Exchanging HDs between computers

Astraeus

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I currently run a Dell Dimension 8100 and in it I run two hard-drives. However, I'm now moving onto a Dimension 2350 and would like to take the HD from the 8100 and run it as the only drive in the 2350. It has a full Windows installation on it but has been running as a slave drive on the 8100. Now, when I run it as the only drive on the 8100, it works fine but, when I try to run it as the only drive on the 2350, I'm greeted with a DOS screen telling me Windows hasn't started properly and then offering me the Safe Mode start-up options.

I then tried a different HD in the 2350 only to get the same problem so it seems as though the 2350 isn't keen on accepting HDs other than its own right now.

Does anyone have any ideas as to how I can run the HD from the 8100 in the 2350, or as to what the problem is?

No, both are IDE. The drive I'm wanting to put into the 2350 is a Seagate ST3120024A, if that helps.

have you changed the jumpers on the rear of the drive to make it from the slave to the primary drive?

booyaka said:
have you changed the jumpers on the rear of the drive to make it from the slave to the primary drive?
I'd tried them on both Master (Primary) and Cable Select options, only to encounter the same problem. It definitely knows the HD is there as the F2 setup menu allows me to view it in the IDE configuration. Only problem is that it is still recognising it, even with the pins re-arranged, as second in the IDE config, despite the number one slot being empty.

semiskimmed said:
have you tried it on slave then?
If you mean running it as a slave on the 2350, no. Would that achieve anything? If so, how?

Ciarán said:
I currently run a Dell Dimension 8100 and in it I run two hard-drives. However, I'm now moving onto a Dimension 2350 and would like to take the HD from the 8100 and run it as the only drive in the 2350. It has a full Windows installation on it but has been running as a slave drive on the 8100. Now, when I run it as the only drive on the 8100, it works fine but, when I try to run it as the only drive on the 2350, I'm greeted with a DOS screen telling me Windows hasn't started properly and then offering me the Safe Mode start-up options.

I then tried a different HD in the 2350 only to get the same problem so it seems as though the 2350 isn't keen on accepting HDs other than its own right now.

Does anyone have any ideas as to how I can run the HD from the 8100 in the 2350, or as to what the problem is?

At a guess I'd say the Hardware differences between the two machines is significantly different enough to be stopping the OS installation on the disk from the 2350 booting in the 8100. Even a different brand of IDE controller on the motherboard (quite likely giving the different product lines you are quoting) is enough to stop XP booting.

Probably have to do a clean install on the 2350 with the new disk in it

Thanks uridium. I had noticed that the BIOS on the 2350 was "A02" whilst it was "XP2" on the 8100. Could that be of note?

I've always started with a fresh hard drive when moving between 2 computers as in the past I never really had a satisfactory windows installation as it still keeps references to old drivers etc. If there's stuff I've wanted to keep on the old drive I've usually hooked it up as a slave D drive and accessed it that way. You will have to reinstall all your software again though.

The issue is that I have over 100 gigabytes of music and video on the drive, it's not so much the issue of re-installing software. I do have a 300gb external hard drive so I will probably, as you've said, format it and start afresh...it's always a lot cleaner that way. And that should then work without any other messing about, right?

I presume you are running windows XP, which as I have found out to my peril manefests itself well within your hardware setup, basically if you change substantial amounts of hardware such as the motherboard then windows chucks its toys out of the pram!

I would think you'd only be able to run the old drive as a slave in the new system, as others have said, because of the hardware differences. If it's a new Dell, remember that opening up the case (/breaking the warranty seal) invalidates your warranty!

could try running a windows repair on the drive, only downside being you will need to repatch all the updates.

I've done it, thanks! Had to format the drive but, as I said, had ample backup capacity on an external hard drive. It's now working sweet-as-a-nut, thanks for all the help.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom