Excessive 'Other' Storage Usage

Jimster71

Distinguished Member
Just curious to know how much space is taken up on your main PS5 drive by the 'other' storage?

I have 160GB being taken up at the moment.

The only items on my PS5 drive are:
Spotify (PS4)
No Man's Sky (PS5)
Prime Video (PS5)
Astro's Playroom (PS5)
Art Of Rally (PS5)
WRC 10 (PS5)
Wreckfest (PS5)
DIRT 5 (PS5)
Hot Wheels Unleashed (PS5)
Destruction Allstars (PS5)
OlliOlli World (PS5)
GTA V (PS5)
Riders Republic (PS5)
Gran Turismo 7 (PS5)
Monster Energy Supercross 5 (PS5)

Those take up 477GB. There's 1.16GB in Media Gallery and 5.38GB in Saved Data

I have a load of PS4 games on an external USB drive and Hitman 3 (PS5) is currently living there too.

Any ideas why Other takes up nearly a third of my drive?

Other is 75GB

games and apps 484 GB
media gallery 7.5 GB
saved data 2 GB

I dont have many games installed or ever installed as PS5 is not my primary console - meaning I have never installed and then removed anything as I wonder if thats a factor in the other size.

Astro playroom
Ghost of Tsushima
Horizon west
Horizon dawn + DLC
Just cause 4
spiderman MM
no mans sky
Ratchet n clank
Starwars Sqaudrons
Last of US 2

EDIT - hmm I didnt turn off auto capture for trophies it seems

Also I dont have any external storage

Last edited:

Doctor Hades

Mine is about 59 GB but I do have an internal expansion and external USB 3 SSD with the former used for PS5 games only and the later only for PS4 games, including PS5-enhanced ones. I have 216 games installed in total of which but 63 are for PS5.

I only have 8 games installed on the console storage but despite leaving around 33 GB free for 30 minute 4K HDR video recording which I then upload to YouTube and delete from the console (since you cannot record if you have less than 30 GB free on this drive in my experience), I still see warnings to free up space. Despite not installing any games to the console storage since last September, I have still had to move two games from there to the 2 TB internal expansion SSD, including Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart, otherwise the console complains I need to free storage space even if it's just updating or installing a PS4 game to the 4 TB external SSD!!!

It's really annoying and just highlights how inadequate the PS5's measly 667 GB of usable storage space really is. I don't even play Call of Duty games for example which can use up excessive amounts of storage so unless you only play a handful of games at a time then you are forced to pay for extra expensive storage options or be constantly uninstalling and reinstalling gamed. I personally like to play lots of different games over a long period of time so like to have an "on tap" library of titles that I can easily dip in and out of.

Anyway, to get back to the subject of the topic, I am not sure what is eating into the console storage on my PS5 but I had to move the last game after installing Gran Turismo 7, both PS5 and PS4 versions (the latter for temporary comparison testing only) to the internal and external expansion SSDs respectively.

I actually had a scare a couple of weeks back when my PS5 was booting to a black screen with flashing blue lights on the console. This was incidentally at the same time a new firmware update was released so I figured it might have something to do with it. After several attempts at shutting down and starting with the same issue, I decided to boot into Safe mode where I was able to access the download system update via the internet option and my console finally booted to the Home screen upon installing but after the usual warnings about the storage not been disconnected properly messages followed by repairs (which never happens on Xbox Series X by t by the way). I then checked the Storage option and was shocked to see the console storage been reported as having 0 MB free! This was why the console hung and why I had to move yet another game to the internal expansion drive. And, no, there was no video recordings. Last time I checked I had the usual 30+ GB free but it disappeared (remember I have not installed anything to the console storage in over 5 months).

I love my PS5, I think it is a fantastic console with some stunning games especially the first-party releases which are better than anything currently on Xbox, but the console itself is frustratingly buggy still 15 months after launch. Seemingly, everything you download, whether it be a PS4 game to an external drive, is downloaded first to the console storage then moved to whatever drive it is intended to be installed to. Why else would the system ask to free up space on the console storage when I am downloading a game to the external USB 3 SS? I have my PS5 set to install PS5 games to the internal expansion SSD and PS4 games to the external SSD. Sony really need to make improvements to the console such as removing the scaremongering device removal error when the console crashes as well as allowing games to be moved in the background like on the Xbox One/X and Series X|S consoles.

Last edited:
Yeah Sony - good at marketing, great at getting great games on there console but prices/charges for stuff and the actual system it self ... not so much. I can forgive it to play GoT and LOU2 etc though.

bananaman

I had this recently where my 'Other' was totalling over 300GB!

After advice from elsewhere, I quiesced the PS5 into Rest Mode (making sure there were no background downloads, etc. taking place), and then - when it was stable in Rest Mode - pulled the power lead out the back of the console.

When you plug it back in, it will chastise you for being reckless and then safely restart the PS5. Once it was back up to the dashboard, I then checked 'Other' and it was down to 27GB!

Use advisedly and at your peril, but it worked for me.

bananaman

By the way, from my situation, I think it was when I was having issues with my home broadband dropping and interrupting active downloads. Each time the broadband dropped, I could restart the download manually, but each failed/interrupted download seemed to leave a footprint in the 'Other' folder. I think the brutal reboot outlined above forced the console to check what was needed, etc. and tidy itself back up.

Wing80surfer

I had this recently where my 'Other' was totalling over 300GB!

After advice from elsewhere, I quiesced the PS5 into Rest Mode (making sure there were no background downloads, etc. taking place), and then - when it was stable in Rest Mode - pulled the power lead out the back of the console.

When you plug it back in, it will chastise you for being reckless and then safely restart the PS5. Once it was back up to the dashboard, I then checked 'Other' and it was down to 27GB!

Use advisedly and at your peril, but it worked for me.
Would the rebuild database option from safe mode achieve the same but without the risk of bricking the console?

So I checked today to update the OS and after it rebooted and did a database clean (which is did as part of the update it has dropped by around 8GB to 67GB - I then deleted Last of US 2 (PS4 game) and it dropped from 67 GB to 46 GB. This other part is a real mess, 20GB for a single game, sheesh.

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung S95B QD-OLED Review - A Quantum Leap for OLED!
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom