during an extensive process between EMI and Pink Floyd for a range of media formats.

I'm certainly interested to find out what the Blu-ray and SACD releases will be. :)

Me too! I thought the chances of getting anything other than Dark Side of the Moon on SACD were less than nil. This is brilliant news for people like me hoping that there is still a future for hi-res releases.

About bloomin time for the hi-res WYWH!:D

Pink Floyd redefine their EMI legacy | EMI Music

The releases, under the banner Why Pink Floyd…?, are designed to appeal to a wide cross section of their fans, with music to excite first time listeners, while super-deluxe box sets will cater to dedicated fans, allowing them to immerse themselves in multi-disc sets, containing alternate takes, unreleased tracks, restored live concert screen films and a live recording of the legendary ‘The Dark Side Of The Moon' performance at Wembley in 1974.

A series of different listening experiences have been specially created for this release: in addition to remastered CDs called ‘Discovery' and the ‘Immersion' CD/DVD/Blu-ray/memorabilia box sets will be a series of ‘Experience' Editions – coupling one classic album with a further disc of related content from that album to offer a deeper listening experience.

Roger Faxon, CEO of EMI Group, said: “This is a unique collaboration between EMI and one of the most creative and influential bands in history. We have worked together for more than a year on this programme which incorporates all the elements that have made Pink Floyd one of the most inspiring forces in modern music. Why Pink Floyd? Because their music is without equal and these exciting new releases will allow music fans to rediscover their incredible legacy and demonstrate that an appreciation for artistic quality never goes out of fashion.”

Storm Thorgerson, the band's longtime Art Director, has overseen the visual design, including new booklets for all the CDs, new artwork for the box sets and menus for the DVD content. Respected photographer Jill Furmanovsky, has edited books of original unseen photographs. Pink Floyd collaborators James Guthrie (in the US) and Andy Jackson (in the UK) have been in charge of digital remastering to the highest audio and audiovisual standards.

Pink Floyd film archivist Lana Topham has supervised the painstaking restoration of many historic films from Pink Floyd's classic era, included in the ‘Immersion' box sets for ‘The Dark Side Of The Moon' and ‘Wish You Were Here'.

First to be available on 26 September 2011 will be:

Expanded deluxe and special edition versions of Pink Floyd masterwork ‘The Dark Side Of The Moon', in a 6-disc ‘Immersion' box set and ‘Experience' 2-disc versions, as well as a collectors' vinyl LP and various digital formats. Plus 14 studio albums, digitally remastered will be available separately or as a box set.

Other initiatives will include a digital marketing plan utilising user-generated content to allow fans to make their own creative contributions to the band's music, plus iPhone Apps which will give a unique insight into Pink Floyd's recorded legacy.

On 7 November 2011, Phase 2 of the releases will include:

Wish You Were Here ‘Immersion' 5-disc and ‘Experience' 2-disc editions, both of which will include bonus material from the band's 1974 Wembley dates, including a 20-minute tour de force live rendition of ‘Shine On You Crazy Diamond', as well as a unique recording of ‘Wish You Were Here' featuring the legendary jazz violinist, Stephane Grappelli. A collectors' vinyl LP will also be available, as will various digital formats.

Released simultaneously will be ‘A Foot In The Door – The Best Of Pink Floyd', a collection of their most well known songs, contained on one album for the first time.

The long-awaited 5.1 version of ‘Wish You Were Here', mixed by James Guthrie, will also be released in parallel via independent label Acoustic Sounds.

‘The Wall', which has sold 25-million double sets and has become a cultural and political touchstone over the last three decades, will be afforded the same exhaustive treatment on February 27, 2012, with deluxe packages including a 7-disc ‘Immersion' set and a 3-disc ‘Experience' edition. A collectors' vinyl LP will also be available, as will various digital formats.

Pink Floyd's official website, Pink Floyd | The Official Site, will be given a substantial relaunch from today. Pink Floyd's FaceBook page now has over 11 million followers.

September 26:
All 14 remastered studio albums ‘Discovery' editions
Box-set of all 14 albums with photo book
Audio downloads of ‘Discovery' albums and box-set
‘The Dark Side of The Moon' – ‘Immersion' and ‘Experience' editions, Vinyl LP and digital editions

November 7:
‘A Foot In The Door -The Best of Pink Floyd‘
‘Wish You Were Here' – ‘Immersion' and ‘Experience' editions, Vinyl LP and digital editions

February 27 2012:
‘The Wall' – ‘Immersion' and ‘Experience' editions, Vinyl LP and digital editions

In 1967 the band comprised Syd Barrett, Roger Waters, Nick Mason and Richard Wright. Barrett left in 1968, to be replaced by David Gilmour. Syd Barrett died in 2006; Richard Wright died in 2008. Pink Floyd have sold over 200 million records worldwide to date.

"The long-awaited 5.1 version of ‘Wish You Were Here', mixed by James Guthrie, will also be released in parallel via independent label Acoustic Sounds."

I was concerned when I first read this news that the SACD of WYWH had been dropped in favour of Bluray, assuming the above is referring to the SACD release which is great news as still my preferred format(over DVD-Audio).

"February 27 2012:
‘The Wall' – ‘Immersion' and ‘Experience' editions, Vinyl LP and digital editions"

Will be very interested to see what this includes, would pray for a DVD-Audio of The Wall(don't think an SACD likely as if you notice it's not mentioned SACD's plural, and don't have or plan to invest in a Bluray player), have always said The Wall would be my ultimate hi-res surround album, I have the Live in Berlin SACD but not the same with guests, I want the studio recording.

Anyway, great news that us Floyd fans are about to be spoilt rotton:D

Last edited:
As you'd expect, loads of discussion over at sacd.net, including further details of the WYWH Immersion Box Set(thanks Claude)....

Here's the content of the 5 disc set:

-----------------------------------

Wish You Were Here (3CD, 2DVD & Blu-Ray Immersion Box Set)

Disc 1
Shine On You Crazy Diamond (Part One) (1-5)
Welcome To The Machine
Have A Cigar
Wish You Were Here
Shine On You Crazy Diamond (Part Two) (6-9)

Disc 2
Shine On You Crazy Diamond (Parts 1-6) Live At Wembley November 1974 (2011 Mix And Previously Unreleased)
Raving & Drooling Live At Wembley November 1974 (2011 Mix And Previously Unreleased)
You've Got To Be Crazy Live At Wembley November 1974 (2011 Mix And Previously Unreleased)
Wine Glasses From The Unreleased 'Household Objects' Project
Have A Cigar Alternative Version (Previously Unreleased)
Wish You Were Here Featuring Stephane Grappelli (Previously Unreleased)

Box set Includes:
40 page 27cm x 27cm booklet designed by Storm Thorgerson
Exclusive photo book edited by Jill Furmanovsky
27cm x 27cm Exclusive Storm Thorgerson Art Print
5 x Collectors' Cards featuring art and comments by Storm Thorgerson
Replica of Wish You Were Here Tour Ticket
Replica of Wish You Were Here Backstage Pass
Scarf
3 x Clear marbles
9 x Coasters (unique to this box) featuring early Storm Thorgerson design sketches
12 page credits booklet

DVD 1 - All Audio:
Wish You Were Here, James Guthrie 2009 5.1 Surround Mix (Previously Unreleased) in standard resolution audio at 448 kbps
Wish You Were Here, James Guthrie 2009 5.1 Surround Mix (Previously Unreleased) in high resolution audio at 640 kbps
Wish You Were Here, Original Mix (1975) LPCM stereo
Wish You Were Here, Quad Mix (Previously Released Only On Vinyl LP/8 Track Tape) in standard resolution audio at 448 kbps
Wish You Were Here, Quad Mix (Previously Released Only On Vinyl LP/8 Track Tape) in high resolution audio at 640 kbps

DVD 2 - Audio Visual
Concert Screen Films:
Shine On You Crazy Diamond Intro
Shine On You Crazy Diamond
Welcome To The Machine animated clip
Storm Thorgerson short film
Concert Screen Films play in stereo and 5.1 Surround Sound

BLURAY
Audio: Wish You Were Here, James Guthrie 2009 5.1 Surround Mix (previously unreleased) high resolution audio at 96 kHz/24-bit
Audio: Wish You Were Here, Original stereo mix (1975) mastered in high resolution audio at 96 kHz/24-bit
Concert Screen films:
Shine On You Crazy Diamond Intro
Shine On You Crazy Diamond
Welcome To The Machine animated clip
Storm Thorgerson short film

----------------------------------

SA-CD.net - Forum

Of course don't forget the SACD release will be seperate to the above(hence no mention), see highlighted comments in my above post.

Wish You Were Here (Immersion Boxset): Pink Floyd: Amazon.co.uk: Music

41nk5DxB-L_AA300_.jpg

£93.60... gulp, good job I've got time to save! Looks a nice set though, will probably go for this as well as the SACD release, as when they release The Wall Immersion Boxset it will be nice to have them matching:)

[EDIT]Hang on a minute, just reading through the details again, specifically the Audio DVD part....

DVD 1 - All Audio:
Wish You Were Here, James Guthrie 2009 5.1 Surround Mix (Previously Unreleased) in standard resolution audio at 448 kbps
Wish You Were Here, James Guthrie 2009 5.1 Surround Mix (Previously Unreleased) in high resolution audio at 640 kbps
Wish You Were Here, Original Mix (1975) LPCM stereo
Wish You Were Here, Quad Mix (Previously Released Only On Vinyl LP/8 Track Tape) in standard resolution audio at 448 kbps
Wish You Were Here, Quad Mix (Previously Released Only On Vinyl LP/8 Track Tape) in high resolution audio at 640 kbps

Those aren't DVD-Audio resolutions, surely they aren't going to be only Dolby or DTS on the Audio DVD disc, would seem criminal when DVD-Audio is seeing something of a comeback this year with releases from King Crimson, Rush and soon Caravan to name a few. Probably won't be buying the boxset at this price without DVD-Audio included, will stick with the SACD, will wait and see with The Wall Immersion set but I'm now slightly less hopeful of a proper hi-res surround mix.

Last edited:
— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
ok I'm swamping this thread now but in my excitement I'm getting whatever info I can find.

play.com have three Immersion Box Sets(DSOTM, WYWH and The Wall) already listed at £99.99 each:eek:

http://www.play.com/Search.html?searchtype=allproducts&searchsource=0&searchstring=floyd+immersion

Would so love to know if The Wall includes a DVD-Audio surround mix, description doesn't really make it clear though, just mentions a DVD Audio Visual which could be anything really. Guess I'll just have to be patient for now:rolleyes:

:censored: the bed! £100 each??!

£300 would all but get you NM first press copies of the 3 vinyl albums!!

Scarfs, marbles and coasters make it all sound like a gimmick suckers dream...am I allowed to be disappointed? :facepalm:

sa-cd.net post - Disbeliever said:

The only Pink Floyd I have ever heard is Dark Side of the Moon, total CRAP hippie noise , It even starts off by a someone saying I am ******* mad.

:rotfl: made me laugh!

Last edited:
Would so love to know if The Wall includes a DVD-Audio surround mix, description doesn't really make it clear though, just mentions a DVD Audio Visual which could be anything really. Guess I'll just have to be patient for now:rolleyes:

It's not looking good for surround on this one. Still I'm excited by the DTSOM and WYWH sets:clap: Can't say I'm overly fussed by The Wall anyway, I'll probably just spring for the Experience version.

It's hard to tell from the wording of the press release whether there'll be Immersion versions of any of the other albums in the future. Makes it tough deciding whether to bother with the Discovery box set, If the remastering is good it'll be hard to resist, but then I'm a sucker for this sort of stuff:D

It's not looking good for surround on this one. Still I'm excited by the DTSOM and WYWH sets:clap: Can't say I'm overly fussed by The Wall anyway, I'll probably just spring for the Experience version.

It's hard to tell from the wording of the press release whether there'll be Immersion versions of any of the other albums in the future. Makes it tough deciding whether to bother with the Discovery box set, If the remastering is good it'll be hard to resist, but then I'm a sucker for this sort of stuff:D

No, the surround mixes seem a strange choice, rather than using the surely most mainstream accesable DVD-Audio format(which of course could also cater for the lower res DD and DTS on the same disc), they seem to have opted for Bluray, and 640kbps which from what I can gather is HD Dolby Digital(if DVD-Audio was niche, what the hell is that!).

Bad news for my wishes of The Wall in high-res surround, just found description for The Wall Immersion set on HMV........

One of the most acclaimed concept albums of all time, The Wall from 1979 is renowned as Roger Waters' Rock Opera dealing with abandonment and personal isolation. Adapted for cinema by Alan Parker featuring Bob Geldof in the lead role, and featuring the unique artwork of Gerald Scarfe the album also yielded the hit single Another Brick In The Wall Pt2. The Immersion version features the classic Studio album digitally remastered and presented as a limited edition high quality boxset featuring rare and unreleased audio and video material, plus a new 44 oversized perfect-bound booklet, a book of original photographs, exclusive merchandise and facsimile collectables.

Immersion Editions present the complete artistic experience. Lavishly packaged in a sturdy 29cm square box, the sets contain remastered, previously unreleased and audio-visual material, plus much additional content – reproduced memorabilia, brand new graphics, art prints, collectors' items, lavish booklets and more.

DISCS 1&2 – CDs 1&2 The Wall digitally remastered by James Guthrie, 2011

DISCS 3&4 - CDs 3&4 The Wall album demos (previously unreleased)

DISCS 5&6 - CDs 5&6 Is There Anybody Out There: The Wall Live (digitally remastered in 2011 by James Guthrie)

DISC 7 - DVD, AUDIO VISUAL Another Brick In The Wall pt2 promotional video – restored in 2011 Behind The Wall documentary Gerald Scarfe Interview Short filmed extract of Earls Court concert featuring animation

44 page 27cm x 27cm booklet designed by Storm Thorgerson Exclusive photo book 27cm x 27cm Exclusive Storm Thorgerson Art Print 5 x Collectors' Cards featuring art and comments by Storm Thorgerson Replica of The Wall Tour Ticket Replica of The Wall Backstage Pass Scarf Prints/Cards of Mark Fisher's stage drawings 3 x white marbles with design of bricks 9 x Coasters (unique to this box) featuring early Storm Thorgerson design sketches 4-8 page credits booklet.

Doesn't sound as though that's being given any surround treatment what so ever:(

So after all this, will probably just be WYWH on SACD, which of course is reason enough for :clap::clap::clap: on its own:)

Last edited:
So after all this, will probably just be WYWH on SACD, which of course is reason enough for :clap::clap::clap: on its own:)

The content on the DVDs is playable on any DVD player so that's probably the reason. I'm interested in unreleased material as much as the surround mixes so I've pre-ordered regardless:) Just got to figure out how to pay for it now:laugh:

Last edited:
More important than any of the above who's doing the mixing and mastering? :cool:

I'm getting like a lot of the online 'audiophiles' (hello hoffman forums) in that I am sick to death of rubbish mastering on 're-mastered' albums.

This is particularly annoying on Hi-res.

I don't see the point, bar ripping off the punters with yet another re-issue, in doing re-masters if you are going to brickwall them.

And yes, several hi-res re-issues have been ruined by that blight of modern album mastering.........

More important than any of the above who's doing the mixing and mastering? :cool:

James Guthrie is in charge of the mastering. He did the DTSOM SACD which I think was pretty good. Of course over on the Hoffman forum I'm pretty sure the favoured version is an early Toshiba EMI black triangle pressing.

Ultimately It'll be down to the band and/or the record company whether or not brick-wall limiting is applied to the final product. Hopefully common sense will prevail..

Last edited:
I'll be buying the WYWH SACD but the rest they can keep. I've loads of floyd stuff bootlegs, countless versions of albums from everywhere bought over the last 40 years that just collects dust. It looks like cashing in once again except this time i'm not diving in and buying everything. Going to the 02 to see Rog tomorrow and making a day of it with the music experience exhibition and buying a tour shirt as a reminder. That's cost enough as it is.

Last edited:
James Guthrie is in charge of the mastering. He did the DTSOM SACD which I think was pretty good. Of course over on the Hoffman forum I'm pretty sure the favoured version is an early Toshiba EMI black triangle pressing.

Ultimately It'll been down to the band and/or the record company whether or not brick-wall limiting is applied to the final product. Hopefully common sense will prevail..
My favourite DSOM is the MFSL version (LP that is). The SACD is ok, but it's not as good as I'd hoped.

Sadly, you are correct. Even more sadly, I have no faith in common sense prevailing as the record companies 'perceived wisdom' is that 'louder is better'.

Still, you live and hope.

it's great this is coming out, but it's going to cost nearly £300 to get three albums i've already bought umpteen times before on different formats, normal vinly, quad vinly, picture disc, cd, remastered cd, special edition cd, sacd, super edition mega sacd, you name it

the most interesting parts are the release of WYWH 5.1 mix which curously states 2009 as it's been rumoured for about 10 years now as coming out in 2005 for the 30th anniversary, as per the 5.1 sacd of DSOTM

it's also fantastic that the quad mixes are finally being released on digital format for DSOTM and WYWH, even if there are perfectly fine bootlegs knocking around. it's just a shame that the audio dvd discs aren't DVDA with lossless sound, instead of presumably DD and DTS. there is lossless on the bluray, but i think less people can play lossless audio bluray than DVDA. it is nice to have the DD/DTS mix so most people can still hear the 5.1 mixes that don't have fancy setups, or it can be played in peoples second setups

another great thing is the tour films. most fans will have these already, but hopefully they will be synched to the 5.1 mixes, particularly on DSOTM. it was a project i've had in mind for years, i wanted to be able to synch with a choice of 2.0, 4.0 and 5.1 mixes, plus a live soundboard recording such as the radio broadcast thats being officially released. whilst it's not going to happen, it would be an interesting easter egg if they stuck the wizard of oz on there too. considering how much the box set is, we are paying enough to get it!

the other interesting thing is the household gadgets stuff. this has been legendary for decades, but absolutely nothing has ever sneaked out and heard by fans. it's a shame the whole thing isn't being released somehow, but presumably it's not that great otherwise it would have been released at some point before

what's a bit strange is the way it looks like a single gig has been split across the two box sets, and the WYWH box having the 1974 winter tour early live versions of animals. i presume this means that animals isn't getting a deluxe reissue in future, which is a shame. it could have made a great 5.1 mix

what's also a bit confusing and strange is it mentions an early mix of DSOTM, but i'm not sure by the tracklisting if we are getting a full version of the album, or just parts of it. there are a few outtakes/alternate versions that have been around for a long time, but it would be fantastic to hear a fully completed early mix instead of bits and bobs. likewise the early live version of "the man and the journey", it would be nice to hear a complete soundboard version. i hear there are plans to release an early 69 show in the future, but not this

regarding the wall, i was hoping the other two dvds would have been one of the original live shows in full. one of the earls court and a nassau colliseum gig have been circulating for a while on video, and i hear a few years ago that when footage was rediscovered for the live shows they were surprised how good the quality was, as the story long said that the wrong filmstock was used and everything came out too dark. roger waters saw the footage and was impressed, but nothing came of it. this was around the time that the is there anybody out there live box set came out.

as for the demos, i wonder which ones will be used. there were two demos recorded, one was a roger waters accoustic demo and the other was a band demo, which has been circulating for a while. it would be nice if both were included in full instead of bits and bobs. it would have also been a good opportunity to release the originally planned final cut album that was to have the movie versions of tracks. they could have also included the movie, instead of the official live cd again. maybe one day we will get a bluray of the movie (there is an HD source that's been shown on tv) with some nice extras like the movie soundtrack

so it's a mixed bag for fans, some great stuff, really great stuff, and a bit of a disappointment that some other stuff isn't included instead of some unnecessary stuff. i'd also prefer a cheaper price than a scarf (is it called gerald?), and some lost marbles

i'd also prefer a cheaper price than a scarf (is it called gerald?), and some lost marbles

I agree with you on that. Still at least they aren't making you pay for vinyl copies as well. That's one thing i've found really annoying about some of the recent special editions. Live At Leeds and Bitches Brew both had unreleased material I would've bought in a flash, but If you want it you have to pay a premium for a format you have no use for.

I agree with you on that. Still at least they aren't making you pay for vinyl copies as well. That's one thing i've found really annoying about some of the recent special editions. Live At Leeds and Bitches Brew both had unreleased material I would've bought in a flash, but If you want it you have to pay a premium for a format you have no use for.

For someone who spends money on decent kit its maybe time to give vinyl another go :smashin:

i would be happy if they would release pink floyds, pulse live at earls court on blu-ray with dts master or lpcm, hoping please:smashin:

For someone who spends money on decent kit its maybe time to give vinyl another go :smashin:

Couldn't agree more. My original copies of Meddle, DSOTM, WYWH, Animals and The Wall all sound better than any of my CD versions and that includes the DVDA and SACD versions of DSOTM.

I have thought about it, but I sold all my vinyl years ago. I'm enough of a music nerd already without starting down that road again:rolleyes:

i would be happy if they would release pink floyds, pulse live at earls court on blu-ray with dts master or lpcm, hoping please:smashin:

it would also be nice if they released a delicate sound of thunder on even dvd. they did pulse but not that

and pompei on bluray would be nice too

is that more BB stuff that isn't on the box set? there's a bunch more unreleased stuff too, there's a few excellent quality boots with more stuff

what's a bit annoying with the miles boxsets is you still have to hold onto the original albums on cd as the boxsets don't all have the albums in normal running order

is that more BB stuff that isn't on the box set? there's a bunch more unreleased stuff too, there's a few excellent quality boots with more stuff

what's a bit annoying with the miles boxsets is you still have to hold onto the original albums on cd as the boxsets don't all have the albums in normal running order

There was a third CD in it with a live set recorded in Tanglewood NJ, August 18, 1970.

The other thing is, none of the re-issues contain the original mix, for that you need the 90's Japanese paper sleeve Mastersound version. All subsequent editions contain digital recreations of Teo Macero's original tape edits so don't sound quite the same.

Couldn't agree more. My original copies of Meddle, DSOTM, WYWH, Animals and The Wall all sound better than any of my CD versions and that includes the DVDA and SACD versions of DSOTM.
Ditto.

I'd love to see some decent concert footage of early Floyd, and Pompeii on blu-Ray would be a good start.

However, It does worry me a tad that no-one seems clear on what will, or will not be included (and at that price I'd want it in tablets of stone) and some of the merch is a waste of attic space.

There was a third CD in it with a live set recorded in Tanglewood NJ, August 18, 1970.

The other thing is, none of the re-issues contain the original mix, for that you need the 90's Japanese paper sleeve Mastersound version. All subsequent editions contain digital recreations of Teo Macero's original tape edits so don't sound quite the same.

ah, and it's different to the BB live disc too. if it's live rather than studio i'm not so fussed. i have pretty much all, if not all, of miles studio albums and most of the official live ones, at least those on major labels. got a ton of boots too

and speaking of expensive box sets, checkout
Miles Davis "Miles Davis - "The Genius of Miles Davis"" @ Miles Davis Global Store

it's $900! and no scarfes or coasters. and it's not even the complete collection

i was lucky to get most of my miles boxsets on the cheap, and most of the normal albums at £5 or less, but when you are talking 60+ albums it adds up a bit

i suppose i paid a lot for floyd too, as each cd was about £12-£14 a pop when they came out. then they did the remasters, but i only bought some of those. then they did even more reissues. unfortunately no legacy edition 2 cd sets, but the box sets take that idea and pump it up a bit, unfortunately with pumped up prices

it's hard to take in that DSOTM is nearly 40 years old, and still an amazing album. and the wall is over 30 years old and roger is putting on one of the most amazing tours ever

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom