Excessive charges on leaving Be

Discussion in 'ISPs & The Internet' started by Danieluwe, Aug 2, 2012.

1. Danieluwe

Danieluwe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +126
    I've been with Be broadband and later their landline for around 5 years with no issues but fancied moving up to fibre with no info as to when and if be would provide,

Signed up with sky fibre in middle of june with install date at the end of june, got some emails of be at this time saying sorry your leaving etc,

my service switched over at end of june and then received email from be stating i would have to pay for service until the middle of july. This I assumed was the one months notice period so even though I wasnt receiving the service I was happy to pay to cover the one month period.

Come end of the month and Be slap my account with a £64 charge, on speaking to be they state the charge is for early termination of a contract and for not providing them with one months notice.

I've called them and pointed out I've been with them for over 5 years so how can I still be in contract, this they have accepted but still want £40 for not giving a months notice. I pointed out that they had been aware for a month as they contacted me in june to confirm the account would be closed and that they had billed me for july even though I didnt have any service for them.

I can accept paying for the month, I can even accept an early cancellation charge but its slightly cheeky to charge for both, personally they can have one or the other and to take it from my account with no notification just adds the finishing touch.

As it stands just waiting for a call back from their cancellation department to discuss my issues. Not confident its going to be a good answer!

2. Danieluwe

Danieluwe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +126
    Well after a long and heated discussion Be have agreed to refund the cancellation charge, they still say they are right to charge it but as Ive been a customer for so long they are willing to waive it,

Still think they shouldnt have taken such a large amount without any notice but at least its coming back!

3. lancguy

lancguy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    but if you got a mac from them then that means you cancelled if you gived it to sky

also if you told them your leaving and confirmed it then they shouldnt try charge you in first place

i just hope o2 dont try it with me when i leave in sept

4. Trist

Trist

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,261
    I've also been a happy Be customer for a fe years. Also just left to switch to Virgin fibre optic so I don't have to pay BT for a phone line I never use. Cancelled with one months notice but when cancelling they offered me 12 months half price. If their normal prices where close to this cheep then I wouldn't have been thinking of cancelling.

Cancelled on principle, bloody annoying that you have to threaten to leave before they offer more competitive prices.*

* Be are certainly not alone in doing this. There must be some mileage on offering a kind of long term loyalty scheme in order to stop this?