Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Excessive hiss on Sony strdb790?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by JudgeBaxter, Oct 12, 2004.

Tags:
  1. JudgeBaxter

JudgeBaxter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    Hi there,

New to the forum and home cinema so please bear with me!

I recently picked up an ex-display Sony strdb790 amp which is running Mission 702e floor-standers allround and a Paradigm centre and sub.

I didn't get the right remote (think it was one from a lower spec sony av-amp - seems to do most functions but not all) and I have down-loaded the instructions from the net - have a new proper remote on order from sony.

I'm getting loads of background hiss through the speakers. This happens as soon as the amp is switched on, and doesn't matter if i have the dvd player or tv switched on or running, so I am assuming it must be the amp itself that is causing the problem. I've been through the set-up instructions and checked and re-checked the speaker connections for the right + & - connections etc. The Missions are 8 ohms and I've set the switch on the back to both 8 and 4 ohm positions - still hisses!!

Am I missing anything obvious? Have any other Sony 790 owners had this problem on initial set-up and then found an appropriate setting to sort it out? The amp itself seems to work fine when running dvds and I'm getting good image placement and good effects/bass when watching a movie - but as soon as you get some quiet dialogue etc. you can hear the ever-present hissing noise. I'm using budgetish interconnects - and cable (NOT the crap stuff that was supplied - Vivanco/Pro-wire stuff mostly) but surely that can't be causing this amount of noise?

Sorry it's a bit vague but any ideas/hints/tips (no matter how obvious) would be greatly appreciated as I'm hoping to avoid having to send it back to Sony!

cheers,

Dave B (JudgeBaxter)

PS sorry about the war & peace first post!!

2. MagicBoy

MagicBoy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Sorry, not had a similar problem with hiss.
    Does it only affect analogue inputs, or digital as well?
    Any problems with the tuner?
    Have you tried doing a factory reset?

The correct remote is the RM-PP412. Bad piccy here