1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Exchanging DVDs in the High Street, Where Do I Stand

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Kevo, Dec 23, 2001.

1. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +145
    Every Xmas I produce a 'DVD Xmas List' and give a copy to family & friends and leave it to them to sort out who gets me what.

For the past two years this has run very smoothly with no 'wrong' or duplicate DVDs purchased.

This year I even included pictures of the covers on the list to aid my 'non-DVD' family in their quest.
    And also for the first Xmas ever, they all have mobile phones and e-mail. How could anything possibly go wrong??

Well it did....Sister messed up and I have now been informed that there is one wrong purchase and two duplicates !!!!!!

It's the dupliacte purchase that is the problem, the 'wrong' one is a barebones as opposed to a Special Edition

Anyway, to the point....

Woolworths (and probably most other shops) won't exchange DVDs unless faulty, which is where one of the DVDs was bought.

Do I have any rights at all or am I stuck with two of the same DVD. Don't know what it is yet...not until Crimbo Day.

Has anyone had any similar problems like this as I've never had to return a non-faulty DVD before?

I know it's probably the one of the oldest excuses in the book...'Duplicate Presents', but this is genuine.

2. BadAss

BadAss
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +182
    Just ask the person who bought it to take it back. As long as they have the receipt and the case aint been unwrapped everything should be ok.

3. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,975
    You have no legal right to exchange or refund, unless the product is defective. That said, many retailers will exchange unwanted, and resaleable, goods, as a goodwill gesture. Those that will usually require an original purchase receipt before doing so.

4. graham.myers

graham.myers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Most retailers will swap the disk - if its still sealed, and some without a reciept. I've got Kylie frmo Virgin with a 19.99 sticker on it. I'm sorely tempted to take it back and get the aussie version.

i have a friend who works as a music department manager at woolies and he has always said that they would swap or refund in order to not rock the boat and create a scene in the shop.

years ago when CDs first started hitting the shops, I had a friend who took his mint condition LPs back to the shops on Boxing day and said they were Crimbo pressies and could he swap them for CDs if he payed the difference. Most shops said Yes! He hit every major high street shop and swapped most of his collection.

5. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    HI,

Technically, without a reciept or some other proof of purchase, you wouldn't be entitled to a refund. However, some will exchange or offer a credit note for the store the item was bought in.

Having said that, most stores at this time of year, will usually exchange titles without a proof of purchase, but WON'T refund you unless you have a receipt or credit card slip of some kind to show.

Personally, I find the best way to do an exchange, is to go into the store with your "unwanted item" knowing how much they sell it for. Go and make your choice of the item(s) you DO want, and only THEN go to make an exchange. That way, there it makes the stores life easier, but also raises a little less suspicion if you didn't obtain the item from that branch / designated store.

However, be warned: HMV and Virgin will often ask you when it was bought, and if it was from that particular branch. If you say X date, and that it was from their branch, then they can check if any copies of that title were sold on the date you give them! If they didn't sell it on that day, then you'll be rumbled, and could be accused of attempted deception by their security crew. (Trust me, I have seen this happen once, about two years ago!)

A store's own-brand plastic bag, can sometimes help you "get what you want".

I know that some of this is repeating what others have said, but just thought that I would state it anyway.

Pooch

6. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +145
    Thanks for all the advice guys.

Went to Woolies today and they said they would exchange it providing it is 'unmarked' and I bring in the duplicate DVD aswell.

Graham...

What's different about the Aussie version of the Kylie DVD?

7. graham.myers

graham.myers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    about £10!!!

its 19.99 in Virgin 14.99 on play247.com and about 9.75 + carriage (£10 for six disks) from aus

8. cuthbertson74

cuthbertson74

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Sounds like Woolies are being a bit harsh.

As far as I was previously aware, you could only get a refund if you have the receipt, but most shops are perfectly happy to exchange goods, even if not faulty. (assuming they have obviously not been used and are in mint condition obviously!)

Iain

9. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +145
    They exchanged it, no problems.

The good thing is that upon the return visit my brother also bought Carrie SE for 7.99 for me in the sales.

Not bad.