1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Excessive hiss on Sony strdb790?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by JudgeBaxter, Oct 12, 2004.

Tags:
  1. JudgeBaxter

JudgeBaxter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    Hi there,

New to the forum and home cinema so please bear with me!

I recently picked up an ex-display Sony strdb790 amp which is running Mission 702e floor-standers allround and a Paradigm centre and sub.

I didn't get the right remote (think it was one from a lower spec sony av-amp - seems to do most functions but not all) and I have down-loaded the instructions from the net - have a new proper remote on order from sony.

I'm getting loads of background hiss through the speakers. This happens as soon as the amp is switched on, and doesn't matter if i have the dvd player or tv switched on or running, so I am assuming it must be the amp itself that is causing the problem. I've been through the set-up instructions and checked and re-checked the speaker connections for the right + & - connections etc. The Missions are 8 ohms and I've set the switch on the back to both 8 and 4 ohm positions - still hisses!!

Am I missing anything obvious? Have any other Sony 790 owners had this problem on initial set-up and then found an appropriate setting to sort it out? The amp itself seems to work fine when running dvds and I'm getting good image placement and good effects/bass when watching a movie - but as soon as you get some quiet dialogue etc. you can hear the ever-present hissing noise. I'm using budgetish interconnects - and cable (NOT the crap stuff that was supplied - Vivanco/Pro-wire stuff mostly) but surely that can't be causing this amount of noise?

Sorry it's a bit vague but any ideas/hints/tips (no matter how obvious) would be greatly appreciated as I'm hoping to avoid having to send it back to Sony!

cheers,

Dave B (JudgeBaxter)

PS sorry about the war & peace first post!!

2. MagicBoy

MagicBoy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Sorry, not had a similar problem with hiss.
    Does it only affect analogue inputs, or digital as well?
    Any problems with the tuner?
    Have you tried doing a factory reset?

The correct remote is the RM-PP412. Bad piccy here